Royal Caribbean decides not to ask whether you have been vaccinated!

I wonder how this will pan out.  It seems like DeSantis is being a huge bully. If private businesses choose to have requirements that they believe will either keep customers safe or improve conditions, the state should not interfere.  If anything, this seems like a higher level of governmental influence, which governers like DeSantis have been against.  It's purely political grandstanding to get him on the Republican presidential ticket (IMO).  All that being said, it does seem like RCL could make some arrangements for people who are unvaccinated, which may require more mask wearing and/or daily testing.  

46 minutes ago, LCinPDX said:

All that being said, it does seem like RCL could make some arrangements for people who are unvaccinated, which may require more mask wearing and/or daily testing.  

How will Royal know if they can't ask who is and who isn't vaccinated?  This all seems silly to me because supposedly nobody will know who is vaccinated or not.  It will just be a personal choice about what people want to do to protect themselves which is fine with me.  It just seems more likely that there will be outbreaks of covid on cruise ships and then we will likely know who wasn't vaccinated.

1 hour ago, CGTLH said:

Just apply a policy to everyone and make an exception to those who voluntarily provide proof.

One could argue that is the same as asking.  I just hope the majority of people voluntarily provide proof.  Somehow I don't think the new verbiage "strongly recommended" will be enough for many people but I could be wrong. 

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

If you WISH to show proof of vaccination, go this way.  If not, go that way.

I can envision a plexiglass tunnel disguised as a slide that leads off the ship!  Personally, I don't have too many worries but the financial risks for Royal could be enormous.  I can see a person who wasn't vaccinated suing Royal because they caught covid while on a cruise.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

So even CCL is joining NCL in requiring vaccines, see below. RCCL will be the only line not. It will be just a matter of time before a RCCL ship ruins it for everyone with covid outbreak. Stupidest move ever.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/environmental-health/shift-covid-19-vaccination-thinking-carnival-cruise-line

31 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

One could argue that is the same as asking.  I just hope the majority of people voluntarily provide proof.  Somehow I don't think the new verbiage "strongly recommended" will be enough for many people but I could be wrong. 

I can envision a plexiglass tunnel disguised as a slide that leads off the ship!  Personally, I don't have too many worries but the financial risks for Royal could be enormous.  I can see a person who wasn't vaccinated suing Royal because they caught covid while on a cruise.

Someone could argue anything, but I think the winning argument would be that it satisfies the FL ban.  I am sure Desantis would accept it as he would do a victory lap.

8 minutes ago, blaue said:

So even CCL is joining NCL in requiring vaccines, see below. RCCL will be the only line not. It will be just a matter of time before a RCCL ruins it for everyone with covid outbreak. Stupidest move ever.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/environmental-health/shift-covid-19-vaccination-thinking-carnival-cruise-line

Time will tell

Well we were cancelled just yesterday for our August cruise so we won't sail till next June the earliest. Do you think by then all of this and I mean all of this talk and these questions be gone by then? I'm really hoping now that we are forced to sit out even longer and won't sail to June 2022 this will all be gone and over by then. 

17 minutes ago, blaue said:

So even CCL is joining NCL in requiring vaccines, see below. RCCL will be the only line not. It will be just a matter of time before a RCCL ship ruins it for everyone with covid outbreak. Stupidest move ever.

That’s interesting.  My thought was Royal was backing off the vaccine requirement for 12+ as a response to Carnival (at first) not requiring vaccination.  Now - will Royal  reverse  course again?  Mandate vaccinations? 

10 minutes ago, Zurc said:

That’s interesting.  My thought was Royal was backing off the vaccine requirement for 12+ as a response to Carnival (at first) not requiring vaccination.  Now - will Royal  reverse  course again?  Mandate vaccinations? 

It’s definitely tough to be on an island, but I hope if they change course it’s only for 18+, and I understand for me that’s self serving.

3 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Nothing says they have to ask. Just apply a policy to everyone and make an exception to those who voluntarily provide proof.

The problem I have is the way this is going, we will all be treated as unvaccinated.  The measures that go along with that label are more than I will tolerate given the amount of money invested.

I took full refund now for my July 24 Symphony cancellation, and unfortunately will not be booking another Royal cruise until this is sorted out.

26 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

The problem I have is the way this is going, we will all be treated as unvaccinated.  The measures that go along with that label are more than I will tolerate given the amount of money invested.

I took full refund now for my July 24 Symphony cancellation, and unfortunately will not be booking another Royal cruise until this is sorted out.

I can see the voluntarily show proof of vaccination or come be tested daily and Oh btw un-vacinated have to eat in this dining room at this time, no other option. you can only attend this show where masks will be required.  There will be a special bar where the computer know you can get a drink that also requires masks, al other bars you are locked out of.  By Royals own admission based on those surveys i have filled out a couple of times now,  80% percent of their customer want vaccinated cruises and even more 90% say they are already vaccinated.

When will our country QUIT trying to make itself accomidate the minority and proceed with what the majority want.

11 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

So many unhinged people!  Why is "Choice" and "Opinion" such a bad or incomprehensible words ?

I suspect Disney will also follow RCCL!

That has been explained so many times, but we have all become so intrenched in our own opinions, no one is listening anymore.  I agree the real danger is how much focus will be put on even a single case on a ship, that even if it's handled well, it could begin a new shutdown.  And even if the US doesn't shut it down, many ports may not allow the ships to visit.  No one knows what is going to happen, but the requirement of the vaccine initially would be much safer.  So even if you don't want to take the vaccine or disclose whether you have or not, letting it happen that way for a few months at least would probably be better for everyone in the long run.

Here is an idea! And a real way to possibly have a test cruise!

Have two Royal Ships!

One with Vaccinated People

One with unvaccinated People

After the voyage see if any people pop positive because we all know vaccinated people can still test positive and carry Covid!

11 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

Have two Royal Ships!

After the voyage see if any people pop positive because we all know vaccinated people can still test positive and carry Covid!

I actually want to see a full 7-night cruise happen (no test cruises). One is vaccinated with no masks and restrictions, One is unvaccinated with masks and restrictions. Tell me which one is more fun and which one you'd rather go on.

7 minutes ago, johnt83 said:

I actually want to see a full 7-night cruise happen (no test cruises). One is vaccinated with no masks and restrictions, One is unvaccinated with masks and restrictions. Tell me which one is more fun and which one you'd rather go on.

Thank You for giving me a CHOICE, and I will pick number Two please.  It really should have not been this complicated!

I think if getting the vaccine wasn't shoved down peoples throats and where allowed to coexist on a cruise with vaccinated people, I think many of those un vaccinated passengers would be compliant with the rules imposed upon them.  

15 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

Thank You for giving me a CHOICE, and I will pick number Two please.  It really should have not been this complicated!

I think if getting the vaccine wasn't shoved down peoples throats and where allowed to coexist on a cruise with vaccinated people, I think many of those un vaccinated passengers would be compliant with the rules imposed upon them.  

Everyone has an idea of what a cruise looks like for them going forward. If you're down with the restrictions, please have a good time! And I get what you mean about vaccines being shoved down people's throats, let's just say there was a reason for that...

1 hour ago, RBRSKI said:

I think many of those un vaccinated passengers would be compliant with the rules imposed upon them.  

That is why they had mask riots and threats on the governors life in the great state of Michigan?

guess we just have to disagree on this point.  I will say though

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
  Voltaire (1694-1778) French writer and historian.

have a pleasant rest of your evening and good health to you

Well, vaccinated people are pretty much 'virus proof' and get to live a normal life. Those willing to voluntarily show they have been vaccinated may get access to areas closed to those who are not. Those that are not vaccinated take their chances and potentially will have to face the consequences of their decision, what ever that might be. There is your freedom. You get to choose.

So Royal have dropped the vaccine mandate for US sailings, do we know if that includes Harmony of the Seas out of Barcelona this summer? They haven't announced anything specific for Harmony so I presume it will be the same as the US and have no vaccine mandate?

55 minutes ago, Ditchdoc said:

Well, vaccinated people are pretty much 'virus proof' and get to live a normal life. Those willing to voluntarily show they have been vaccinated may get access to areas closed to those who are not. Those that are not vaccinated take their chances and potentially will have to face the consequences of their decision, what ever that might be. There is your freedom. You get to choose.

Think about that statement for a minute..Those that aren't vaccinated still get to live a normal life irregardless, it's just that they may possible get the virus or not. Who knows what their body immune situation is..they may have had the virus previously and it didn't affect them based on various factors and built up an immunity to it.

For those that have received the vaccine, what does it matter if you're in a vicinity of unvaccinated people, Your vaccinated right? Then don't worry what others do, it's their choice how they live, NOT Yours or Mine! 

Why would there be a restricted area, the vaccine is supposedly the antidote that removes that factor from the equation, unless you don't trust the vaccine.

47 minutes ago, mworkman said:

Why would there be a restricted area, the vaccine is supposedly the antidote that removes that factor from the equation, unless you don't trust the vaccine.

Having passenger vaccinated reduces risk for the cruise line.  Having "Restrictions" in place for un-vaccinated acts as an incentive for them to be vaccinated.

Much like masks were never to protect myself as much as it was to protect others

I highly doubt Royal made a Willy Nilly decision. They’ve done their research. (Surveys) They know their protocols work (Singapore). 

They have the ability and have said they will disembark a positive case along with their travel party and pay for them to get home etc. 

If enough cases (threshold) are onboard, the cruise will end. This is what people are most worried about. However, it appears Royal has done their research, has followed the science their panel of experts has presented and feels this is low risk. 

Remember, ships will be reduced capacity at least until November 1. 

Royal has said their survey results have 90% vaccinated or planning to be vaccinated. 

After the last 15 months, they know the risks of this decision and obviously feel it is low. 

I do see however fairly strict protocols for those who are not vaccinated and it will be these protocols that will weed out many of those people. Many do not want to cruise with masks, period. They will wait a bit longer until masks are waived for everyone. 

I do not think this is as big a deal as some are making it out to be. 

13 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

So many unhinged people!  Why is "Choice" and "Opinion" such a bad or incomprehensible words ?

I suspect Disney will also follow RCCL!

Because choosing not to vaccinate and to keep the ability to infect others will mean pre-vaccination rules for everyone at best, infecting other passengers at worst.

I am not a mathematician but I would speculate that:

An un-vaccinated person is at much higher risk.

Two un-vaccinated people together increases the risk, perhaps exponentially, e.g. the risk goes from 50% to maybe 80 or 90%   .... etc.

Vaccinated people are at a much lower risk but lower is not 100%.

Two vaccinated people together decreases the risk even further to the point its almost 100%. 

A cruise ship, as has been said by many, is a floating petri dish. You HAVE to consider not just yourself, but other passengers and perhaps more importantly, the crew.

Do you want groups of un-vaccinated people, at a much higher risk of being infected, touring the bridge and talking to the Captain, the First Mate, the Navigator, the Chief Engineer etc?  These are the people responsible for your safety, for the safety of the ship. True they should all be vaccinated at this point and are reasonably safe. If the opinion is, we are safe because the crew is vaccinated, then the argument becomes 'I don't have to be vaccinated and am safe because of those that are vaccinated therefor  I can afford to be be negligent and piggy back off those that are being responsible.'

With everyone being treated as unvaccinated, this means that everyone will have to give a negative test done at least 3 days before cruising. 

I have side to side cruises booked. Valiant Lady, which will be fully vaccinated, then Odyssey of the Seas. Since I can't get a PCR test for Odyssey, does that mean I have to cancel?

Royal caved to Florida, plain and simple.

13 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

Have two Royal Ships!

Not on a 100% vaccinated ship they won’t, at least not to an extent that matters. Basic concepts of virology, immunology, and statistics bear this out 

14 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

I can see the voluntarily show proof of vaccination or come be tested daily and Oh btw un-vacinated have to eat in this dining room at this time, no other option. you can only attend this show where masks will be required.  There will be a special bar where the computer know you can get a drink that also requires masks, al other bars you are locked out of.  By Royals own admission based on those surveys i have filled out a couple of times now,  80% percent of their customer want vaccinated cruises and even more 90% say they are already vaccinated.

When will our country QUIT trying to make itself accomidate the minority and proceed with what the majority want.

Unfortunately, the way the CSO is worded, at this time your scenario is impossible. RCL does not have the option to offer this. As far as the CDC is concerned either the ship is 100% vaccinated or 100% unvaccinated.