Masks during the whole cruise? Vaccines Required? Limited Ports/Excursions? What would be too much?

markinct

Our next cruise isn’t until Easter 2022 so I am really hoping we are through most of this stuff by then; not just cruise restrictions but the travel and quarantine related restrictions we current face in ?? as well as the uncertainty of our vaccine rollout schedule. Masks to a limited degree aren’t a red line for me, but depending on the cruise mask policy at the time, may be a deciding factor for us as hubby and son may not be as accommodating as me. LOL I am not too worried about limited spots for dining, entertainment and activities as I am hoping the star class benefits will be that much more valuable.  

17 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

You can always go on an Oasis class ship and you can book an Owner and Grand Panoramic Suite or an Royal Loft Suite which have whirlpools and you don't have to wear a mask since you are in your stateroom.

True, good point actually...but I need to win the lottery for that to happen....

not sure where I fall on the spectrum here.  months ago I was squarely in the "I won't wear the mask on my vacation" camp but now that it's part of the daily regimen, its not a deal breaker for me.

most likely I'll have to actually take a cruise in the beginning, restrictions and all, see how bad it sucks firsthand, and then decide if I want to make future bookings as long as XYZ restrictions are in place.  

(sidebar-  I dont actually know the answer to this, but does the CDC technically have jurisdiction on a foreign-flagged vessel once it is sailing in INTL waters?  I understand they may require testing / masks / distancing to board, but beyond that?  @Twangster?  lol)

There are several things that caught my attention in Carnival's announcement.  First was guest are allowed to submit a test taken up to 5 days prior to cruising. While that might seem like a great idea its concerning because that is a lot of time between the test and the cruise.  I think last year MSC required all guest over the age of 6 to present a negative test taken within 48 hours of embarkation.

The second thing that caught my eye was guest will be required to wear mask at all times outside their stateroom which is to be expected.  However the second bullet point under the exceptions stated eating and drinking seated at a table.  Does this mean the only way you can be serve or consume any type of food or drink outside of your stateroom is if you are seated at a table?   No more walking while enjoying a cocktail?  I'm just trying to see if interpreting the restrictions correctly.

11 hours ago, JasonOasis said:

The second thing that caught my eye was guest will be required to wear mask at all times outside their stateroom which is to be expected.  However the second bullet point under the exceptions stated eating and drinking seated at a table.  Does this mean the only way you can be serve or consume any type of food or drink outside of your stateroom is if you are seated at a table?   No more walking while enjoying a cocktail?  I'm just trying to see if interpreting the restrictions correctly.

This is what I'm wondering too.  It's so nice sitting by the pool or standing by the rail watching the wake....with a drink in hand.  Wonder if that'll be a thing of the past (for awhile)?

50 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

This is what I'm wondering too.  It's so nice sitting by the pool or standing by the rail watching the wake....with a drink in hand.  Wonder if that'll be a thing of the past (for awhile)?

Not the same thing at all I know but the Disney implementation is that you must step out of the "walkway" and then remain still while you eat/drink, remasking before you start walking again.

Food and Wine festival is very different when you have to pick up your stuff, walk to the nearest table/railing/dead spot and then stand and eat/drink.

I kept trying though and after about the 5th trip you get used to it and its actually kind of fun to stand and people watch while you drink your cocktail ?

Having just spent a week in Aruba I am torn as to whether I would accept a mandatory mask situation on a cruise.  It would probably have to be a very discounted price for me to take a cruise with a mask requirement.  Aruba requires masks everywhere public but we rented an Airbnb with a private pool so we got to relax and really enjoy.  I am not sure cruising would feel as "free" yet.

On 2/4/2021 at 7:23 PM, markinct said:

New CDC ruling makes wearing a mask during the entire cruise mandatory....  Even if you're on deck with no one near you, it would appear.

At what point do the restrictions and limitations outweigh the fun and relaxation of cruising? 

I'm starting to think that even if the major lines get cruises going in July, the cruises will probably be fairly dystopian. Maybe short runs to Coco Key or Labadee? 

What do you think? How drastic do the limitations have to be for you to decide to wait 6 - 12 more months?

This is not a vacation. 

9 hours ago, L454S said:

Agree with this. The mask police wandering around the ship sounds like a ball, as well as the elevator police. Sounds like a prison.

Anti maskers wandering around sounds like a ball as well.... it was hard enough to get people to wash their damn hands before entering the buffet or MDR, they gotta be strict or just not sail.

1 hour ago, danv3 said:

The "must purchase a cruiseline-provided excursion to leave the ship" rule is a lot more concerning to me than the mask requirement.  I have a hard time imagining taking a cruise (especially to Caribbean ports you can easily do yourself) under that kind of requirement.  

Good point. No more walking around the port for shopping exc? What’s the point?

6 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Good point. No more walking around the port for shopping exc? What’s the point?

Am I understating this correctly? Once at a port we cannot just get off the ship and explore on our own? We have to book an excursion through cruise line to leave the ship when docked?

On 2/4/2021 at 6:43 PM, Dan Curtis said:

We just canceled yet again, not wearing a mask in 90 degree weather on top deck, hate to say it, after 20 cruises, we might have to find a new favorite vacation. I have the first shot, if the shots are not good enough, we’re holding off.

Cancun is our getaway vacation now.

16 hours ago, CruisinForABruisin said:

Anti maskers wandering around sounds like a ball as well.... it was hard enough to get people to wash their damn hands before entering the buffet or MDR, they gotta be strict or just not sail.

Sound like sailing with the Gestapo to me.

5 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

I have been tested and have been vaccinated and since i do not have the virus there is no way I can pass on the virus. I will not wear a mask anymore.

According to our health minister you can still get covid and give coivd even when vaccinated..hence no let up in lock downs or social distancing for months or years in Canada.....

Crazy and silly I know....will be interesting to hear what the CDC or Fauci says about that.