Matt

POLL: Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?

Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?  

304 members have voted

1. 1. Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

With all the media raving about staying at home, a lot of folks are quaking in their house slippers and afraid to go out into the world. Wonder what the world would be like if our forefathers had that attitude? There would be no USA, no internet and no life. I am cautious but will not let fear cause me to not enjoy the life I have been given. At my age I want all the enjoyment in life I can get. And that includes cruising!

16 minutes ago, CrznTxn said:

With all the media raving about staying at home, a lot of folks are quaking in their house slippers and afraid to go out into the world. Wonder what the world would be like if our forefathers had that attitude? There would be no USA, no internet and no life. I am cautious but will not let fear cause me to not enjoy the life I have been given. At my age I want all the enjoyment in life I can get. And that includes cruising!

Unfortunately, many of our news outlets are driving this madness!  

10 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

Unfortunately, many of our news outlets are driving this madness!  

I agree, and it is baffling and disappointing that this all seems to have become more than it needs to be. Logic and Reason appears to have been taken over by Sensationalism and leverage. Once we strayed from presenting and analyzing  the REAL facts and instead began focusing, once again, on celebrity opinions on social media, it seems that this exercise has run its course and the media and the politicians should all get back to work and allow everyone else to do the same. In particular, the cruise industry. 

2 minutes ago, Ogilthorpe said:

I agree, and it is baffling and disappointing that this all seems to have become more than it needs to be. Logic and Reason appears to have been taken over by Sensationalism and leverage. Once we strayed from presenting and analyzing  the REAL facts and instead began focusing, once again, on celebrity opinions on social media, it seems that this exercise has run its course and the media and the politicians should all get back to work and allow everyone else to do the same. In particular, the cruise industry. 

Amen to That!

I swear to all that's holy (and even all that's unholy, if the other side helps me out here!), I will cruise by the end of 2020; hopefully, it's with the group on Brilliance in October so I can celebrate my birthday in style a week late. If not, one of the holidays. 

Failing that, you'll find me with little plastic boats in a wading pool, or I'll get one of my friends to tape a cardboard cutout of Oasis to the side of their car and drive back and forth on my street for a little while each day over the course of a week while I sit in the passenger seat and drink or eat a steak.

1 hour ago, Ray said:

100% 

For me it's not the cruises that's the issue it's the flights 😞 not the new regulations that airlines are introducing but the simple fact god knows when International flights will start again so i can get to cruise 

I'm with you. I have an Anthem sailing to Canaries booked for October but am not super excited about the other itineraries out of Southampton as I have seen most of Northern Europe already. Itineraries from the U.S. are another story however, and I can't wait to be able to fly across the pond again to take advantage of them (keeping my fingers crossed for our February Coco Cay sailing, also on Anthem, but holding off from booking our flights with Virgin as, despite my hopes for everyone working there - they are headquartered here in my home town - I am yet to be 100% convinced that they will still be operating by then). This said, as mentioned by several others, the on board experience will also be a key factor in the reality ultimately living up to the dream.

1 hour ago, Ray said:

100% 

For me it's not the cruises that's the issue it's the flights 😞 not the new regulations that airlines are introducing but the simple fact god knows when International flights will start again so i can get to cruise 

I'm with you. I have an Anthem sailing to Canaries booked for October but am not super excited about the other itineraries out of Southampton as I have seen most of Northern Europe already. Itineraries from the U.S. are another story however, and I can't wait to be able to fly across the pond again to take advantage of them (keeping my fingers crossed for our February Coco Cay sailing, also on Anthem, but holding off from booking our flights with Virgin as, despite my hopes for everyone working there - they are headquartered here in my home town - I am yet to be 100% convinced that they will still be operating by then). This said, as mentioned by several others, the on board experience will also be a key factor in the reality ultimately living up to the dream.

I would absolutely be on board pre-vaccine and even if they do stipulate masks in common areas (aside from while actively eating, I guess). I have been wearing a mask on intensive, daily 4-mile dog walks since early April, I am ready for the slide stairs! 

1 hour ago, SpeedNoodles said:

We're still hoping we caught it on Symphony last Feb and just were asymptomatic (hey, it could happen!!!!)

You make me smile. 

I work retail.  In late Feb., I had the worse flu ever.  1st time I actually called out of work.  My boss's wife and kids were sick, but not him. I swear he was asymptomatic and gave it to me.

~~ His wife's niece moved from Korea via San Fran in early Feb. 1 week later his wife and kids went down for the count. 10 days later I went down. 

I have not gotten tested, but my son that works in the medical testing world has said,  to me he believes I had it.  Everything lines up with symptoms and timing.

7 minutes ago, gtgtgt said:

It still all depends on the on-board experience.  I won't go if we have to wear a mask 🙃.

Heck I would wear my SCBA, nah, it's to heavy and it would only last 40 minutes.  I would bring my own, but it would be a nice gesture if Royal provided in the stateroom on the first day one for each day per person.  They get skanky past one day.

2 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

I have not gotten tested, but my son that works in the medical testing world has said,  to me he believes I had it.  Everything lines up with symptoms and timing.

The fact that my husband hasn't made me cancel any of the cruises gives hope still.

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

We finally have a drive-through testing facility in the general neighborhood, but here in VA they will not test you unless you "qualify", which, I assume, means that you are symptomatic.  BS

The antibody test will be different, since it's for post exposure.  I'm waiting for them to be sure they have accurate ones available.  

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Just need the border to open up and I am there...that's the real issue here in Canada!!..we are banned from even driving to a neighboring province so not sure when i'll be able to get away again.

Have you considered digging a tunnel?   

But what if my mask doesn't match my formal night suit?    I won't have to wear it, right?  How about an ascot?

But seriously - I'm 58.  Not old by most standards, but my dad died at 64, and Lord knows my health ain't great,

especially having to miss racquetball for all these weeks.  My eyes seem like they're getting worse by the day.

I didn't start cruising until 2015, so I have a LOT of catching up to do.  So, my wife and I agree - we're going.

199 days until my virginal sailing on Harmony to the western Caribbean.  Oh, we're definitely going.

image.jpeg.858f3265dbe556895a988703e8c0a05c.jpeg

2 hours ago, PRC said:

Not concerned about a vaccine, my deciding factor will be what the "new" onboard experience is.

Based on the atmosphere at the opened restaurants here in Texas, i cant imagine the policing of very public place on a cruise ship.  

The line for a drink would be from pool bar back to windjammer with appropriate distancing.