Magnet thieves and drunk adults 😃

Bowen

Two funny stories from the cruise we’re on that’s just about to end. On night four we noticed security going up and down our hall, they entered one room while wearing cameras attached to their chests and then we heard the safe open (we were one door away across the hall, we didn’t mind our business). Turns out someone had a magnet on their door and it had been stolen. The person complained to security, they got involved and found the thief, a grandmother who had taken it to give to her grandkids.😂

Last night there was a grown man passed smooth out in the waiting area near the elevators on deck 10, just absolutely out cold. Security had to get involved there as well. 

It was a great cruise, lots of stories to talk about for sure!

10 minutes ago, Bowen said:

Two funny stories from the cruise we’re on that’s just about to end. On night four we noticed security going up and down our hall, they entered one room while wearing cameras attached to their chests and then we heard the safe open (we were one door away across the hall, we didn’t mind our business). Turns out someone had a magnet on their door and it had been stolen. The person complained to security, they got involved and found the thief, a grandmother who had taken it to give to her grandkids.😂

Last night there was a grown man passed smooth out in the waiting area near the elevators on deck 10, just absolutely out cold. Security had to get involved there as well. 

It was a great cruise, lots of stories to talk about for sure!

What ship were you on?  Carnival of the Seas?

Stealing a magnet for the grandkids?  What a terrible excuse for a human.  

I stopped bringing magnets because of magnet thieves.  Still bothers me that people think they can just take other people's hard earned things, even something as small a magnet on a door on a cruise ship.  To think she was going to present it to her grandkids so they would look up to her and think what a wonderful person she was for thinking of them while in reality she was nothing but a common thief.  Hopefully she is banned from Royal.  No room for criminals on board.  

9 hours ago, Bowen said:

Last night there was a grown man passed smooth out in the waiting area near the elevators on deck 10, just absolutely out cold.

Sorry about that. Too many drinks down at schooner. Lots of flights up to deck 17. Was taking a quick siesta. Security let me know that the elevators are open 24/7. 

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Stealing a magnet for the grandkids?  What a terrible excuse for a human.  

I stopped bringing magnets because of magnet thieves.  Still bothers me that people think they can just take other people's hard earned things, even something as small a magnet on a door on a cruise ship.  To think she was going to present it to her grandkids so they would look up to her and think what a wonderful person she was for thinking of them while in reality she was nothing but a common thief.  Hopefully she is banned from Royal.  No room for criminals on board.  

Apart from those who make a fortune from rent from poor people.

And politicians.

And any tax-avoiders and bankers.

In fact, what is the law on registered sex offenders and cruising?  Presumably none. 

No, they can buy suites and are fine, as long as they don't 'steal' a $1 magnet from a corridor. 

Cmon champ, a bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss here. 

11 hours ago, Bowen said:

Turns out someone had a magnet on their door and it had been stolen. The person complained to security, they got involved and found the thief, a grandmother who had taken it to give to her grandkids.😂

Did nana do the perp walk? 

Sort of related; some clown apparently took our room service breakfast order tag off our door before they were collected on our deck on our recent cruise. Called Room Service 90 minutes after requested delivery time passed. The crew member I spoke with checked, sure enough they didn't have an order for us. He apologized, stating tag grabs are a favorite pastime of drunks and kids.

Reaffirming my faith in the species.......😡

I wonder if granny can be traced back to all the stolen magnet posts in the FB groups.  People always blaming the kids!  
they should pull the security footage from all her past sailings and see if she’s done this before and prosecute her to the fullest extent of the law!….no, I am not serious.

I find it odd that security actually got involved and did a search, due to a magnet!  Are you in the FB group for your sailing? Is there other scuttlebutt regarding this event? 

This post reminds me of one of my favorite cruise pastimes - walking the halls early in the mornings to admire magnets/door decor. If I find one I really like, I take a photo on my phone for posterity's sake. In fact, I found a magnet once that I loved so much I immediately went and found it online to purchase. Just can't fathom stealing a magnet - I'd have that constantly hanging over my own conscience whenever I looked at it.

3 hours ago, Thom Cruise said:

In fact, what is the law on registered sex offenders and cruising?  Presumably none. 

Registered sex offenders are not allowed to cruise. The cruise lines run the manifest a few days before sailing and they will call you and let you know you can't cruise.

10 hours ago, PeloAl said:

Really? Security got involved over a magnet? People will really believe everything they read…

That’s the story, yep. I didn’t ask the woman or the security guards, but I linked what I witnessed with a post matching my details on the Facebook page for the cruise. I guess someone could make that up, but seems like a really odd thing to make up.

On 11/19/2023 at 10:55 AM, Thom Cruise said:

Apart from those who make a fortune from rent from poor people.

And politicians.

And any tax-avoiders and bankers.

No, they can buy suites and are fine, as long as they don't 'steal' a $1 magnet from a corridor. 

Cmon champ, a bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss here. 

I'm confused.  Did I suggest there is no other crime in the world?

So theft should not be a crime in your opinion?

Where do you draw the line?  $5 theft?  $20 theft?  $100 theft?  You good with someone stealing a holiday decoration of your lawn?  Or just if Grandma steals it, so her grandkids can have a happy holiday?

Or was it because it was a sweet old grandma?  Old ladies can steal but a 23 year old man can't? 

16 hours ago, PeloAl said:

Really? Security got involved over a magnet? People will really believe everything they read…

Well I'll go ahead and say yes, I believe it because it occurred on my cruise recently, as well. Multiple reports of stolen magnets and eventually security watched cameras, saw the kids doing it and went to the room later to confront them. Retrieved the magnets (the kids claim they thought magnets were put out as a scavenger hunt type thing) and gave the parents a warning, 

Thankfully I have not been a victim of magnet stealing but would be very upset if I were.  The magnets I bring along are mostly hand made by my grandchildren who absolutely love spending a day with me to design and create their masterpieces!  
Very sad that anyone would stoop that low for whatever reason they see fit!

Magnet thieves were why, til recently, I opted for cheap decor. Rather than magnets as the decoration, I'd use them to hold up a cheap dollar tree tablecloth cut to to fit that had stickers or other designs glued on. No damage to the door, but no way someone can grab something off.

But last year I was turned onto Stateroom Statements and got a couple magnets I absolutely love and when I tell you I side eyed EVERYONE who looked at our door I mean it...I would have gone OFF if the custom one went missing

I did magnets once and they were stolen. I would never think to take something that didn't belong to me and personally I side eye any grown adult, teenager and child over 10 that does.

Tiny humans under 5 can honestly be confused by them when so much is available for them to enjoy. But a grandma 🤬🤯😱 such a bad example to her grandchildren.

7 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

Thankfully I have not been a victim of magnet stealing but would be very upset if I were.  The magnets I bring along are mostly hand made by my grandchildren who absolutely love spending a day with me to design and create their masterpieces!  
Very sad that anyone would stoop that low for whatever reason they see fit!

@PPPJJ-GCVAB Every time you post about your grandchildren, I melt a little. You do SO MUCH for and with them. What lucky kids - they must feel extremely loved. 

Thank you so much @jbrinkm for that lovely message.  I’m lucky my children and grandchildren live close by and not out of state.  When my first grandchild (Gia Bella who will be 16 next month!) was born, I asked my daughter to allow me to take her overnight as soon as she felt comfortable.  Lucky for me it only took her about 6 weeks to hand her over 😂.  From that point…time with my grandchildren has always been plentiful.  My own kids bedrooms became nurseries and then kids’ rooms and still are to this day!  
I melt too every time they are around ❤️!  And I do know how very lucky I am to have them so prominent in my life.

9 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Magnet thieves were why, til recently, I opted for cheap decor. Rather than magnets as the decoration, I'd use them to hold up a cheap dollar tree tablecloth cut to to fit that had stickers or other designs glued on. No damage to the door, but no way someone can grab something off.

But last year I was turned onto Stateroom Statements and got a couple magnets I absolutely love and when I tell you I side eyed EVERYONE who looked at our door I mean it...I would have gone OFF if the custom one went missing

I hear ya….I've gotten a few door magnets from Amazon in the past and have never had an issue. But recently, like you, ordered some custom magnets through Stateroom Statements. One for a Jazz Cruise and one for an Anniversary cruise. If either of those disappear, I’m calling out SWAT!! Maybe I’ll put up a RING camera😂😂

56 minutes ago, need2cruz said:

I always put inexpensive door magnets up.  I have never had one stolen.  If it was, I wouldn't care.  I am truly surprised at how many people here care about something that is easily replaceable.

I think the point is that some of them are NOT so easily replaceable, such as those made by grandkids.

6 minutes ago, need2cruz said:

I guess other people don't seer the world the same way I do.  My only daughter was murdered in a school shooting.  No one has ever been arrested or charged, despite hundreds of witnesses.  I don't value "magnets".  I just don't.

I'm very sorry to hear this, I can't imagine the grief.  BUT, in regards to this post...What if you hung a magnet up that reminded you of your daughter? Wouldn't you be upset? I don't know that I would take a chance doing so, but people still hang little mementos and memories on the doors, and they shouldn't be undervalued just because they don't have the same meaning to you or someone else. My kid likes to hang a little magnet for our favorite sports teams up on the doors, if they get stolen, so be it- but HE would be upset because they were his, that he brought to proudly display. 

@need2cruz I am truly very sorry for your heartache.  The very hardest part of life is losing those we love, especially through a senseless act of violence.  I pray you will find your peace in order to move on through the rest of your life being able to enjoy and share happiness with others…   Grief can paralyze you when you are unable to find inner solace.

Of course, the value of human life is most definitely much greater than any inanimate object.  However, I believe our posts about losing our magnets to “thieves” are just our way to express and wonder what makes people do things such as this?  None of us would ever devalue human life but certainly that is not the only thing any of us value in life!?

Again…I offer my deepest and sincere sympathy 💐 for your loss.

@Bowen strange I had  the same experience on the Symphony TA, about 5:30am, darn time changes, saw a fellow in just a bathing suit out cold in the elevator lobby and it was deck 10 as well! A crew member was on the phone so I kept going, then when I got down to Café Promenade there was another fellow wrapped in towels and barefoot who had spilled his coffee all over and seemed a bit unsteady, must have been quite a party.

Magnets, my wife put up a bunch of Halloween magnets. I never gave it a thought, but we had several children knock on the door on Halloween, I had a single piece of candy that I'd gotten someplace else for the first child, but the other was out of luck, took down the Halloween magnets after that. We don't get trick or treaters where we live so I never considered they would be doing on the ship.

11 minutes ago, KevinJ said:

we had several children knock on the door on Halloween, I had a single piece of candy that I'd gotten someplace else for the first child, but the other was out of luck, took down the Halloween magnets after that. We don't get trick or treaters where we live so I never considered they would be doing on the ship.

That's very interesting !  It never occurred to me that someone might think that you were offering a trick-or-treat opportunity.