New Covid-19 Cruise Ship Rules

I'm fine with most of it.

Tracelets - what do they consider close contact? I'm assuming a lot more strict than what CDC considers. Could it be as strict as, was in same restaurant? Yikes! My vacation ruined for basically a non exposure. I understand why, but being quarantined to cabin is still a big fear of mine.

Can only drink at the bar? That is a game changer for me. I'm big on enjoying my drink package on the pool deck or upper pool deck. I don't want to sit at the pool bar, where the seating is already limited... Imagine if that's the only place to enjoy the drink!

Edited by sk8erguy1978
Typo

When at home and its raining we sometimes dont go outside!

When on vacation and its raining we just get on with it! We are not going to let a little bit of rain stop us from making the most of our vacation.

So same applies here! Either be at home with restrictions in place or be somewhere new with restrictions...for me its a no brainer simply because getting away anywhere eases the mindset of lockdown 

Drinking at the bar only?? I sure do not care for that. Why would you want everyone hanging around the bars? Also are they going to increase the room service, like more option, drinks, staff, etc. Allow you to order from the specialty restaurants. ? I mean with everything limited i may wish to set on my balcony and order drinks, snacks, lunch, more drinks in stead of going to the pool... or out to dinner. Expand room service to cover everything!!!!

To be honest ... my next cruise isn't until October 1st, 2021.  It is a 15-day Panama Canal cruise which I really don't think will happen.  I've gotten over the fact that Quantum won't be doing Alaska cruises this summer. I'm not going to worry about anything until a cruise actually happens from a port in the United States.  

I'm somewhat concerned about the financial aspect of these restrictions.  It already seems like I'm paying more for a cruise and much of the WOW comes in the form of restrictions.  Muster 2.0 sounds good though. People can be grouchy on a cruise and I can see fights breaking out about who can be in the hot tubs.  One thing I like about a cruise is when I can be in my own bubble.  I'm not sure I can handle my family bubble for the entire cruise.

All that said --- I just want to get vaccinated.

The rules being suggested for cruising have not been applied.  There has been no cruises or even test cruises.  I think all these restrictions will change more than once  before cruises actually begin.  So, am not worrying about it.  May or may not happen.   I have had numerous cancelled cruises and keep booking.  I currently have 9 cruises booked.

And yes, I would cruise with the current restrictions.    It will take a long time for cruises to be "like they used to be".  They have changed so much from when I started cruising in the 80's and I am fine with it.

I very much miss my cruises!

2 hours ago, Linda R said:

The rules being suggested for cruising have not been applied.  There has been no cruises or even test cruises.  I think all these restrictions will change more than once  before cruises actually begin.  

The Original poster clearly states that these measures and restrications are in place on Qots.

I understand this is not a cruise out of US but i would imagine that any measures found to work on these "test cruises out of Asia or anywhere else " will be implemented across the fleet.

3 hours ago, Ray said:

The Original poster clearly states that these measures and restrications are in place on Qots.

I understand this is not a cruise out of US but i would imagine that any measures found to work on these "test cruises out of Asia or anywhere else " will be implemented across the fleet.

The only thing we don't know for the U.S. is when the CDC actually intends to let ships sail.  The same can be said for other public health agencies in other regions, at least for foreign flagged non-EU ships in the EU for example (all Royal ships).  Australia doesn't look like it will see ships sailing soon even though they have better control of the situation.

Back in March the CDC suggested ships shouldn't sail until it's over.  "Over" is open ended, it's not exactly sure what they mean by "over".  Risk is at an acceptable level could be one interpretation.  Eradicated is another interpretation.  That's unlikely so if we use the first definition and the risk is so low it's no longer a public health risk then there won't be any need to implement pandemic protocols on board.  

In the US ships won't sail for at least 3 months and probably longer.  There is no way to know what restrictions will be needed at that point or if a whole new version of the virus makes all this a moot point. 

The rule which I find most concerning is the one about 1m social distancing from those in your own bubble whilst around the ship. So I can share a room with someone yet can’t stand next to them whilst walking into the Promenade? What plank made up this rule?

12 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

The rule which I find most concerning is the one about 1m social distancing from those in your own bubble whilst around the ship. So I can share a room with someone yet can’t stand next to them whilst walking into the Promenade? What plank made up this rule?

Singapore.  At least last I checked their guidelines were 1m distancing for everyone when in public.  Seems strange at first glance but it's probably just easier to have a blanket 1m distancing than trying to enforce it with no real knowledge of who's in a bubble together.

On 1/25/2021 at 2:46 PM, joshgates said:

Singapore.  At least last I checked their guidelines were 1m distancing for everyone when in public.  Seems strange at first glance but it's probably just easier to have a blanket 1m distancing than trying to enforce it with no real knowledge of who's in a bubble together.

Obviously some rules are necessary but it's silly rules like this where I draw the line, I will not sign up to be on a floating dictatorship. If even the most ardent of cruisers don't want to go, how on earth will they be able to get the average member of the public onboard? Fairly pessimistic about Royal's future if these rules last long.

1 hour ago, Joe01 said:

Obviously some rules are necessary but it's silly rules like this where I draw the line, I will not sign up to be on a floating dictatorship. If even the most ardent of cruisers don't want to go, how on earth will they be able to get the average member of the public onboard? Fairly pessimistic about Royal's future if these rules last long.

Do you believe it's only Royal Caribbean who will have these rules? 

On 1/24/2021 at 4:09 PM, cookie10* said:

Another thing if they do require everyone to have the vaccine shot then why change anything????? 

Exactly.  Just like if masks work then why 6 feet social distancing?  If social distancing works then why masks?  Its all laughable.  Not to mention if someone can simply breath on someone and infect them then why is a swap up the nose necessary for testing?  We can DNA test with a simple mouth swap but not for COVID..........

1 hour ago, Yo2slick said:

Exactly.  Just like if masks work then why 6 feet social distancing?  If social distancing works then why masks?  Its all laughable.  Not to mention if someone can simply breath on someone and infect them then why is a swap up the nose necessary for testing?  We can DNA test with a simple mouth swap but not for COVID..........

None of the measures are 100% protective, but when you start layering them together, you increase the overall protection.

I'm not sure why everyone is getting so bent out of shape.  Royal Caribbeans restrictions will vary from country to country depending on the homeport of the cruise ship.  Singapore has some of the strictest requirements in place of any nation.  Therefore it is to be expected that the Singaporean Government would extend those restrictions or even tighten those restrictions for cruise lines.  For those of us living in the US, I don't see the point in getting upset because if the CDC has its way cruising isn't going to resume in this country until at least mid- summer if we are lucky.  

The truth is anyone planning on taking a cruise in 2021 should be prepared for some type of restrictions while onboard.  If you don't want any restrictions then I would suggest considering delaying your cruises until at least mid-2022 at the earliest or even 2023.  

Cruising is an expensive adventure and I am interested in the freedom of a vacation and restrictions that limit my fun so  I won't cruise under these restrictions. It's going to be tough going for cruise lines for the foreseeable future as they try to get up and running but are limited due to country rules in order to operate. I'm sure a lot people on this forum will cruise just to cruise because they love it that much, but as far as the general population, I don't see people flocking to get back unto ships for their vacations in the near-term. I personally have chosen a different path for the next couple of years of renting a house at the beach.

Cruises are starting to get expensive as the prices have risen for all kinds of reasons; but, suffice to say, until the value is back, I'm not going to go cruising again. I hope one day to be back but for now, I'm on land.