Royal Caribbean Blog

What’s your deal breaker?

16 minutes ago, mworkman said:

The mask is going to be the biggest problem, they actually put you at an increased risk of respiratory illness and viral infections. 

Do you have any facts to back this up?  Fauci said when cleaned properly, masks work as barriers.  How could a clean barrier increase the chance of respiratory illness?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I get that a lot of people find their "deal breaker" to be having to wear masks, but I just hope if people decide to sail, they'll do as they're told and won't try to push back against RCCL's requirem

There are a lot of first responders out there on the front lines that wear masks.  Let me know when you want to go up to the firehouse with me to tell the firefighters that real men don’t wear masks. 

In that other thread you posted a graphic showing that 35% of all cases are asymptomatic.  These people don't know they are infected and never show any signs of the infection but carry the virus and s

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Larry Muster said:

Do you have any facts to back this up?  Fauci said when cleaned properly, masks work as barriers.  How could a clean barrier increase the chance of respiratory illness?

There is much debate on the subject. I personally think a mask will help although I don't like wearing one.  The key word is cleaned "properly."  I would add worn properly, removed properly, and touched properly.  There is also the issue of masks providing a false assurance of safety.  I personally get winded when I wear one. There are some downsides to a mask.

If someone prefers that I wear one to protect them --- I will comply.  I'm not so sure it helps me that much.

9 hours ago, Chadster said:

I just take comfort in knowing I could just lounge on my balcony without the mask -- or at least so I'd hope.

THIS^^^

My only deal breaker echoes a bunch of people's here - mandatory quarantine afterwards. I don't give 2 effs about what I need to do - I've been working from home since March 13th. My cruise is the only thing I've been looking forward to. Not looking forward to flying though.

Required masks is my deal breaker. Currently, I choose to not frequent any establishment that requires masks while going to similar places where it is optional.

As badly as I need a haircut (needed one around April 1 but all places to get it done properly were closed until this weekend), I will put it off until the current "masks must be worn by all" requirement for salons and barber shops is lifted.

16 minutes ago, ellcee said:
16 minutes ago, ellcee said:

My only deal breaker echoes a bunch of people's here - mandatory quarantine afterwards. I don't give 2 effs about what I need to do - I've been working from home since March 13th. My cruise is the only thing I've been looking forward to. Not looking forward to flying though.

Having to fly to the port might be a deal breaker for me.  Especially since my next cruise in November is a trans Atlantic and departs from Barcelona, Spain.  Any sort of mandatory quarantine before and/or after the cruise would be a definite deal breaker.

The bottom line for me would be how much extra cost I might incur.  Health risks are also a big factor but I don't think a cruise is more risky than other places but staying home might be safer.  Finally, there is the "hassle factor" and there is only so much hassle that I can handle.

Logistics - Canadian/US border must be open (and passports offices opened for renewing)

Quarantine - No 14 day quarantine required on return. Another big one is for the Cruise ship to find a way to quarantine the person instead of the whole ship if someone if found to have covid.  And not to keep the whole ship stuck at sea for x days.

I could deal with wearing a mask say walking in promenade, at the theater, but obviously not possible in MDR, bars or other similar venues.  And pool deck when out in the sun wouldn't be very pleasant.

2 minutes ago, mworkman said:

This does not support your argument as this does not apply to us cruisers.  This study relates to “Widespread use of cloth masks by healthcare workers”.  Healthcare workers need the disposable masks that can be changed after every patient.  Clearly.

22 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Required masks is my deal breaker. Currently, I choose to not frequent any establishment that requires masks while going to similar places where it is optional.

I’m the opposite I look for places that are mask-required.  A barrier makes me more comfortable.  Anything I can do within reason to avoid bringing a virus home is worth the inconvenience in my opinion.

Keep us posted on your haircut protest.

Just now, mworkman said:

It does, but you don't like the answer! 😂

I’m not a healthcare worker when I’m at Schooner bar (drinking a very dirty martini and doing poorly at trivia).  The entire article you quoted is specific to healthcare workers wearing cloth masks for long periods of time.  

4 minutes ago, Larry Muster said:

I’m not a healthcare worker when I’m at Schooner bar (drinking a very dirty martini and doing poorly at trivia).  The entire article you quoted is specific to healthcare workers wearing cloth masks for long periods of time.  

https://www.ems1.com/ems-products/personal-protective-equipment-ppe/articles/why-a-cloth-mask-isnt-adequate-healthcare-ppe-4fuuWuS6YYZs9xJg/

Health care workers don't wear it as much as what peopler are doing today, Thats just common sense. 

9 hours ago, S0nny said:

Exactly this! haha I am desperately in need of a vacation... and I'm eyeballing an 11 day cruise out of Galveston in December... I could just sit on my balcony and get room-service and still be content! (as long as my room had quick access to a bar 😜)

I am with you @S0nny, there is a cruise out of Baltimore that I am heavily considering getting, 8 days, as long as I have a balcony I would be happy ordering room service and sitting out there and watching the waves roll by.  Just give me access to the gym, and maybe a few shows during that 8 days and I am happy!  The mask is not a deal breaker and would be more than happy to wear it at certain times when it is appropriate, at this point of time even though I am essential personnel and am able to get out, I still need to get away for awhile and recharge my batteries for a bit! 

I know this virus is "here, queer and don't want any more bears*"...therefore for me it is just the time to feel comfortable. I just want piece of mind that a complete a-hole won't board the ship sick or cough in my face because I took the last moderately crispy piece of bacon. Just like the flu, common cold and other viruses there will always be cases, so some immunity would be amazing. Mask are a deal breaker because they suck...I finally tried to run in one today and nearly passed out. Its only 71 degrees now, with Chicago humidity, imagine wearing a mask in Mexico or the Bahamas.

*Simpson's quote I felt like chanting

4 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Sure you can. It's called "small pox".

Admittedly this was done in 1980 or there abouts, however 2 lots of the virus are held in storage ( 1 in US 1 in Russia ) scientists have even into the 90s worked on new vaccines because even though there are no cases it is not impossible for it to return. 

In Russia a frozen body was unearthed after a very long period of time, on defrosting the corpse released a virus that had been dormant in the frozen body, this is one situation that medical experts are scared may happen again possibly even with small pox.

Here is my deal breaker.  If the onboard experience is changed then there is no point in going.  We go on vacation to have fun and get away.  If all of the ridiculous restrictions on land are on the ship as well.....I can stay home and save money.  If people would use some common sense then we wouldn't be going through all this crap right now.  Washing your hands should have always been in practice.  Locking down and suppressing everyone's immune systems was a mistake and we haven't even begun to see the economic effects of the response to this virus.  Just wait and see, when this election is over in the US...COVID-19 will be a thing of the past.  Stop listening to Mainstream media and start thinking for yourselves.    

@Yo2slick Hahha, while COVID-19 has been turned into a political ploy. I doubt it will "go away" right after the November election. I hate that term common sense, because if was so common more people would have it. The lock-down didn't suppress anyone's immunity but as far as the economy goes.....that falls on everyone. Since this was a global catastrophe, we should have been looking for ways to restructure. Instead as a nation we are rushing to get back to "normal," instead of fixing the problems.