Possible gov’t restrictions. Nooo!!!!

Jill

Advising someone against cruising isn't the same as banning someone from cruising. If the government comes out and actively says "look, we don't think you should do it", that doesn't mean you can't. Heck, in my mind, that's great...cuts down on the crowds ?

Nothing I see in that article says they're considering an outright ban, just an advisory against. 

39 minutes ago, Jill said:

for the industry, yes...however...selfishly, think of the half full ships to sail on and the deals the cruise lines will offer to get them back on board. Sign me up!

Regardless...not to minimize what's going on...everyone in my area seems to be losing their minds...you can't get toilet paper anywhere right now...I'm glad we buy bulk at Sams.

18 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

for the industry, yes...however...selfishly, think of the half full ships to sail on and the deals the cruise lines will offer to get them back on board. Sign me up!

Regardless...not to minimize what's going on...everyone in my area seems to be losing their minds...you can't get toilet paper anywhere right now...I'm glad we buy bulk at Sams.

Because toilet paper is the cure for Covid-19. No, wait, it prevents coughing.  No, wait.....

That Reuter article suggest, the U.S. State Dept. "ARE" encouraging people not to take cruises in the Asian area, no such thing in the U.S. or American areas. The U.S. & American areas are under review....I suspect a clear decision on the wording/recommendation, won't be made, at least at a minimum, until after VP Pence meets with the Cruise Industry CEO's.

Dont 

13 minutes ago, Jill said:

Apparently MSNBC was reporting the possibility of all cruises cancelled for next month. That the government would bail them 

I by no means want to see people sick, but I have waited almost 2 years for our cruise in April. All my kids are grown, so it is awsome to get together with all of them. I hope we still get to cruise.

27 minutes ago, Jill said:

Apparently MSNBC was reporting the possibility of all cruises cancelled for next month. That the government would bail them out. 

I’m not a fan of MSNBC so we shall see after Pence meets with the heads of the cruise lines this weekend in Ft Lauderdale 

Whose government? LOL

Ok. What's next stop all flights. This is ridiculous in my opinion. As if all cruises are at risk. So am I supposed to think that cruising from Puerto Rico is at risk?  Paranoia is winning and facts are not. Hey let's shut down also disney world because there is been cases in Florida... Like come on 

2 minutes ago, gi333 said:

Ok. What's next stop all flights. This is ridiculous in my opinion. As if all cruises are at risk. So am I supposed to think that cruising from Puerto Rico is at risk?  Paranoia is winning and facts are not. Hey let's shut down also disney world because there is been cases in Florida... Like come on 

The way crowds are at Disney right now, I would loveeee for all this to steer some people away! LOL. Well, the fear of it, not the actual virus obviously. We (regrettably) bought WDW annual passes for Christmas and can't deal, I mean can.not.DEEEAL. with the crowds! It would be amazing to not have to wait 20 mins in line for a beer or 2.5 hours for a ride. But hey, "happiest place on earth", right? -_-   Thank goodness for cruises, RC is our true happy place ?

7 hours ago, Zacharius said:

Advising someone against cruising isn't the same as banning someone from cruising. If the government comes out and actively says "look, we don't think you should do it", that doesn't mean you can't. Heck, in my mind, that's great...cuts down on the crowds ?

Nothing I see in that article says they're considering an outright ban, just an advisory against. 

Yes but it could allow the government to refuse any help if you get tied up in any virus related issues and delays.

7 minutes ago, SteveinSC said:

Can they do anything about people buying up all the daggum toilet paper? Good grief.....but nobody is overreacting ....nooooooo. ?

With all the panic going on and shortages,  we will probably have to dig into the US government's strategic tp reserves!

On 3/6/2020 at 12:13 PM, Jill said:

I agree.  Cruises aren't the problem.  I don't think the Washington and New York experiences were cruise-related.  Cruises, however, are an example of a group meeting that can spread any disease.  In that sense, there is an increased level of risk.  But what about transit systems in a major city?  We do need to think about our lifestyle, but knocking out cruises, in my opinion, won't inhibit the spread of the disease because there will always be random cases in high-density places exacerbated by a long incubation period.  I vote for living life as you see fit, but being smart about it.  Easy for me to say, as I am getting older...I wish everyone safe and healthy travels.

23 hours ago, gi333 said:

I am on the Disney World message boards and believe me, there are people on the boards over there saying any day now Disney World will shut down.  

I mean come on. I simply DO NOT see that happening.  no way they close down 30,000 hotel rooms.  Can you imagine the chaos. 

I think for the time being the cruise indistry will continue taking peoples temps, and giving them the option of changing.  I dont see much more than that for now.  

1 hour ago, CoupleOfCruisers said:

Hmmmm.....says anonymous source! I’m crying foul! It is an election year and there are unfortunately people who want to hurt the economy to hurt the President. #JMHO

Or ... what individuals or entities or other interests will make an obscene amount of money selling the vaccine and benefiting from the temporary bear market ?

57 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

Whats Breaking about this.. They have said for days that elderly people should avoid cruising... I am not elderly but even if I was I would still go on my cruise... 

Official advice: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html?fbclid=IwAR23mRlu4-382HLuSM8i0KWQBSaZ4heDniggmxR3kBR6e2EgWiKr6B0EseM

If the US government are advising citizens not to travel would that invalidate travel insurance?

46 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

Official advice: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html?fbclid=IwAR23mRlu4-382HLuSM8i0KWQBSaZ4heDniggmxR3kBR6e2EgWiKr6B0EseM

If the US government are advising citizens not to travel would that invalidate travel insurance?

Unless you had cancel for any reason insurance this wasn't covered by Travel insurance anyways so why does it matter what the government says? not trying to be mean.. I just don't understand why this all of a sudden makes a difference to people. 

Boarded Liberty today. 400 empty cabins due to cancellations this week. However, the ship doesn’t feel less empty. There’s enough hand sanitizer everywhere that you could bath it in. People must have packed their entire house (present company included, but I always over pack.) in anticipation of a quarantine because luggage delivery is delayed. I’m not worried... my HR director is on the ship, so I’m covered. Saw her as we boarded. DW jokes about how I see people no matter where we are from school/that I taught. Well, this time it may come in handy as long as I don’t partake in too much Kraken. ?

21 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

Unless you had cancel for any reason insurance this wasn't covered by Travel insurance anyways so why does it matter what the government says? not trying to be mean.. I just don't understand why this all of a sudden makes a difference to people. 

Sorry I'm from the UK where our travel insurance is often directly linked to government travel advice. So if the foreign office here advises you not to go somewhere and you then choose to do so, the travel insurance will not cover you whilst there if something goes wrong and you incur additional expense.

So I wasn't talking about cancelling. More if you have to pay for extra flights/accommodation were the itinerary to change or medical expenses.

15 minutes ago, Mark_UK said:

Sorry I'm from the UK where our travel insurance is often directly linked to government travel advice. So if the foreign office here advises you not to go somewhere and you then choose to do so, the travel insurance will not cover you whilst there if something goes wrong and you incur additional expense.

So I wasn't talking about cancelling. More if you have to pay for extra flights/accommodation were the itinerary to change or medical expenses.

I don't know how it works in the UK with travel insurance sorry.. Also not sure how it works with flights because I am spoiled and live in Florida and drive to all my cruises.. 

Why fo you say indu

2 hours ago, AGSLC5 said:

Why do you say it isn’t covered?  If you have a doctor letter saying you cannot go why wouldn’t it be covered?  It makes a big difference to those of us who are “ of a certain age” and have underlying health issues. Your comment is very crass and insensitive. 

1 minute ago, Mljstr said:

Why fo you say indu

Why do you say it isn’t covered?  If you have a doctor letter saying you cannot go why wouldn’t it be covered?  It makes a big difference to those of us who are “ of a certain age” and have underlying health issues. Your comment is very crass and insensitive. 

Yeah what if you have an underlying issue and you have the insurance. Wouldn't a doctors letter work?

17 minutes ago, Mljstr said:

Why fo you say indu

your right if you have a doctors letter it would count.. Not trying to be mean. Just extremely frustrated with people asking other people if they should cruise or not. Its a personal decision everyone needs to make. I am choosing to keep cruising. You are choosing not to.. Neither one is right or wrong its what is right or wrong for you. I just personally find all the multiple threads on the same topic extremely annoying but I apologize. 

14 minutes ago, mark52479 said:

Yeah what if you have an underlying issue and you have the insurance. Wouldn't a doctors letter work?

Read your insurance policy documents. You would be surprised how difficult it is to get your situation to fit into one of the reasons that they DO cover.  The doctor letter would have to be written in a specific way to match the policy language to qualify for coverage.