Jump to content
kittysoul

Feeling Discouraged....

Recommended Posts

I finished my first RC cruise last month... and have my next one coming up in May.  I was on the Facebook RC cruising pages (various ones) and it seems that the tipping questions always come up (as they do in here, I know too)...  people have made me feel nothing but horrible now...  After hanging out in these boards for months, i am still confused about the tipping stuff.... on Anthem last month, I paid my prepaid gratuities...and then put 50 dollars in an envelope and left for our cabin steward at the end.  I thought I had done right...and felt good about it... until today, I am in the Anthem of the Seas FB page, and all of these folks are in there shaming each other about what they leave... saying the prepaid gratuities dont even really get to your room steward, and so you must leave them at least 20 dollars per day extra... or at least 100 dollars at the end of the week.... it seems like no matter what you do, someone is always going to come along and shame you into feeling like it wasnt enough.   I just want to make sure I understand what the real norm is before my Harmony cruise in May.  Should I bump up my amount to 100 for the cabin steward..   I know, everyone should do what they can and think is right, but with so much conflicting information, i am overwhelmed with it all now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't let it bother you.  Everyone tips their own way.  Tipping is included so anything you give is above and beyond.

Imagine how I feel/felt when I tipped my Genie $200 for a 9 night cruise with my family of 4 and then come back to see people saying they tip $50-$100/night/person to their Genie......I'm not going to tip $1800-$3600

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, first, if you're reading a forum where people are shaming other people, leave that forum.  That's unnecessary.  We don't do that here. There's no reason for you to feel badly about a cruise like that. 

$50 is plenty because it truly is on top of what is expected.  If you WANT to leave more, that's fine - if you want to leave less, there's nothing wrong with that either.  I've left less, I've left more, depending on my particular room steward.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to you both! @SpeedNoodles  and @dodgestang ... I know i shouldnt listen to these people and i definitely would be better off to leave a group like that, you are very right.  and... 100 per day??  who are these freakin' people?? geez!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kittysoul said:

 100 per day??  who are these freakin' people?? geez!

Ha, right? And if they can swing it, good on them. But that's not the average person.  I have to pay my dog sitter almost that much a day as it is, I am not paying my room steward that much on top of it, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's very subjective. You do what you think you should do. To me, as long as you pay your gratuities, anything above that is great.

 

I have a lot of issues with the way people speak to one another online and try to stay off most of the groups. There is discussion and disagreement which is fine but once shaming is involved I tend to check out. Also, I've been wrong myself and perceived comments the wrong way - it happened recently and I did nothing about it, only to have the person apologize to me personally in case that I was offended. I read the situation wrong and was glad my temper didn't get the best of me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$50 is very generous.  Whoever said that the daily grats don’t get the room attendants doesn’t know what he** they’re talking about.  They most certainly do.  Ignore that forum. Someone is just trying to make themselves look like big spenders.  That kind are usually making up for some personal shortcoming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with @SpeedNoodles , leave that FB group. No one needs that nonsense. I find that this site is all I need for all things Royal Caribbean.

You're already paying a good bit amount of money for your vacation and whatever you want to pay above and beyond the standard gratuities is fine. There's no need to practically put yourself into debt just to tip people.

Quite frankly, There's no way to verify that the people saying they've paid $50-$100 PP/PD (YIKES!) is true!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do no more than the prepaid gratuities and the 18% billed on your charges, then you are doing exactly what is expected and nothing more is necessary.  

Unless they are an actual, current crew member, no one in that group can tell you what monies go where, anymore than they can tell you how it works at your local Red Lobster.  

Anything at all you leave is above and beyond, and people trying to one-up each other by throwing numbers around are just making noise.  You do what you do and consider it none of their business 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Facebook is a poisonous enough place, just get out.

I do the automatic gratuity, and sometimes I'll tip more...sometimes I don't. I have had stewards go above and beyond and I did slip them a bit more ($3 to $4/day extra), and I have had ones who did the bare minimum and didn't deserve any extra. Now, if that money does or does not go to them is between them and their employer, it's not my fault or problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First off, I'd get off that FB group...who needs that sort of negativity in their life. 🙂

I tip on top of the auto-grat, but I do tip throughout the week anytime a staff member provides an exceptionally hospitable interaction. I keep a few 5s, 10s, and 20s handy and probably tip out an extra $100 to $125 weekly.

For a few examples, I'll pop a $20 on the first day to our cabin steward as I kindly ask for a corkscrew to open the wine I've brought onboard. If I ask a question about something and any crew member reacts with a tremendous spirit, I'll probably give them a $5 handshake on the spot. If I bring one of my wine bottles to dinner, I'll tip the waiter a $10 or $20 upfront to avoid the corkage fee while also benefiting them for creating a better dining experience. In addition to $5 handshakes throughout the week, I'll likely tip an addition $20 or so to the cabin steward at the end of the week as well, preferring to hand it to them directly. I've found that giving $$$ handshakes really greases the wheels to an amazing cruise experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every cruise I have done some extra but nothing crazy.  I think a rating of 10 on the post cruise survey is also very valuable for them and to let them know how much you appreciated them and that you won't forget them on the survey is another way to show appreciation that they seem to be very happy about.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only time I did not tip was because, honestly, I completely forgot. But, don't feel bad- tipping was a choice I made but not everyone does. Many people do not even tip because they prepay gratuities. $50-$100 total is extremely generous, but $50-$100 PER NIGHT reaches into outlandish territory (I'm not even sure if crew members could accept a tip this large, so I have a hard time believing that this person was being truthful)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

Facebook is a poisonous enough place, just get out.

I do the automatic gratuity, and sometimes I'll tip more...sometimes I don't. I have had stewards go above and beyond and I did slip them a bit more ($3 to $4/day extra), and I have had ones who did the bare minimum and didn't deserve any extra. Now, if that money does or does not go to them is between them and their employer, it's not my fault or problem. 

I totally agree! We prepay our tips and add some to our room steward if he does a great job. That's what a tip is for...service.

 

1 hour ago, kittysoul said:

 I am in the Anthem of the Seas FB page, and all of these folks are in there shaming each other about what they leave... saying the prepaid gratuities dont even really get to your room steward, and so you must leave them at least 20 dollars per day extra...

That rumor has been going around forever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They do get the gratuity prepaid or paid daily, as I have discussed this with several room attendants.  I was also informed that they also get a list the night prior of our departure, those who have removed gratuity and who have paid up to date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kittysoul said:

I finished my first RC cruise last month... and have my next one coming up in May.  I was on the Facebook RC cruising pages (various ones) and it seems that the tipping questions always come up (as they do in here, I know too)...  people have made me feel nothing but horrible now...  After hanging out in these boards for months, i am still confused about the tipping stuff.... on Anthem last month, I paid my prepaid gratuities...and then put 50 dollars in an envelope and left for our cabin steward at the end.  I thought I had done right...and felt good about it... until today, I am in the Anthem of the Seas FB page, and all of these folks are in there shaming each other about what they leave... saying the prepaid gratuities dont even really get to your room steward, and so you must leave them at least 20 dollars per day extra... or at least 100 dollars at the end of the week.... it seems like no matter what you do, someone is always going to come along and shame you into feeling like it wasnt enough.   I just want to make sure I understand what the real norm is before my Harmony cruise in May.  Should I bump up my amount to 100 for the cabin steward..   I know, everyone should do what they can and think is right, but with so much conflicting information, i am overwhelmed with it all now.  

Personally, I think $50 for the Stateroom Attendant was very generous.  I wouldn't get discouraged just because there are some wealthy people who throw money around.  The myth that prepaid gratuities don't get to the Attendant is, well, just a myth.  For a normal non-suite room, the daily tips (per person) are broken out so that the dining room staff earn about $9 and the Stateroom Attendant about $5.50 daily.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot even tell you what I tip each cruise. I tip what I feel is appropriate. Don't think I've ever tipped more than $50. We are, very low key people, we don't ask for much and keep a tidy room. I'll admit, seeing the big tips people leave for a Genie freaks me out, because we would barely use the person, even less if we are cruising with friends not in a suite.

Edited by sk8erguy1978
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

I cannot even tell you what I tip each cruise. I tip what I feel is appropriate. Don't think I've ever tipped more than $50. We are, very low key people, we don't ask for much and keep a tidy room. I'll admit, seeing the big tips people leave for a Genie freaks me out, because we would barely use the person, even less of we are cruising with friends not in a suite.

...AAAAAAALL of this.  Kudos to those that tip big....I just dont. But its because I dont ask a lot. I try to make service peoples jobs as EASY as possible. Me and my fam are very low maintenance and feel wrong for asking things of others. I figure God gave me two arms, two legs, and half a brain, so I can do most things myself...I prepay gratuities and will tip above that if service goes above and beyond.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PRC said:

If you do no more than the prepaid gratuities and the 18% billed on your charges, then you are doing exactly what is expected and nothing more is necessary.  

I agree 100%. This is how I operate on my cruises, and nothing wrong with that at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SteveinSC said:

I figure God gave me two arms, two legs, and half a brain, so I can do most things myself...

YES! I remember once staying in a suite, we needed ice, I called the Suite Concierge for the request. He responded: "right away sir, I'll have your Stateroom Attendant deliver it." I thanked him, hung up, and said to my wife ... "I feel like a jerk, I could have asked the Stateroom Attendant." 😄😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...