What is the strangest thing YOU have seen on a cruise ship?

We were sitting in the hot tub around sundown, a little late in the afternoon to be honest and a gentleman proceeded to get in with a full plate of windjammer food. Mostly I remember him trying to eat what I think was chicken wings and watching pieces of the food falling into the water around him. Needless to say it was a clear sign that it was time for us to exit and go get ready for dinner. (I can promise you him eating in the hot tub did not trigger a hunger response!)

While this wasn't on the ship, it was during a cruise excursion.  Let's just say it was on St. Martin and was at Orient Beach.  I will only say that it was a parade and leave the rest to everyone's imagination.  Simply put, some things cannot be unseen.

I am reminded of the words of caution given to us by our tour director as we were being let off the bus:  "Those that can, don't and those that do, shouldn't!"  More accurate words have never been spoken.

Maybe not strange but just as entertaining. Years ago we had aft rooms. My 3 boys always had to be back in the room at a certain time. I thought nothing of it. Then one day I heard "Jessica can you put some clothes on! There are kids out there." Jessica like to air dry on the balcony completely nude. (Not completely, she had a towel on her hair). She apparently didn't care that she was flanked by 3 boys. Her room was in the middle .

19 hours ago, steverk said:

I think it was the lady that was left behind in Cozumel.

We were an our late departing. There was another ship tied up beside us that was leaving later, so there were lots of people on the dock. But one woman with several shopping bags burst on to the dock running toward the ship.  I just knew she had to be coming to ours.  Anyway, she decided that we were still there, so she slowed to a slow saunter. Once she rounded the corner of the dock, she discovered the lines had been dropped and were we 20 feet from the pier.  I'll never forget the look on her face when she realized just what had happened.

Am I a terrible person for getting a chuckle out of this?

Nope, not a terrible person

17 hours ago, steverk said:

Back in the day...things were different and seem very strange today.

On my first cruise in 1986, some of the odd things that went on:

Pools were filled with seawater every morning and drained every evening.  Yes, they were saltwater. Some people actually argued the reason the pool had waves is because it was seawater.

They shot skeet off the fantail. So, if you wanted they really did hand you a margaritas in one hand and a loaded shotgun in the other. Scary! 

You've all seen pictures of the bon voyage parties with tons of streamers being thrown off the ship. This environmental catastrophe really did occur on every sailing. 

In my opinion sailing is better now ?

I remember all of those things.  I had forgotten about them draining their pools daily.  Thanks for the memories

2009 on the Independence. A very disruptive passenger who actually threatened to kill me and one other person...hauled off to the brig (they do have them so I learned!).

One entertaining part...disembarkation day...guest services announcing (numerous times) his name to come to the Service Desk...usually the ones who have not settled up a cash account. ?

7 hours ago, basil said:

Maybe not strange but just as entertaining. Years ago we had aft rooms. My 3 boys always had to be back in the room at a certain time. I thought nothing of it. Then one day I heard "Jessica can you put some clothes on! There are kids out there." Jessica like to air dry on the balcony completely nude. (Not completely, she had a towel on her hair). She apparently didn't care that she was flanked by 3 boys. Her room was in the middle .

At least they had a good reason. 

I’m not judging, but I saw this guy wearing a very large gold chain while waiting to be seated in the main dining room on Rhapsody in 2019. I’m guessing this was his dinner attire for the evening? Maybe he was just chatting with friends who were waiting to be seated? I took this photo to show a fellow cruise enthusiast to see if this was a cruise thing that I’ve been missing out on. From an middle aged physical therapist point of view, that is SO bad for your neck. 

Cruise attire in the MDR is changing. You do you.

FD48D51B-E6FE-4802-B94A-D943586931E8.jpeg

On 8/16/2021 at 7:24 PM, Linda R said:

A family having dinner at Coastal Kitchen next to our table, that had a baby stroller.  The stroller had 2 yippy dogs in it that they fed directly on the table. Plus they ordered food for the dogs at the restaurant. The family was very rude.  They told us the dogs were not really service dogs but wanted them with them all the time.  She also told us they destroyed their cabin from chewing furniture and blankets  to peeing on carpets.  Everyone kept away from them.  What are people thinking?

Was this by any chance on the Anthem in February 2019? If so, I missed the dog (s) in the stroller in Coastal Kitchen,  but did encounter them in a full baby carriage at an elevator.

2 hours ago, Ogilthorpe said:

Was this by any chance on the Anthem in February 2019? If so, I missed the dog (s) in the stroller in Coastal Kitchen,  but did encounter then in a full baby carriage at an elevator.

No, it wasn't the Anthem.   It was Harmony I think.   It was  a ship that had the CK and suite lounge all as one room.   The CK on Anthem is separate room near Windjammer. Where they an older couple?

I think I know the dog you are talking about on Anthem, @Ogilthorpe but if it's the one I'm thinking about, he is in a wagon rather than a stroller.  We did a B2B with him.  I think the dog's name is Bobby or something silly like that.  The man who owns/pulls the dog is a complete curmudgeon...really nasty.  The dog either bit someone or fouled the deck (can't remember which but I think it was the latter) and we heard that they were banned from sailing after that.  However, I then heard, later, that they were back on Anthem again so I have no idea if any of it is even true !!

9 hours ago, Linda R said:

No, it wasn't the Anthem.   It was Harmony I think.   It was  a ship that had the CK and suite lounge all as one room.   The CK on Anthem is separate room near Windjammer. Where they an older couple?

In this case, it was a 30ish woman pushing a small (pekingese?) Dog in a carriage.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I think I know the dog you are talking about on Anthem, @Ogilthorpe 

This one was in an old school baby carriage, I didn't see the dog in the wagon. I only encountered the carriage dog once ... perhaps that dog was who jumped overboard at Port Canaveral?! ?

I literally saw someone drop dead right in front of my in the Windjammer. Luckily I always sit in the back and one of the employees by the drink section worked super quickly to alert RC. They did CPR but sadly it did not help.

On a different cruise, we had this one gentleman always wear different color pastel suits with a top hat EVERYDAY. We were doing a Med cruise and it was hot, yet I would see him in France with a baby pink suit and a matching top hat. 

This is the strangest thing I've ever seen cruise related, but not seen on a cruise ship by me, was the story of a woman that brought a starfish onboard.  This was on cruise critic. The story goes something like this:

A woman was going on a cruise and supposedly the person she was supposed to travel with couldn't travel.  She was then ASSIGNED another guest in her cabin, apparently on her request.  So another woman was in the cabin with her.  I think the woman was blind (or the original passenger was blind, don't remember perfectly).  Everything was going okay, weird, but okay, until the first port stop.  After the port the woman noticed a STARFISH in the shower.  Apparently the other passenger brought a starfish on board and was keeping it "safe" in the shower.  Well, after a day or two the starfish was starting to stink.

Much hilarity continued on the boards.  The OP stayed with it for a while defending what she was saying.  The post can no longer be found anywhere the last I looked.  If anyone finds it, it's one of the funniest things I've ever read online.

On 8/17/2021 at 2:27 AM, steverk said:

Back in the day...things were different and seem very strange today.

On my first cruise in 1986, some of the odd things that went on:

Pools were filled with seawater every morning and drained every evening.  Yes, they were saltwater. Some people actually argued the reason the pool had waves is because it was seawater.

They shot skeet off the fantail. So, if you wanted they really did hand you a margaritas in one hand and a loaded shotgun in the other. Scary! 

You've all seen pictures of the bon voyage parties with tons of streamers being thrown off the ship. This environmental catastrophe really did occur on every sailing. 

In my opinion sailing is better now ?

I miss the sea water pools! 

I once saw two merry ladies protecting a grape on the floor. Someone stood on the grape and the ladies got upset and held a grape funeral……that was a good grape gone before it’s time, the service was beautiful ?

In the good old days a few years ago, we were finishing up a B2B with a TA on the Azamara Pursuit from Rome.  Crazy 100+ MPH winds in port, breaking ropes etc. but that's  another story.  Azamara has free self service laundry rooms and I was the only guy among several lady passengers there.  A well dressed woman came in with her bag of laundry and went to work stuffing the next empty machine with the contents.   Nothing unusual until she took off her blouse and skirt and popped them into the washer too.  I did note the bra and panties matched and the other ladies were looking at me for my reaction.  Her response was "Well this is what I do at home" and I could only say "Thank you for sharing" ...   We told our friend, Elizabeth, the Hotel Manager that Azamara's policy of telling passengers "Welcome Home" at all re-boardings might be working a bit too well.