Short Cruise trend

Its interesting to see the trends towards shorter itineraries. Its not just Royal, even Celebrity is getting in on the short cruise game. I'm curious if this is due to societies increasingly short attention span that even vacations are trending to short form?

I'll just be over in the corner searching for longer itineraries.......

18 minutes ago, Psycho and Barb said:

Think it also may be attractive to new cruisers.  Let them experience a cruise at a lower price and for a shorter time...Over a weekend might even be a bigger draw.

This is why I think they're doing them and why the new and bigger ships are getting more 3 and 4 night trips. Certainly makes sense, but I admit, it's a bummer to me as someone who has to fly to port, that so many ships are doing short ones. I was hoping to hop back on Freedom in 2025 but she's only doing 3 and 4 nighters....and b2bs don't end up being cost effective vs a standard 7-night (trust me I looked T_T)

15 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Not really a lower price as shorter cruise cost more per night than a longer cruise. 

Exactly.  What do manufacturers do when they want to increase profit without you noticing ?  They package their goods in smaller amounts/volumes and charge the same or slightly more for it.  So instead of getting 12 oz of dried beans you now get 10 oz and they hope nobody will notice.  While this is not the ONLY strategy at play here, it is certainly one of them.  The other reason for the shorty cruises (IMO) is that they are trying to force each and every ship to call at PDCC since that has been such a cash cow for them.  With the shorty cruises arriving and departing at different days of the week, they can have ships at PDCC on days that they otherwise, could not.  I think this strategy will backfire b/c frequent cruisers (which Royal no longer values, I realize that) will do exactly what we do and just quit getting off at PDCC.  Their only hope is the new cruisers...but even they will get tired of PDCC at some point.

A 3 night weekend cruise makes a lot of sense for someone who can drive to the port and enjoy a weekend away. They will pay a premium for it and probably spend more on board.

The downside for the cruise line is it has to be paired with a 4 night cruise during the week.  This makes far less sense for someone who has a job and wants to maximize their vacation time.

Cruise lines must have concluded that the advantages of the short weekend cruise are worth the trouble of dealing with the hard to fill week long cruise. 

For me personally,  I'm not flying to a port for anything less than 6 or 7 nights. However, I will drive an hour for one if the price and timing are right.

Don't forget Florida is one of the most frequented tourist spots in the world. With over 130 million annual tourists and a population of over 20 million people and having four easily accessible ports within driving distance of each other, Florida has got to be a focus with this. We're cruising short durations more than we ever have since they're an easy getaway when you're local. I also met a family from Scotland last weekend at Perfect Day that was just in Orlando for vacation and decided to do a three-nighter on Allure because of the convenience. 

The market is changing a bit, but the only way you can affect change is to spend your dollars on the things that matter to you. 

I have never been a fan of the short cruises either, because I have to fly into all ports. However, this trend that Royal is starting is strangely coming at a good time for where we are at as a family.

I have a 4 nighter booked on Allure for NYE this coming December, a 4 nighter for UT for March 2025, a 4 nighter for NYE 2025 on UT, and a 4 nighter on WN for March 2026. Two of these sailings are definitely going to be without my oldest, and the other two are questionable. In the past, I would never have booked so many 4 nighters, but the thought of leaving a 18/19 year old at home alone for a shorter period of time, while still being able to get away a bit is appealing and works for us for this coming season of life. The only negative is that my climb up the C&A ladder is taking a bit of a hit.

Hopefully, in a few years, when I retire and we ditch the freeloaders, Royal will pick up more longer sailings again.

The other thought I had is that with our new family rule of flying in two days prior to cruise, even a 4 nighter becomes a 6 day vacation for us. For a Canadian, who desperately wants out of the cold, I cannot complain!

I can see the appeal of a short cruise to complement a few days at a theme park within a 7-8 day vacation week.  I wouldn't do it now but 15 years ago it would have been a possibility.  A week at a theme park is a little much....

8 minutes ago, ChessE4 said:

I can see the appeal of a short cruise to complement a few days at a theme park within a 7-8 day vacation week.  I wouldn't do it now but 15 years ago it would have been a possibility.  A week at a theme park is a little much....

Especially with theme park tickets the level they are now. For the price of a three-day park hopper at Disney, you could take a family on a cruise for the weekend. 

For Europe the shorter cruises are twice the cost per night to a standard 7 night cruise.
This being the case I will not be taking them - and I cant see my adult children doing so either.

For so many cruises in Europe you have to fly to the mediterranean port anyway so a 3 or 5 day cruise just isn't worth the additional cost, particularly when you factor in time and cost o9 the flights as well

We did Allure B2B 4/3 in January. We won't do it again. My wife found the party atmosphere on the 3 night to be too much. Also as stated before PDCC is getting really old. We're going to do Hideaway Beach in a couple weeks off Icon to see what that's like. The port upgrade in Nassau has also helped. Being from New Hampshire getting to Florida doesn't make sense to do anything less than a 7 night. I'm starting to eyeball the 11 or 12 nighters from Bayonne as they at least over a bit of diversity in the itineraries.

2 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

More per night, yes. But the overall cost is lower and most people don't look at the per unit price when shopping, just the total.

I think it is more so a lot of newbies don't really know the cost. Price a 3/4 night and then a 7 night. Sometimes it is as much and /or more. I feel like a couple of years ago this was true but with Oasis class doing shorties, it's not the case.

I saw a 7n symphony that was less than a 4 night Utopia. I understand Utopia is new but that ship is only doing shorties. Royal knows what they are doing because people are willing to pay a premium. It's the marketing.

6 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Exactly.  What do manufacturers do when they want to increase profit without you noticing ?  They package their goods in smaller amounts/volumes and charge the same or slightly more for it.  So instead of getting 12 oz of dried beans you now get 10 oz and they hope nobody will notice.  While this is not the ONLY strategy at play here, it is certainly one of them.  The other reason for the shorty cruises (IMO) is that they are trying to force each and every ship to call at PDCC since that has been such a cash cow for them.  With the shorty cruises arriving and departing at different days of the week, they can have ships at PDCC on days that they otherwise, could not.  I think this strategy will backfire b/c frequent cruisers (which Royal no longer values, I realize that) will do exactly what we do and just quit getting off at PDCC.  Their only hope is the new cruisers...but even they will get tired of PDCC at some point.

LOL Cruise shrinkflation!

6 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I think this strategy will backfire b/c frequent cruisers (which Royal no longer values, I realize that) will do exactly what we do and just quit getting off at PDCC. 

Just now saw this.  You are EXACTLY on point.  Don't get  me wrong, PDCC was great, back in the day (tender).  Now it is just a waterpark for $$$$ and the newbies.  Still loyal to Royal, but very disappointed.  I used to love snorkeling there, not anymore.  Ship is the destination at PDCC for now; maybe things will change (still adjusting my sails).

5 hours ago, steverk said:

The downside for the cruise line is it has to be paired with a 4 night cruise during the week.  This makes far less sense for someone who has a job and wants to maximize their vacation time.

I actually disagree with this point.  For me, a 4 night weekday cruise means I can take a week vacation (M-F) and still have most of both weekends for yardwork, housework, and don't have to rush to pack/unpack.  If the cruise is M-Th, I can fly in a day early on Sunday (cheaper than F/Sat) and fly home later Thursday (also cheaper than Friday) and I can mow my lawn both weekends.  For a 7 day cruise, I'm definitely losing a full weekend (no matter what day it embarks) and going straight from work to travel and/or vice-versa.

Now I may be in the minority on this, but I like having time at home between work and vacation.

2 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

For me, a 4 night weekday cruise means I can take a week vacation (M-F) and still have most of both weekends for yardwork, housework, and don't have to rush to pack/unpack.  If the cruise is M-Th, I can fly in a day early on Sunday (cheaper than F/Sat) and fly home later Thursday (also cheaper than Friday) and I can mow my lawn both weekends.

Not pointing this out to be a jerk, but 4N weekday cruises go from M-F. You can't fly home on Thursday.

We sail from NJ only but even here we have a few short cruises. 4 nights to Halifax and I consider 5 nights to Bermuda short. The rest are 7/8 day cruises to Coco Cay and 9 day cruises to Canada/NE then throw in a few 11 and 12 night Caribbean cruises. We are Anthem now, 7 nights Coco Cay and Liberty in Oct 9 nights Canada/NE which we do quite often, its our favorite cruise that honestly I could do every single year. Next year we stuck a 4 night Halifax cruise and a 5 night Bermuda cruise together for our first back to back. Long winded way of saying, we do not like short cruises!

We tend to do the shorties due to school holidays and my wife’s vacation schedule. With the exception of an 8 day in 2026, we’re booked on all 4&5 nights trips. It also helps with being able to stomach the jump to Star class. The latest addition is a 4 night on WTS in the RLS booked today for a bit over 8k during fall break next year. It’s the last one I needed to book to get to diamond as well.😂

That being said, I’m looking forward to getting to do more 7+ days and eventually some transatlantic sailings as well but not while we’ve got a kid in school. 

Since we typically fly to get on a cruise ship, the only 3 or 4 day itineraries that make sense are the ones we can pair up with a 7 nighter  Cuts down costs of overall travel expenses.  One long trip seems to be cheaper for us than 2 short ones.   Plus time off work, boarding pets, parking, hotels,.....really adds up.

Several years ago I tried finding 4 day trips (Thurs-Mon) so I wouldn't miss too much work, but now that you have to fly in a day early, it just doesn't make sense.

I agree with earlier posters that many people look at total cost of the "shortie" and think it's a  better deal than a weeklong cruise.  

9 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I have never been a fan of the short cruises either, because I have to fly into all ports. However, this trend that Royal is starting is strangely coming at a good time for where we are at as a family.

I have a 4 nighter booked on Allure for NYE this coming December, a 4 nighter for UT for March 2025, a 4 nighter for NYE 2025 on UT, and a 4 nighter on WN for March 2026. Two of these sailings are definitely going to be without my oldest, and the other two are questionable. In the past, I would never have booked so many 4 nighters, but the thought of leaving a 18/19 year old at home alone for a shorter period of time, while still being able to get away a bit is appealing and works for us for this coming season of life. The only negative is that my climb up the C&A ladder is taking a bit of a hit.

Hopefully, in a few years, when I retire and we ditch the freeloaders, Royal will pick up more longer sailings again.

The other thought I had is that with our new family rule of flying in two days prior to cruise, even a 4 nighter becomes a 6 day vacation for us. For a Canadian, who desperately wants out of the cold, I cannot complain!

Living most of my life in Michigan I get that feeling of wanting to escape. Winter is so long, overcast, and cold!

There's two reasons why a cruise line would like a short cruise.

First, the price per day tends to be higher on a short cruise. Plus, the price for add-ons is higher (drink packages especially).  And as @twangster pointed out, a CocoCay visit adds a lot of profit too.

Second, first time cruisers flock to short cruises over long cruises, and first time cruisers are what drives growth and their customer base.

We did a 4 day early on in our cruising days and found it is just to short.

We have done all 7 days from then on and our last was 8 days and that was perfect. 

We have a 6 day spring cruise booked and I am not sure how that will feel if that is to short too.

Something I'm not so sure about is would it it be fun to go on a B2B2B. We have previously and are going in the future on B2B cruises each 7 days so in total 14 days.

But would it be fun to go on 3 or 4 four day cruises? I'm not worried about 4 times at Coco Cay or 4 times on an caribbean island but 4 times port Canaveral or 4 times Miami and not really long enough to go to Disney or something like that...

Has anybody done 3 or 4 four day cruises in a row and was it fun?

1 hour ago, ckruetze said:

Something I'm not so sure about is would it it be fun to go on a B2B2B. We have previously and are going in the future on B2B cruises each 7 days so in total 14 days.

But would it be fun to go on 3 or 4 four day cruises? I'm not worried about 4 times at Coco Cay or 4 times on an caribbean island but 4 times port Canaveral or 4 times Miami and not really long enough to go to Disney or something like that...

Has anybody done 3 or 4 four day cruises in a row and was it fun?

I am a doing a B2B2B on freedom in May, it's a 4/3/4-night cruise for a total of 11days. I have some fears. I don't get off at PDCC or Nassau, the ports that will be visited. So none of those matters, I am worried about the food and pax though.  I did a B2B on Navigator a few years ago that was a 5 and 3 night.......it was an experience.