My partner is gender fluid

hugh

My partner and I are part of the lgbt+ community my partner is gender fluid so sometimes wears more feminine outfits,they wish to wear a bathing suit at the pool some days just looking to find out if they would be met with much resistance from other guests any input would be great thanks

12 hours ago, hugh said:

My partner and I are part of the lgbt+ community my partner is gender fluid so sometimes wears more feminine outfits,they wish to wear a bathing suit at the pool some days just looking to find out if they would be met with much resistance from other guests any input would be great thanks

As long as what is legally required to be covered up is covered up, you gotta do your thing. To hell with what others think. 

Welcome to the boards.

Your partner can wear what they would like as long as all the appropriate bits are covered. They may get some stares depending on how long the cruise is and what ship/port they embark on. I sailed out of LA and Miami and saw plenty of humans not in gender conforming clothing, no one bothered them. A good time was had by all. 

32 minutes ago, Dave Reeseg said:

It's all good unless your partner is overweight in an undersized speedo!

This is the majority of men I see on the pool deck. 

But............OP's partner would possibly be wearing a bikini or something since post is about being gender fluid. 

Cruises tend to be pretty friendly and open to the LGBT+ community.  You're obviously going to get someone who may give a look or maybe not accustomed to people being "different" in their eyes, but to hell with them...enjoy your vacation. Remember, also, that they have LGBT meet ups on the ship on  a nightly basis!  

On my first Caribbean cruise in 2006, one of our travel party was fluid, Miss Brad.  They wore a leather bikini bottom to the hot tub one night.  Everyone loved Miss Brad, even the conservative couple from Georgia at our MDR table.  It is just as much your holiday as everyone else’s so enjoy yourselves.  Happy cruising!   

You're getting a lot of support here, which is great. But I think you're asking what to expect from others. Truthfully, I think you'll be fine. It's possible you get the occasional unintentional stare from people less comfortable with your partner's gender expression, but I can't imagine it would be anything overt or direct. Kids who haven't encountered it much in their own lives may whisper or something. But, again, I don't think you'll come across anything intentionally mean-spirited or direct. 

On 4/8/2023 at 10:44 AM, hugh said:

All Guests are expected to adhere to the code of conduct.

Guest Conduct Policy (royalcaribbean.com)

Look, if I were to see someone wearing non-gender conforming swimwear, I would a) mind my own business or b) compliment them because they probably wear it better than me. Do what you want. There are always going to be people who think their way is the only way, no matter where you are. Most of us, however, don't care what you wear. 

This thread is a great example of most cruisers' attitude toward stuff like this: "we're on vacation; most of us don't care what you're doing as long as it's not directly interfering with us or taking something away from us."  So let's say 90% of cruisers are either supportive or unconcerned.  That leaves 10% (or probably a lot less) that might give you trouble… but only if you let them. Try to avoid the grumpy monkeys who can't relax and do your best not to think about them.

Remember, the grumps and serial-complainers are in a prison of their own making.  They are literally on a cruise ship and still having a bad time.  There's no way to punish them more than that.

1 hour ago, Mike n Ky said:

To each his own and live and let live. The only problem I have is socially inappropriate behavior and people hating on me for my beliefs.

As long as you don't expect others to do and not do based on your beliefs, then I can't see why anyone would hate on you.

Also, "socially inappropriate" behavior is very subjective and widely open to individual interpretation.

But live and let live right.

20 minutes ago, Ray said:

You mean like people wearing knee length socks with sandals? Cause to me that is just totally unacceptable!!! 

And now that the thread has experienced anything other than “acceptable” responses, I expect it will be locked soon. 

58 minutes ago, Bowen said:

Yes your gender fluid partner will get looks. No, no one will say anything. 

Maybe not to their face but its almost certain thing's will be said others or complaints made to guest services! 

You only have to read these threads to see that there are people who will complain about anything and everything if its not to their liking or how they think things should be. 

My only concern would be if it was leopard skin print! I just don't think it is that nice no matter who's wearing it lol 

16 minutes ago, Bowen said:

And now that the thread has experienced anything other than “acceptable” responses, I expect it will be locked soon. 

I actually thought it would have been locked after the post saying topless women would be a bigger issue! 

14 minutes ago, Ray said:

Maybe not to their face but its almost certain thing's will be said others or complaints made to guest services! 

You only have to read these threads to see that there are people who will complain about anything and everything if its not to their liking or how they think things should be. 

My only concern would be if it was leopard skin print! I just don't think it is that nice no matter who's wearing it lol 

If your think anyone is going to complain to guest services, you’re not paying attention. No one is going to risk getting black balled from a cruise line or risk being charged with a hate crime for not wanting to see a man in a bikini. Believe me, no one is going to say anything at all. The OP and their gender fluid partner will be fine.

15 minutes ago, Bowen said:

If your think anyone is going to complain to guest services, you’re not paying attention. No one is going to risk getting black balled from a cruise line or risk being charged with a hate crime for not wanting to see a man in a bikini. Believe me, no one is going to say anything at all. The OP and their gender fluid partner will be fine.

I've paid attention to this whole subject for 8 yrs.....ever since my daughter came out as lesbian! So I'm pretty clued up on the stigma! The abuse! Or even just the glaring stare that makes her feel uneasy and not welcome...

21 minutes ago, Ray said:

I've paid attention to this whole subject for 8 yrs.....ever since my daughter came out as lesbian! So I'm pretty clued up on the stigma! The abuse! Or even just the glaring stare that makes her feel uneasy and not welcome...

That happens to everyone, it’s not new, it’s not relegated to people’s sexual preferences, it’s just life in society.

59 minutes ago, Bowen said:

That happens to everyone, it’s not new, it’s not relegated to people’s sexual preferences, it’s just life in society.

Pretty sure it doesn't happen to "everyone" - I say this as someone with a physical disability. My friends and family never talk about getting strange looks from people yet it happens to me on the daily on vacation. 

to the OP - enjoy your vacation. Don't let anyone take away your joy. Personally I don't wanna see too much full frontal or butt on anyone so as long as bits are covered, who cares. 

22 minutes ago, ellcee said:

Pretty sure it doesn't happen to "everyone" - I say this as someone with a physical disability. My friends and family never talk about getting strange looks from people yet it happens to me on the daily on vacation. 

to the OP - enjoy your vacation. Don't let anyone take away your joy. Personally I don't wanna see too much full frontal or butt on anyone so as long as bits are covered, who cares. 

People with disabilities, people with facial piercings, people with lots of tattoos, people when they find out you homeschool, yeah it happens to pretty much everyone. We just move on with life and understand that people are judgmental and no amount of wishing is going to stop that. I choose not to be a victim, they can stare if they want, it doesn’t matter. OP will have a great time. 

I say people should wear what makes them happy / comfortable and ENJOY your fabulous vacation.

that being said be aware that staff may not call them by proper pronouns ( if that may bother them). My sister is married to my fantastic sister in law and dresses more masculine. She was constantly called “ SIR” and was even asked to cover up in the dining room when she had a tank top on and I was wearing a far more revealing outfit. Seems men and women have different clothing rules and quickly gave her the male rules. She took it in stride but I know it started to get old quickly. I lost count how many times I said “ not sir!”