find another cruise line!

I had planned a cruise in September on the Odyssey of the Seas. Unfortunately, I had open heart surgery a few months ago, and won't be fit and fully healthy until the end of the year. I had requested my $500 deposit back, but was told NO............I'm a senior citizen on a fixed income and $500 means a lot to me, but apparently not to them. I can't believe how unsympathetic and greedy this company is. Once they have your $$$$, don't expect any help. If you cruise with them, it's at your own risk if anything unexpected happens to you. FIND ANOTHER CRUISE LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALAN

I'm sorry you are having health issues. I do wish you rapid healing.

Unfortunately, if a cruise is booked with a nonrefundable deposit, that's pretty much what it is unless you cover it with travel insurance.  The terms are written on the invoice.  Some cruises book with refundable deposits, some don't, and some give you a choice.  As a consumer it is up to you to know the terms under which you are agreeing by putting money down.

image.thumb.png.d665c25db86a0c014bf3de04df883526.png

2 hours ago, alandw48 said:

I had planned a cruise in September on the Odyssey of the Seas. Unfortunately, I had open heart surgery a few months ago, and won't be fit and fully healthy until the end of the year. I had requested my $500 deposit back, but was told NO............I'm a senior citizen on a fixed income and $500 means a lot to me, but apparently not to them. I can't believe how unsympathetic and greedy this company is. Once they have your $$$$, don't expect any help. If you cruise with them, it's at your own risk if anything unexpected happens to you. FIND ANOTHER CRUISE LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALAN

That is quite unfortunate, though it isn't really anybody's fault. It isn't entirely at 'your own risk', though if you choose not to buy a travel insurance, then that is certainly a risk you are taking.

Get well soon and I hope you have a speedy recovery.

As others have mentioned you purchased a cruise with a non-refundable deposit.   In the future you should look for fully refundable fares.  Like with airline tickets fully refundable cost more but they are fully refundable.  

Your credit card company might include travel insurance.  I suggest you inquire with them if your card does include travel insurance benefits.  

Not trying to be unsympathetic, but it's up to the consumer to read all policies whenever booking a cruise or anything else. I get it that a lot of people maybe try to cruise on the cheap and therefore look for the cheapest price, but with that comes potential consequences.  Again, I am sorry this happened to you and wish you good health. All you can do now is to take this as a lesson learned and make sure it never happens to you again whether its with another cruise line or anything else. Always read the fine print and ask questions before plunking down any money.

Like the others, I hope you have a speedy recovery.  If your intent is to cruise when you are healed, I suggest you look into the special "cruise with confidence" pandemic program.  It seems that it would work for you as it runs for cruises through September 2022.  (For all bookings as of the end of this month) You won't get your deposit back but it would be applied to any cruise you would take within a year of your original sail date.

7 hours ago, alandw48 said:

ALAN

I'm sure your (nonexistent) cancelation insurance will cover it.  Get well soon.

I really don't like when this happens on this site. All too often, people join just to rant in absolute anger about getting "screwed over" because they had not done their due diligence.

Just as @smokeybandit said, this was going to be the outcome with any of the cruise lines when you book with a non-refundable deposit.

The truly sad part is that many of the "Join/Rant/Leave" members, as I like to call them, don't return after typing their vitriol to get what could actually be some useful advise.

i.e, Cruise With Confidence, only book refundable fares, travel insurance, etc.

15 minutes ago, SPS said:

The truly sad part is that many of the "Join/Rant/Leave" members, as I like to call them, don't return after typing their vitriol to get what could actually be some useful advise

I suspect that when the poster does not get the sympathy that they are seeking (usually), they have no desire to return.  Just a guess....

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I suspect that when the poster does not get the sympathy that they are seeking (usually), they have no desire to return.  Just a guess....

This... I wonder why someone with a severe health problem wouldn't return to answer with so many empathic responses. 🤔

17 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Maybe if the tone of the original post was different, the replies would be too.

Poster is upset, understandably with a major health crisis, and a loss of what he  feels is big money on a fixed income.  I think his reaction is reasonable for what he feels is a bad situation.  We can educate him and if he comes back (or others new to the board read his posts and responses)he’ll see a bunch of posts with good info.  The posts that chastise….in my opinion are not productive and make the board look bad.

I think it's really the perception of a piling on when the point had already been made. 

I can tell you that I expect a response to whatever anyone states that could be seen as critical of RCI to basically be "Did you read the cruise contract, they can do anything they want".  I am never disappointed when expecting that response, and it's usually many saying the same thing.  

There should be an obligation for anyone to be an educated consumer, but the fact that a company can do something, doesn't always mean they should.

Now, I don't want to be someone piling on, and I don't know if any consideration was offered to the OP given their situation, but the $100 change fee with a NRD is clearly written in a lot of places and I imagine they were offered a FCC for the balance of the deposit.  While it's probably not typical, it would be nice if they would have offered the ability to transfer that to someone else, or eliminate the 1 year expiration to allow for recovery to be able to cruise.  

31 minutes ago, Pattycruise said:

Poster is upset, understandably with a major health crisis, and a loss of what he  feels is big money on a fixed income.  I think his reaction is reasonable for what he feels is a bad situation.  We can educate him and if he comes back (or others new to the board read his posts and responses)he’ll see a bunch of posts with good info.  The posts that chastise….in my opinion are not productive and make the board look bad.

I agree - the lack of empathy and the pile on on the boards, any of them, is sometimes astounding to me. How could they be anything other than “one and done”.

I don't trust Royal as far as I can throw them.  They refused to refund me trip insurance on a cruise THEY canceled.

In this environment and even with a FCC, It is foolish to book a cruise with them until the very last minute.   Too much can change outside of your control.  Too much contractually in their favor once they have your cash.  90 days or 60 days out for full payment is too big of a risk.  Especially if you have been burned by them.  

I've to a FCC burning a hole in my pocket and desperately want to travel.  But no way will they get any additional cash until shortly before departure date.  

When I see "I'm a senior, on a fixed income" the first thing that pops in my head is ... why are you booking a cruise vacation if you can't afford a cruise vacation?  Fixed income or not, don't put a deposit down on something you can't afford.  

59 minutes ago, therealbigredrules said:

They refused to refund me trip insurance on a cruise THEY canceled.

Royal is not an insurance company.  The insurance company they resold to you did not refund the insurance policy.  That's in the terms and conditions.  In theory you had coverage from the moment you booked the cruise.  If a covered event occured before the pandemic hit you could have used the insurance.  Just because you didn't make a claim in that period does not make insurance refundable.  However in my case in the same situation the insurance company through Royal offered to transfer coverage to another booking.  

I know you want to hate Royal, but insurance is on the actual insurance company policy.  

28 minutes ago, twangster said:

When I see "I'm a senior, on a fixed income" the first thing that pops in my head is ... why are you booking a cruise vacation if you can't afford a cruise vacation?  Fixed income or not, don't put a deposit down on something you can't afford.  

When I see that statement my thought is that we're (nearly) all on a fixed income. My income is fixed by my employer in the form of the salary they pay me. I *might* be able to find a different employer who will pay me a higher fixed income, but I *might* also lose that income.

At least seniors on Social Security have a guaranteed minimum income (unlike those still working) and they get an annual increase that usually mirrors inflation from the previous year. Pay raises in the working world rarely keep up with the increases received by those on a "fixed income."

(Okay - off my semantics-based soapbox).