Gratuities raised

I didn't see a thread so I apologize if there is and I didn't see it or this is old news I missed but I just got an email gratuities are going up again by 2.00 bucks a day. 18.00 bucks a day, per person. I mean I love the crew on the ships so I'm not gonna flip or anything. It is what it is I guess. My favorite saying. 🤣

• RCIfan1912 changed the title to Gratuities going up again.

Just received email:

Dear Guest,

We are excited to welcome you onboard for your upcoming Royal Caribbean sailing!

As you prepare to set sail, we wanted to notify you of an update to our daily gratuity charges. As of November 11th, 2023, the automatic daily gratuity charge will increase from $16.00 to $18.00 per guest, per day for non-suite staterooms and from $18.50 to $20.50 per guest, per day for suites. The daily gratuity is shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants, and other hotel services teams.

If you’d like to pre-pay your gratuities at the current rate before your sailing, we’re happy to extend this opportunity to you. If you’d prefer to pay onboard, your gratuity charge will be applied to your onboard account at the new rate.

Other onboard gratuity policies remain the same – an 18% gratuity will be automatically added to purchases for beverages, spa & salon services, room service, and mini bar items. These will be itemized on your receipt at the end of each purchase.

To pre-pay your gratuities before your sailing at the current rate, or if you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor or contact us at:

• 1 866 562 7625 in the U.S.
  • 1800 754 500 in Australia / 0800 102 123 in New Zealand
  • In the UK only, by using our webchat service or by calling 0344 493 4005
  • All other countries, please visit http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contactus for your local Royal Caribbean International office phone number.

We thank you for your understanding and can’t wait to welcome you onboard!

IMG_6338.thumb.jpeg.ffcdf569bfc38f5719d083d13e9f62c9.jpeg

i was trying to do the math here — and bear with me because i’m not so great on math in general 😂 — so it’s an additional $2 increase per day - let’s say a week long cruise - an extra $14 difference. for me that’s a drink while on board. 

hot take, but — i personally am okay with this, especially since the crew work so unbelievably hard + passengers by and large have gotten increasingly more difficult, as many of us have personally observed. 💚

whether you elect to tip on top of that or not is a personal choice (i am not advocating one way or the other) but i am grateful to be in a position where this would not be a fiscal deterrent for me. 💚

2 minutes ago, TheMaxRebo said:

Well, glad I just paid the balance (including gratuities) for our Feb cruise so covered.

Still wish they would just include this in the cruise fair vs a separate charge

I just always treat it that way and pay upfront.  When I calculate $PP/PD I do it after port fees and grats.  I would never have them removed but for those inclined, keeping them separate allows for it.

I had a few cruises where I had not already requested prepaid grats.  I was surprised....I thought I had taken care of that on all of my booked cruises.  Pays to check, I guess.  Pretty easy to get them added.  Should be set to go now.  So annoying though....They are so tone deaf on these "cruise enhancement" combinations - reducing services in combination with increasing prices and fees.

1 minute ago, Cactus527 said:

I've already got prepaid gratuities on all of my current bookings. Does this mean I keep the same gratuity rate that I had when I reserved it? In other words, my gratuity rate will remain at what it currently is and not go up?

Pre-paid grats are protected from the price increase.

1 minute ago, Cactus527 said:

I've already got prepaid gratuities on all of my current bookings. Does this mean I keep the same gratuity rate that I had when I reserved it? In other words, my gratuity rate will remain at what it currently is and not go up?

Yes.  You will not have any increases on the ones you already have....just anything new that you book after 11-11

Anytime a mass market cruise line makes a price hike move it seems the others follow.  Carnival bumped to $16 pp pday in April / Suites $18 pp pday.  January Norwegian bumped to $20 pp pday with Haven Suites bumped to $25 pp pday.  Celebrity just went to $18 in July.  I've always given stateroom attendants extra tips but when we went from $14.50 to $16 and reduced cabin cleaning to 1x / day and now bumping again to $18 I've got to say "Tip Tip Horray" is in jeopardy. We don't mind the 1x cleaning per day but having to hang up towels in the stateroom and shower for dinner with damp towels after returning from shore is definitely a dissatisfaction. 

I knew this was coming.  Will they match $20 NCL in 6 months?   

19 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'd be curious how many gratuities-based employees RC has. They have about 100k shipboard employees, though obviously not all get a cut 

This is a big unknown piece of the puzzle, and I would like to know as well.  It seems the number of positions that are included in the pool is constantly growing.

I don't mind an increase in gratuities, but what I do mind is that they are increasing and taking away services. Staterooms are cleaned once per day now and they want me to tip more. 

I know that is a FWP for me the consumer to want fresh towels 2x per day but it is cruise standard, so I would like it done if I am paying more.

I generally leave more money in the stateroom after the cruise anyway, but this kind of irritates me. 

7 minutes ago, Sharla said:

I don't mind an increase in gratuities, but what I do mind is that they are increasing and taking away services. Staterooms are cleaned once per day now and they want me to tip more. 

I know that is a FWP for me the consumer to want fresh towels 2x per day but it is cruise standard, so I would like it done if I am paying more.

I generally leave more money in the stateroom after the cruise anyway, but this kind of irritates me. 

And I just watched a YouTube video interview with stateroom attendants and it doesn't sound insanely awful. It was something like 7 AM to 12 noon and then 5-9 or something like. It is 7 days a week though but they said they get days off sometimes. They do work hard and deal with a lot of unpleasant things so I'm not minimizing what they do, just saying it doesn't sound like the horror story people like to portray it as. 

2 hours ago, Gilley said:

I wonder if this will make people tip onboard less or not at all.  It seems they are doing before Icon sets sail.

I wonder if they are trying to balance the people who remove gratuities by raising the amount for those who pay them.

I don't mind paying it in the future (already paid for our March cruise) but I also might reduce what we leave extra in cash. Which stinks, because when I give the cash, I know for sure where the money is going...