survey I just received

Record earnings! Best quarter ever! You hear this and you think "Whew!" Maybe now they can stop the death by a thousand cuts that is killing my desire to book anything new. Nope! Let's see how fast and how far they can gut the core experience.

This company under Mr. Liberty has me very much questioning my loyalty to cruising in general. They are going to keep pushing this and in five years they are going to wonder why all the repeat business has dried up.

37 minutes ago, fireclan said:

Wow. I mean, we're only talking about "okay" pizza.

I know right? They already took the Anti-Pasti away. Scaled the WJ way back. Gutted the MDR menu. Rolled back cleaning service. Doubled or tripled nearly every fee on Coco Cay. That mostly all happened the first month after Fain stepped down. I could have understood this stuff more when the restart first happened and they were actually just barely getting by. But it seemed like Fain was trying to protect the product. Now, it seems nothing is off limits and they are testing the waters to see how much they can get away with. It's a slippery slope.

Everyone knows that Sorrentos offers nothing close to the delicious wood-fired pizza found in thousands of pizza joints nationwide.

I'd like to think these survey questions are merely being test-marketed to gauge guest response...hopefully the RCL marketing/finance folks hear the responses loud and clear. 🤣

Not surprising.  When people asked questions on the Presidents cruise-“Michael Bayley forum” that involved a potential to reduce costs etc he would often defer to his “numbers guy”, “crunching numbers” etc.  yes, it’s a business-and since there’s record numbers the way we are accustomed to cruising will be changed, not necessary gonna like it.  Eventually this will backfire on them. 
PS I suppose on my upcoming cruises I better start mentioning that I’ve eaten at Sorrentos (have pretty much cut that out) so I can be calculated in their count.

I have said this in a few other threads, cruising offered great value last few years and I have upped our number each year. Other vacation options (Vegas) nickel and dimed me to the point I stopped going. 

Is average pizza the straw? Probably not. I havent eaten there the last few cruises I have been on. But removing one of the few included dining options on Freedom class and below certainly won't help matters.

Well it looks like my next 4 cruises I have planned and paid for will be my last.  I don’t think I will be able to keep up with the high prices and cutbacks.  Then again if cruising is still cheaper than an all-inclusive resort.  May have to find another way to vacation or be left doing staycations.

24 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

I received a survey, but all the questions were suite related. The only food questions had to do with how important included specialty dining would be versus other suite amenities such as having genie or exclusive experiences. 

Would love to fill that one out! lol

1 hour ago, DDaley said:

Funny, I just took this survey but did not get served these questions since I didn’t say I went to Sorrento’s on the last ship I sailed (because there wasn’t one). I was interested in the section about them possibly adding Cuban, Thai, Chinese or Indian restaurants though! 😋

I got that survey today but did not do it as in the part it asked how much you make in a year there was no option for do not wish to answer and would not let me go on without answering.

2 hours ago, Al Miller said:

Record earnings! Best quarter ever! You hear this and you think "Whew!" Maybe now they can stop the death by a thousand cuts that is killing my desire to book anything new. Nope! Let's see how fast and how far they can gut the core experience.

This company under Mr. Liberty has me very much questioning my loyalty to cruising in general. They are going to keep pushing this and in five years they are going to wonder why all the repeat business has dried up.

Yup. My sentiments exactly. Last week, after coming back from my 10th RCCL cruise in 3 years was the first time I started researching land vacations... Options are VERY VERY attractive - especially with pricing and amenities offered, large sprawling rooms, enormous resorts with highly rated animation teams, pools you can actually swim in without having to rub into a stranger, Hot tubs with ample elbow room and NO ADD ON FEES!   Also looked into NCL and even Carnival which are also coming in at much less.  After my last cruise on Oasis in July I don't see the added value in paying for RCCL "enhanced" experience...

It's THE only option for food after a certain time on most ships (except those weird sandwiches at Cafe promenade). And also the main source of food for my 11 yr old. I'd definitely be upset if they started charging...my kid would need a pizza package like we have for drinks

21 minutes ago, ScottD said:

It's THE only option for food after a certain time on most ships (except those weird sandwiches at Cafe promenade). And also the main source of food for my 11 yr old. I'd definitely be upset if they started charging...my kid would need a pizza package like we have for drinks

A pizza package! Such a great idea!!!! But hopefully not one RC looks into further...

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

In related news, MSC is now charging for additional MDR entrees

https://www.cruisehive.com/another-cruise-line-adds-main-dining-room-charges/108281

oh boy. cruising is never going to be the same.. I'm glad my kids got to experience some of the good times..

**Edit - cruising will only be the same for the affluent who care not about spending (some of those who are affluent still want value for their dollar). 

3 hours ago, Al Miller said:

Totally agree. 

Completed the survey. Looks like they're mining for additional shipboard $$$.  Last trip was in a junior suite so that must have determined what questions you're to see. Where I could comment, suggested junior suite be given a couple of meaningful benefits; certainly I don't expect top tier stuff, but suite boarding access (denied that at Port Canaveral for Wonder, overzealous contract sheepherder) but maybe limited Concierge services or couple days access to Suite Lounge would be nice.

Hope I wasn't too hard on RC when I commented supermarket frozen pizza was about equal to Sorrento's, again saying I wouldn't expect Giovanni caliber pizza, but they can do better.

Just back from a cruise on Oasis of the seas.. have not cruised for awhile,  but I can certainly say that everything has  gone  downhill on..Royal Caribbean.. although our wait staff was wonderful the food was deplorable...just awful. And ship was way very crowded..but still had fun with my family 😃

Edited by Maria Grimaldi
Correction

At this point it's just a question on a survey.  I think we're all a little worried because if they would charge for pizza, then none of the included food remains completely safe.  Still it is only a survey question.  They may be considering monetizing Sorrento's space in other ways and are trying to gauges the overall interest in the pizza with the questions set of do you eat the pizza and would you still if there was a cost.  For me, I would rather they get rid of it completely before trying to charge for it.

As they have been in cut mode, we'll see if the question turns into an actual charge and if so, I think it will change a lot of people's minds about cruising.  not because we love the pizza, but because the camel's back can only hold so much straw.

I'm hopeful that their survey will give them the information that guides them to leaving it as is.

I think if they were 100% certain, they would just do it an not ask.  The presence of the question though indicates that they would like to charge for it.

While I'm all for a modular approach so those that don't want internet don't pay for it, those that don't want drink packages don't pay for them etc.  Somehow this seems too modular to me and I would rather the cost of Sorrento's just be overhead and spread into all of the fares.

I said in the Princess thread that I can see how their change bothers Princess customers, but to me, who hasn't cruised on Princess, it makes no difference.  The same applies here.  Of course it's going to bother us.  The included food is a bedrock of the experience and we have a relationship with it.  To those that never cruised, they'll probably not care one bit.

If it ever does come to pass, it seems counter to the food court of more included options that is being added to Icon.  it would also be counter to a primary area where RCI rates lower than their direct competitors NCL and Carnival.  Casual included food.

I hate that the genie is even out of the bottle.  Time will answer all of our questions.