"Monstrosity" of the Seas

7 minutes ago, teddy said:

Lol

Social media:  Making everyone’s personal opinion feel relevant to individual echo chambers for a couple decades….and now it’s become “newsworthy”. 

In other news, different people like different things.  

I like broccoli. Fight me 

I LOVE broccoli. How dare you only LIKE broccoli? You heathen!

" five times larger than the Titanic"

I'm so sick of people comparing the new ships to the Titanic....EVERY modern cruise ship is significantly larger than the Titanic. I just checked and the Vision Class would be the closest in size, still coming in about 70 feet longer and 30,000 tonnes heavier...

I think this only happens to "hold weight" because people never actually comprehend the ACTUAL size of the Titanic. If they realized how small it was, (to what we consider standard now) I think they would stop saying this. But I think people legit imagine Titanic to be the size of Freedom-class ships so then yeah...something 5 times larger is bonkers to picture.

Just now, CrimsonCruiser said:

" five times larger than the Titanic"

I'm so sick of people comparing the new ships to the Titanic....EVERY modern cruise ship is significantly larger than the Titanic. I just checked and the Vision Class would be the closest in size, still coming in about 70 feet longer and 30,000 tonnes heavier...

I think this only happens to "hold weight" because people never actually comprehend the ACTUAL size of the Titanic. If they realized how small it was, (to what we consider standard now) I think they would stop saying this. But I think people legit imagine Titanic to be the size of Freedom-class ships so then yeah...something 5 times larger is bonkers to picture.

18 minutes ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

Photos of Icon & Utopia don't look that different that Wonder up close and personal. They all have big old butts and considerable overhang from the hull............kinda like me. 🤪

Utopia will be almost identical to Wonder, as expected. Icon? Not so much.

The more I see the images of the Icon the closer I get to cancelling the cruise I have booked for next November.  The price I paid is awesome (and I even booked it refundable) because I booked as soon as the sailings were available.  However, I am realizing I just have no interest in so much “real estate”!  
I booked it to celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary but I have already begun looking for different options.  Perhaps another family cruise with our 3 kids…their spouses…and our awesome 5 grandkids!  That’s what makes both me and my husband happiest…spending time with our family. 🥰  Once our upcoming Oasis cruise comes and goes and we make sure everyone would agree to cruise again will make that decision for us.

But it won’t be on Icon!  😂 

11 hours ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

However, I am realizing I just have no interest in so much “real estate”!  

That’s kind of how I feel but I’m also a creature of habit & appreciate how well I know Oasis class (and love it) so it could easily be my personality getting in the way.

28 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

That’s kind of how I feel but I’m also a creature of habit & appreciate how well I know Oasis class (and love it) so it could easily be my personality getting in the way.

I definitely am partial to Oasis class…I’ve been on Oasis and Allure and booked on Utopia for next Sept.  I’m also looking at Symphony out of Bayonne for next summer.  Maybe it’s just the pictures of the back of Icon that create a very busy and crowded feeling for me.  It just screams…yikes!  

22 minutes ago, PPPJJ-GCVAB said:

I definitely am partial to Oasis class…I’ve been on Oasis and Allure and booked on Utopia for next Sept.  I’m also looking at Symphony out of Bayonne for next summer.  Maybe it’s just the pictures of the back of Icon that create a very busy and crowded feeling for me.  It just screams…yikes!  

This was me, early day one of release of Icon with credit card in hand. I really watched the videos again and while looking at the deck plans for my cabin realized, oh no...this one is not for me. Add to that the time of year open on my calender to sail her, it gave me pause, caused me angst. I enjoy the Oasis class usually but this one was not for me. There is something for everyone, the magic happens when you know yourself and your preferences. Truth is simple, just because she isn't for me doesn't mean she isn't the cats meow for someone else. Different strokes....And I too, love broccoli!!

@OCSC Mike I just finished mowing my lawn, and I was thinking of you, lol! Actually of @ZBrady as well. Hoping he and his family are AOK & just got wrapped up in the moment & never looked back....which is so cool too! 

But Mike, I realized for me again personally it's not the time of day for my date with the lawn it's the sun. I watch it carefully & hit the front as soon as the huge home on the lake across the street from our perfect little nest is in the suns path, at that point I waddle my butt out there and get er done. I mow with the sun, as it rotates.....so do I! 

So random I know, why here I don't know...sorry OP for the hijack. Anyway to wrap it up, Icon way to big for me 🤣

Oh, while I'm doing the hijack @Ampurp85 & @asquared17 I hate tomatoes, but I could eat salsa & pico for days....

It makes me smile to see that there are others who are saying  "Icon isn't for me" or "Icon not at this time", it's good to see that I am not alone.

I have a smallish list of of things that I don't like about Icon that go beyond the current pricing and stateroom offerings that are turn offs, on some future thread I'd like to bounce these ideas off of others here and see what all 'ya alls think.

15 minutes ago, bobroo said:

It makes me smile to see that there are others who are saying  "Icon isn't for me" or "Icon not at this time", it's good to see that I am not alone.

I have a smallish list of of things that I don't like about Icon that go beyond the current pricing and stateroom offerings that are turn offs, on some future thread I'd like to bounce these ideas off of others here and see what all 'ya alls think.

Fire away!

You'll almost certainly never be alone in any subjective opinion about an aspect of cruising. Different strokes... That's why it's nice that Royal has so many options as far as ships, home ports, itineraries, dining options, etc.

38 minutes ago, bobroo said:

Its interesting. I truly believe that Icon's targeted consumer is the non-cruiser, not the experienced cruiser.

This topic has been a delight!  Love to read everyone’s opinions and it has really helped me decide to cancel my November 2024 cruise.  I definitely will need to replace it with something, since as I’ve noted a few times, early November (the 3rd) is my anniversary and 2024 is 45 years!  But at least I can do it in a relaxed manner now and hopefully find the perfect itinerary…just like I found the perfect man all those years ago!  He’d be rolling his eyes at me if he knew I just posted that about him…lol 😂 .  

First let me say, I am very positive for Icon as it relates to the company. I think it is a very good move and will be very popular. I also am very encouraged that for behalf of the company, they are using a nearly an entire female team of designers and decision makers. Good Job Royal,  Bravo!

On the other hand, even though there are many elements to Icon; my attention gets focused to the aft of the ship. I gotta say, Have you ever been on the aft of an open top deck like that before??? It's windy as hell back there when underway. The Freedom, Voyager, and Vision class ships have all added those serpentining glass panels to cut down on the wind and make better use of the aft top decks and those areas are still underutilized. I know people will say I love mini golf or hammock time or the ease of finding a colorful wicker clamshell bed in the afternoon but I think the simple fact is that it is still too windy for folks to stick around.

And, the exposed top deck of any ship gets hotter than hell in the intense Caribbean sun. I think we all have done that funny dance on the pool deck when you are walking in your bare feet and you are looking to deliberately walk into the nearest puddle of water just to cool off your soles because they feel like they are walking on the surface if the sun. So yeah, I'm thinking the infinity pool and smoothie bar and the other members only neighborhoods up there are probably undesirable places to be because it's too hot and too windy. Which is sorta good because those conceptual drawings and videos have greatly undervalued the occupancy of 6.000 pax and their pool chairs and restaurant seats. Try doing the most remedial headcount watching them. Now, Royal plays funny games with scale with their conceptuals to suit their advantage as anyone who has seen the conceptuals for the Nassau Beach Club knows. But, rewatch an Icon video and count the loungers, seats and illustrative people, you'll be surprised what a low number you come up with. And I'm just trying to get to like 3,000.

Crown's Edge-- you are deliberately suspending passengers off the side of the boat like it's a carnival ride???? There is so much wrong here I can't even write further. I am also the guy who strongly disagrees with the zip line at Labadee which is dangerous and even worse than this Crowns Edge crazy. 

Here it is 2023 and there is still not a single solar panel anywhere to be found? Honest to God... I'm guessing they still will not have come around to LED lighting either. It very well could be a good part of the reason new ships are $1B + is because they still spec incandescent lighting and ignore the ideal free energy they receive daily. 

Now I hope they are revamping the entertainment and it gets updated to like 2010. Because 2010 is going to be "old" to the passengers of Icon. Can you imagine if they try to have the Village People thing??? To put it in another context, it's like you go onboard to any other Royal ship and they build excitement about doing the Charleston. Icon needs to be much more urban, much more Hip Hop, and way, way more electronic music. 

For me I believe the appeal of Icon is it will be a resort/amusement park type ship. While Oasis and Quantum class are big and have neighborhoods, they still have that ship feel, if you get my meaning. Icon gives me the feeling it is not trying to be a ship, but this destination that moves like a ship. It is not for people who cruise frequently, it's for people who want to try a cruise and it not feel like a cruise. Yes, it is ugly. But to have all the bells and whistle they have to sacrifice something. The thing is this ship is built for the new cruiser who will think it is a marvel.

16 hours ago, bobroo said:

Here it is 2023 and there is still not a single solar panel anywhere to be found?

Solar panels are still heavy so the extra weight would have to be taken into consideration to use them on a large scale.  I'm sure the technology will evolve to where it's feasible but I don't think it's there yet.

We're first time cruisers and we're booked on Icon next April.  We don't know spit about cruise ships.  

This ship was chosen for us by our adult children & grandchildren who are all frequent cruisers.

We have no preconceived notions or anything to compare it to.  We will have a good time wherever we are with our dear ones.

Be assured, we will post our feelings upon our return.  Could be a one & done or maybe we'll get hooked like many here?  🙂 

After the launch hype wears off, I can't imagine Icon will be much different than Oasis class overall for families/kids. Do we think there will be this instantaneous and overwhelming tidal wave of families sailing with Royal now that the Icon class has been created? Oasis class never appealed to them, but Icon is now irresistable? Royal has catered to families for such a long time (Dreamworks, etc.). Most of their commercials for many years have targeted families (at least since the Oasis class launched). I know they are stepping up their advertising and looking to take on the Disney/theme park segment more than ever.

I think the well thought out flow and design of Icon (Surfside and the water park neighborhoods especially) will help "contain" 😀 young families and small children better than Oasis class. I'm going to assume (and hope 😆) that most families will want to spend significant time in the Surfside and water park neighborhoods which should free up much of the remainder of the ship for much of the day. For the record, we don't have an issue with families/children... we just like the option to sometimes get away to adult-only and quieter areas throughout the day! As they say... time will tell!

... and I have to laugh at the endless articles and news segments on the size of Icon... will it float? Is this the next Titanic! It's only marginally larger than Wonder/Utopia (only 5.5% larger in gross tonnage and 14 feet longer). Wonder is almost 237K tons, comes in at 1,184 feet long, and has 19 decks. Icon is almost 251K tons, comes in at 1,198 feet long, and has 20 decks.  Knock on wood... Oasis class ships have remained afloat for many years! 😂 

I do agree the aesthetics (especially the bulbous aquadome) will take some time getting used to! We can't wait to see the new spaces, inside and out, and experience the new dining options/experiences! 300 days to go for us! 😎

28 minutes ago, JohnK6404 said:

I'm going to assume (and hope 😆) that most families will want to spend significant time in the Surfside and water park neighborhoods which should free up much of the remainder of the ship for much of the day.

I actually find that this somewhat applies to Oasis class as well. We always sail with lots of kids even though we have none b/c my wife is a teacher. We really don't mind, partly b/c we're used to it and pretty laid back, but we also don't tend to frequent areas that kids/families do. We prefer the Solarium (not really to get away from kids, we just like relaxed and less crowded, don't need the band/DJ right by us, and I need shade). We don't do slides, wife stopped doing the flowrider a while back (too many bruises from wiping out, lol), don't spend a ton of time on the boardwalk (just go there for Playmakers and aqua shows mostly), etc.

Anyway, I guess my point is I think there could be some merit to your hypothesis.

On 7/14/2023 at 9:04 AM, Neesa said:

@Ampurp85 & @asquared17 I hate tomatoes, but I could eat salsa & pico for days....

i’ve been summoned 😂😂

i find icon fascinating in the abstract; i think the concepts are going to be out of this world COOL, the champagne bar calls to me from across the seas, i love the idea of NEW and exciting 🤩 — but like many others, i am happy to “hang back” in a standard oasis class. 

(a sentence i never thought i’d say 😅😂 #firstworldproblems, much??)

much like utopia, i am jazzed for a new ship in the fleet and looking very forward to reading liveblogs + watching/reading reviews — but it’s not a priority ship for me right now, mostly due to cost. (and a little bit due to the influx of tiny smalls 😂)

the crowns edge thing scares the $h*t out of me — but i doubt royal would have even entertained it, much less put it into place without having double or triple safety redundancies in order (to say the least) — if for no other reason than what that kind of bad press would do for their shiniest star. …that sounds salty, guys 😅 but you know what i mean 💚

again, i’m very eager to get some firsthand accounts from our very own, here on the boards — and that will hold me until icon two comes out and/or the prices go down (if they ever do 🫠🙃)