Vax/Unvax Onboard Enforcement

Wanted to share my thoughts on this and see what others think. RCI has made it clear that on cruises where vaccines are "highly recommended" that there will be an upfront testing cost for unvacccinated passengers. They have also mentioned additional protocols, which I think many of us assume means masks. I'm wondering how they will enforce these onboard protocols, eg if staff see someone not wearing a mask, how will they know if they are vaxxed? I can only think of a few options:

1. Market for vaxxed, such as a wristband. This would have to be replaced every day throughout the cruise though, as wristbands don't last, and it would be VERY easy for someone to share their wristbands. They could also do a sticker on the SEAPASS card, but then no one would see it unless the person was paying for something. 

2. Do what every grocery store in America seems to be doing and leave it up to the honor system.

Anyone think of any other options than these two? First one puts a lot of pressure on the staff and enforcement, and second one is essentially the same as recommending that unvax on the ship wear a mask but not requiring.

29 minutes ago, JSB_Z51 said:

Not to HIjack the OP's thread - The requirements of the cruise have changed, additional cost for the unvaxed, masks etc.  Is that enough of a change to get a refund?  

RCL hasn’t released any guidance for cruises leaving from the US yet.  They closest we have is the following for cruises leaving from the BAHAMAS …….. I’m thinking leaving from the US shouldn’t be much different …… hopefully …..

690DDF03-2560-47AA-BB46-1C2980961AF8.png

353CD994-219A-4C7F-B6C1-2532178B577C.png

49 minutes ago, JSB_Z51 said:

Not to HIjack the OP's thread - The requirements of the cruise have changed, additional cost for the unvaxed, masks etc.  Is that enough of a change to get a refund?  

Unfortunately the only thing that will qualify for a full refund at this point is if Royal cancels the cruise. 

That may change when they officially announce the protocols, but they still have Cruise With Confidence available and may only offer that FCC as the option.

17 hours ago, nate91 said:

1. Market for vaxxed, such as a wristband. This would have to be replaced every day throughout the cruise though, as wristbands don't last, and it would be VERY easy for someone to share their wristbands. They could also do a sticker on the SEAPASS card, but then no one would see it unless the person was paying for something.

Been to a number of resorts where I had to wear a wrist band the whole time even over a week in length.  Only one had to have one replaced.

If properly applied its pretty hard to even get it off with out evident damage, can't see sharing as a problem

But I'm ok with whatever approach they choose, just as long as I'm not required to mask while on my cruise

I just really hope it's not the honor system....the honor system is bunch of bull.

But I also have to wonder if people will fight the staff on the cruise like they do in stores or on public transit...here in Chicago, most bus drivers and train operators have decided it's not worth their personal safety to enforce the FEDERAL mask mandate because people get nasty about being told to do it...

I hope not...the crew is already putting up with so much...

@CrimsonCruiserI also live in Chicago and have seen the nastiness when workers try to enforce the rules. My mother works for Jewel foods and a customer beat one of the employees with a cucumber because they were enforcing the federal law. The honor system is crap, Chicago is only 41% vaxxed but people come in to my restaurant with no mask all the time, claiming to be. We aren't supposed to ask to see their card so..... I hope people on a cruise are bit more refined than that.

14 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@CrimsonCruiserI also live in Chicago and have seen the nastiness when workers try to enforce the rules. My mother works for Jewel foods and a customer beat one of the employees with a cucumber because they were enforcing the federal law. The honor system is crap, Chicago is only 41% vaxxed but people come in to my restaurant with no mask all the time, claiming to be. We aren't supposed to ask to see their card so..... I hope people on a cruise are bit more refined than that.

OMG that's awful! I hope she's okay...

But yeah...seeing and hearing about this on a daily basis really made me so angry when the CDC first said vaxxed folks could drop the masks because I immediately knew it was opening the door for anyone and everyone who wanted to stop wearing them to do so, regardless of vaxxed status. *sigh* here's hoping the cruisers are a more honest and respectful bunch...

@CruiseRoyalDad I am all for letting people live their best lives. My only issue is people who won't respect laws or criteria put in place. If a restaurant requires mask until sitting, or a grocery store or plane....comply or don't patronize. I didn't post about singling people out, this is about enforcing the rules.

10 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

I am in a 12 step program for my addiction to certainty, and say the Serenity Prayer when I remember to if I am triggered.

Can I sign up too? my need to know all the particulars of all the things at all the times is really insane!

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

@CruiseRoyalDad I am all for letting people live their best lives. My only issue is people who won't respect laws or criteria put in place. If a restaurant requires mask until sitting, or a grocery store or plane....comply or don't patronize. I didn't post about singling people out, this is about enforcing the rules.

I think we agree there. But where our opinions diverge is the line where business are allowed to deny people service and in doing so treat others differently because of a qualified set of characteristics, in this case decisions they make regarding their health. 

@CruiseRoyalDad Not to go off topic but I agree about the health aspect as well. My only issue is the outcome of enforcing whatever criteria. Just be respectful to the people servicing you. It is not their fault what a company mandates. If RCG requires a different set of rules for vax/unvax, don't get mad at crew members for enforcing it.

13 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@CruiseRoyalDad Not to go off topic but I agree about the health aspect as well. My only issue is the outcome of enforcing whatever criteria. Just be respectful to the people servicing you. It is not their fault what a company mandates. If RCG requires a different set of rules for vax/unvax, don't get mad at crew members for enforcing it.

The frustration would be entirely with Royal never the crew members that would be unjust and uncalled for. The crew members are indeed, as you said, enforcing their company's mandate, as ill advised as that mandate may be in some of our opinions. Those anecdotal examples from Chicago presented by other posters are unkind. It would be hard to recollect a time when a crew member on a Royal ship has treated me or my family poorly, they deserve all of the love and respect they give us returned right back to them. They also deserve their jobs not to be held hostage by irrational CDC mandates that have failed to prevent covid on fully vaccinated cruise #1. 

4 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Of all the things that you think you're going to read - an employee being attacked with a cucumber was definitely not on my list (I don't mean to make light - but some things are so ridiculous).   This is horrific and my heart goes out to your mum.   I think this story is a perfect example of why mask mandates should remain in place until 75 or 80% of people have been fully vaccinated to offer real protection to those who are unable to be vaccinated because they are either immunocompromised or under age.   This pandemic has really shown people's true colours - both good and bad - but seems to have emphasized that a fair chunk of people will do what they want regardless of the consequences to others.

I hope she's okay.