Who wears their Crown & Anchor pin? WHY?

Censored

We just hit diamond with the last cruise and anticipate I’ll never wear one, even if pinnacle happens.  

Did pack our emerald pins on one cruise with some friends to wear as a joke.  (But even then didn’t put it on.) That is the only reason I would wear one.   Not one of the perks are connected to actually having a pin on so really not a factor.  

Next tier for us would be pinnacle - hubby says he would never wear the pin, but then that is maybe 5 years off so all is hypothetical. There should be something creative to do with these though. Hubby just sticks his on the strap of his lariat (although it really is not noticeable). Anyone have any ideas?

On a recent cruise we witnessed a couple who were pinnacle wearing their pins, they made comments about how other cruisers did not know what they were doing and the whole week we saw them with their pins on everywhere they went.  I think sometimes if you have to wear a pin for importance you have lost the reason to cruise.  Being Diamond almost diamond plus does not make me better than a first time cruiser it just makes me better acclimated to the ship so I can move around easier.  I believe pins and other awards are for those who feel the need to show off.  When I cruise I just want to relax.  I will never forget that couple as when we left the ship they were on our shuttle bus to the Park n Go and were still making comments about how new cruisers just did not know what they were doing.  Bad Look for them but it takes all kinds in this world.  

15 minutes ago, roiemike said:

On a recent cruise we witnessed a couple who were pinnacle wearing their pins, they made comments about how other cruisers did not know what they were doing and the whole week we saw them with their pins on everywhere they went.  I think sometimes if you have to wear a pin for importance you have lost the reason to cruise.  Being Diamond almost diamond plus does not make me better than a first time cruiser it just makes me better acclimated to the ship so I can move around easier.  I believe pins and other awards are for those who feel the need to show off.  When I cruise I just want to relax.  I will never forget that couple as when we left the ship they were on our shuttle bus to the Park n Go and were still making comments about how new cruisers just did not know what they were doing.  Bad Look for them but it takes all kinds in this world.  

They are definitely some people like that. The first cruise that we ever took on Royal after we had been cruising Norwegian we met a couple in the coastal kitchen day 1 of the cruise. We saw them a number of times after that and over that week the wife must have said “Diamond Plus” 10 million times (and we definitely knew every possible benefit that came with being a diamond plus before the week was done because she mentioned them all a few times). 🤣

About cruise number 4 I noticed these gold bar pins some were wearing. I thought there was a convention aboard the ship and when I got on an elevator with a couple wearing 'the' pins I asked if they were part of a convention group...he stood up straighter and declared, no, we are pinnacle. 

Our status is diamond, a few cruises away from plus...I will never wear a pin nor do I mention my status when talking to the crew. There was a time when I looked forward to the discounts on balcony and suites as a part of our level but that really doesn't apply anymore. Now it's about some of the little perks, like not having to buy my wife the specialty drink package, and getting aboard the ship easier.

FWIW, I doubt we will ever hit pinnacle and once we have plus I expect we will begin to mix up our cruises between Royal and Celebrity. We cruise because we really enjoy it and already have 3 booked in 23 and looking at cruises for 24.

I could see Pinnacles wearing them to the top tier events. Aside from that it seems a bit much to me.

I saw a couple wearing them at the pool one day, in their swimsuits. I chuckled at the thought of them thinking that anyone was impressed.

I have met several Pinnacles who were super nice and did not call any attention to themselves until the conversation steered to how often they cruise. 

We have worn a pins a few times, it was a bigger thing about 10 plus year ago - especially on "Formal Night".  We have them, and have not worn them in a few years, however the older I get the more I don't care what people think about what you wear or don't wear.  

Everyone has a different cup of tea!!

We were talking to Super Mario on a cruise earlier in the year and he never wears his Pinnacle badge (I guess he is so well known that he doesn't really need to). But he told us a story of his earlier days at Pinnacle. He was wearing his badge and was walking around the pool deck when a guest mistook him (because of the badge) as being a member of staff. They asked if he could fetch them some towels. He played along and did just that whereupon they asked for his name so they could recognise his exceptional service in their cruise feedback. Of course, this resulted in a puzzled Hotel Director asking to speak to Mario and wondering how to handle the approbation. Hence, he gave up wearing his badge.

We only wear our badges to the Top Tier event and to the Meal/Cheers with an officer - and that is only because the Loyalty Ambassadors have asked us to. Otherwise, it just feels a little pretentious.

We received emerald and diamond pins but I don't remember if they were left in our cabin or mailed to our home. I agree with @Jill, it doesn't bother me if people wear them or not. Actually, I'm not sure I would even notice if the pins were being worn. My memory is that they are rather small. 

Not sure if Pinnacles would agree, but it's a great conversation starter!  For lower-tiered C&A members like myself, I can really learn a lot from avid cruisers and have enjoyed any conversation I've struck up with someone at Pinnacle.  I say wear that pin proudly!  Heck, even I'M proud of your achievement, you should be too!!  

Live and let live... If somebody has earned something let them show it if they want.  How many drive fancy cars or live in big houses or wear custom tailored suits? I doubt that those opposed to pins in the higher ranks ranks here would be open to non d or d+ using their lounges? So maybe you don't wear pins but you're still proud of the status you've achieved?

1 hour ago, HeWhoWaits said:

My wife has them attached to the lanyard she uses for her SeaPass. Mine are in a drawer or three somewhere at home.

This is me exactly I have them stuck on my lanyard and they really are not noticeable at all. My wife has never opened or used hers I believe she left them on the ship. Definitely to each their own. We got to chatting with a Pinnacle guest in the pub last cruise and they can share some of the best stories of cruising back in the day.

We have all of the pins up to diamond.  Never wore them. 

I've always thought it was a strange thing to be proud of my status. Wearing it  on your sleeve shouts "look at me! I've spent my kids inheritance and a bunch of time on a cruise ship!"

We cruise because we enjoy it. We enjoy the perks of our status, but never think of it as something to put on display. 

I like having them. They're fun, small round shiny things. Just made Diamond (but should be getting the pins on the next cruise).

The mom and I wore our Platinum and Emerald pins on our lanyards with our sea pass. More to mark it as our Royal Caribbean Lanyard than anything else I think.

TBH if I ever make pinnacle not sure I'd wear the bar just cuz it's bulky unlike the small round pins that can be easily placed anywhere.

But in response to OP...it has nothing to do with "ooh I'm special look at me." I like things I have and I like to wear them regardless if anyone else notices them or not.

Have up through D+ pins.  I don't wear them.  They are collecting dust on a shelf at home with some photo albums and other trip knickknacks we have collected over the years, including our crystal blocks and my little Delft House collection from KLM Business class 😅

I don't think they're pretentious, per se.  They just aren't something I would affix to my wardrobe while cruising.  I'd rather Royal color-code the room keys by loyalty tier to subversively flaunt one's status.  lol.

15 minutes ago, Fairlynew said:

I am a diamond and have never gotten a pin for any level-nor has it mattered to me to find out why.  I can't imagine a situation where I would want to wear it.

You can get one by contacting Crown and Anchor or the Royal Ambassador on your next cruise.  I remember wearing it once at formal night, but by the end o the cruise I had misplaced it.  Lesson learned, keep it at home with souvenirs.  I may try to do a Disney thing and pin them all to a lanyard.

3 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

My wife has them attached to the lanyard she uses for her SeaPass. Mine are in a drawer or three somewhere at home.

Thanks for the idea. Will see if I can find them. I got my D+ , but not sure where the others are. As others have mention some where in the house collecting dust. Maybe when I downsize I'll find them😬