REALLY ANNOYED …. Would have cancelled if they told us this YESTERDAY when we had 48 hours to go!

ChrisK2793

Just remember: This isn't about you or your vacation. This industry cannot stomach a huge outbreak right now. It could kill them if they can't continue to prove that cruising is safe. We should understand that they know more about this than we do (these cruise execs have spent their lives focused on this for the past 22 months), and if they think it'll help they're probably right. At least more so than we can claim to know.

They are FULLY aware that people don't like wearing masks and that it drives down demand to make people wear masks any more than they have to. They know this will cause people to cancel. So obviously they feel this is necessary or they wouldn't do it. 

4 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

Just remember: This isn't about you or your vacation. This industry cannot stomach a huge outbreak right now. It could kill them if they can't continue to prove that cruising is safe. We should understand that they know more about this than we do (these cruise execs have spent their lives focused on this for the past 22 months), and if they think it'll help they're probably right. At least more so than we can claim to know. Honestly, it doesn't seem like that drastic of a change. 

WE (and I use that term collectively) are keeping the industry alive by continuing to cruise and book cruises.  I am one bad discussion away (and I suspect many others are as well) from walking away from the industry completely.  Yes they have to walk a fine line.....but they are off the line right now (AGAIN).  I can drop 5 digits a trip ANYWHERE but I choose to do it here multiple times per year......but not much longer

10 minutes ago, wordell1 said:

The CDC has no power to enforce anything leaving from Florida. It's time that Royal tells them to go stick it.

This really doesn't have much of anything to do with the CDC. These executives have one focus: their revenue and their stock price. They are going to do whatever they have to do to maintain the viability of RCI. If they felt that this new rule would cause more cancellations than it would help them continue to cruise safely, they wouldn't do it. They're doing it because they feel it's their best course of action right now to ensure safe cruising and the long-term viability of the company. 

7 minutes ago, D Alt said:

It could be worse and they make you wear masks outside too like NCL, but whatever. 

When my spouse had to wear a mask for work, he had horrible headaches every day for months within the first 2 hours of getting there that wouldn’t go away until the following morning ………. Then he’d go to work and there was the headache again.  But he never had headaches on his days off.

Whatever is right …….. it’s not worth spending thousands for him to have a miserable headache all the time on a vacation because we have to have masks on all night every night to hang out at the bars and clubs unless “actively” putting food or drinks into our mouths at all times.  No thank you!

5 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

WE (and I use that term collectively) are keeping the industry alive by continuing to cruise and book cruises.  I am one bad discussion away (and I suspect many others are as well) from walking away from the industry completely.  Yes they have to walk a fine line.....but they are off the line right now (AGAIN).  I can drop 5 digits a trip ANYWHERE but I choose to do it here multiple times per year......but not much longer

I get it, totally. It's a tricky situation. You do have other choices, but everyone has known for years that cruise ships are a time bomb for any kind of outbreak. This comes with the territory of cruising as long as you have thousands of people trapped on a boat for days at a time. What I'm saying is that you can't really be mad about it. They're doing what's best for the company. They aren't caving to any sort of trend or regulation. They feel any short-term issues and cancellations from people like many on this thread are easily worth swallowing to maintain the perception of a safe cruise industry. 

5 minutes ago, jeffmw said:

This really doesn't have much of anything to do with the CDC. These executives have one focus: their revenue and their stock price. They are going to do whatever they have to do to maintain the viability of RCI. If they felt that this new rule would cause more cancellations than it would help them continue to cruise safely, they wouldn't do it. They're doing it because they feel it's their best course of action right now to ensure safe cruising and the long-term viability of the company. 

Ohh I agree its all about the stock price but other than that my opinion differs from yours.  They did it NOW because it is essentially too late for anyone with holiday plans to make alternative arrangements.  If they had done it 5-7 days ago.....there is a larger viability for transferring to tropical land based destinations with less stringent masking rules but stricter testing rules for entry.  Now.....not so much.

4 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

Ohh I agree its all about the stock price but other than that my opinion differs from yours.  They did it NOW because it is essentially too late for anyone with holiday plans to make alternative arrangements.  If they had done it 5-7 days ago.....there is a larger viability for transferring to tropical land based destinations with less stringent masking rules but stricter testing rules for entry.  Now.....not so much.

I don't disagree with you on that. The timing stinks. But honestly this Omicron stuff has come fast and furious. A week ago I was living a completely normal life. I was going out and not thinking about it. My kids in school every day. I didn't know anyone with COVID. Now it's like everyone in my town has it. So I think it's somewhere in between. I don't think they purposely did this now to screw over their customers. I think they weren't expecting this and it came quickly. But I agree for sure they should be understanding and allow people to change their plans!

I totally understand why everyone here is upset, but I wish you would just step back and understand why they're doing this. They're fully aware there are people out there like you who would be upset about this. They have plenty of people calling them right now complaining. When they made this decision I'm sure they had a pretty accurate approximation in mind of the revenue they'd lose over the next few weeks by instilling this policy. They know they will lose bookings over this. They've baked that into this decision.

However, their (very) educated decision -- as the people who lead this industry and know more about it than we ever could -- is that this policy will do more to keep cruising (and the public's perception of cruising) safe than the negative effect of people cancelling right now. I understand also that some people here think masks do not work. Unfortunately for those people, RCI listens to their full-time medical staff, who are medically trained doctors whose full-time job is to evaluate the efficacy of masks and other safety measures on cruising. It's a pretty specific job that they dedicate their life to. And those educated individuals (along with other business executives more concerned with finances and long-term viabilty of the company and industry) have determined this policy will help them continue to cruise safety. 

The executives at RCI don't give a crap about politics. They care about what's going to allow them to succeed now and years and decades into the future. That's why these decisions are made. 

That said, I think anyone with a cruise between now and Jan. 5 should absolutely be provided the opportunity to make changes to their itinerary if they don't wish to cruise under this policy. 

health-safety-ship-icon-hub.png

Onboard the Ship

Mask Guidance

Here's our current guidance for facial coverings for all guests (except those under age 2, who do not need to wear a mask at any time).

Due to the latest public health evaluation, masks are required for all guests, regardless of vaccination status, at all times indoors except while eating or drinking. This includes at venues reserved for vaccinated guests only. Note that this policy is in place for all sailings departing before January 5, 2022, at which point it will be reevaluated.

Masks are NOT required to be worn:

• In open-air areas of the ship, unless you are in a crowded setting.
  • In the pool or any activity where they may become wet.
  • In your stateroom when you are with your traveling party.
  • While visiting our private destination, Perfect Day at CocoCay, unless you are in a crowded setting.
  • By any guest under the age of 2.

Masks ARE required to be worn:

• While indoors in public areas of the ship, unless seated and actively eating or drinking.
  • While visiting public ports of call, where local regulations may require them.

Dining

All dining areas will feature spaced, sanitized seating. Nearly all restaurants and cafes will be available to all guests, though a select few specialty restaurants may be reserved for vaccinated guests only.

In the Main Dining Room, which spans multiple decks, we will designate areas for parents and unvaccinated kids, and areas for vaccinated parties only. My Time Dining will not be available to parties that include unvaccinated guests.

If you prefer a buffet, Windjammer will be open to everyone for breakfast and lunch, and the food will be served by our crew. We recommend that you make dining reservations via Cruise Planner before your cruise or using the Royal Caribbean app onboard.

Entertainment

Theaters and activity venues will offer spaced seating and more showtimes. Some activities, showtimes, or seating areas will be reserved for vaccinated guests only. Be sure to make show reservations once onboard using the Royal Caribbean app.

Adventure Ocean Youth Program Reservations

Our award-winning Adventure Ocean youth program is looking forward to welcoming your young explorers. In order to plan for a healthy experience for every child, we ask that you make a reservation before bringing your child to Adventure Ocean. Stop by Adventure Ocean on boarding day to reserve time throughout your cruise. Program capacity may be limited on certain sailings during peak hours, in order to preserve social distancing.

23 minutes ago, Pooch said:

I don’t know guys but half the time I forget to take my mask OFF!  So used to wearing it now, I barely notice it.

Exactly, I just got back from a cruise and I wore my mask the entire time I was indoors unless I was eating or in my stateroom. It was not a problem for me. I felt safe and it didn't take away from my experience. 

I am from Canada and we have to wear masks everywhere indoors anyway. I believe it is all theatre but am so used to wearing it now that it won't deter me from cruising. I am next scheduled to sail Jan.8 (after the stated Jan.5 end) but I doubt it will change. I will not be cancelling and will enjoy the limited capacity from all the cancellations.

After I posted about it on Twitter with Royal tagged, they made us an offer we couldn’t refuse to still go on the cruise tomorrow …… since what they did when I called technically didn’t cancel the cruise and just put in a refund request and refund approval in the notes if we did a no show.  So, we’re still going to go on he cruise tomorrow now.  We can wear a mask all the time inside for what they offered!