Passenger Count

BrianB

44 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

They need to do something for Windjammer. We were on Symphony 2 weeks ago with ?50% capacity and it was hard to find tables for breakfast and lunch. Can't imagine them keeping every other table protocols with a fuller ship. The wait line would extend to outside or down multiple decks.

Exactly…I was on Freedom and Mariner with 50% capacity and had issues at lunch finding a table in windjammer.  I am on Symphony 12/18 and I was the one who spoke to someone on board about 5800 planned for that cruise.    They said even at around 4000 there are issues with elevators due to restricted capacity.  And if you try to climb in with more than 6 people are getting nasty about it.  

I worry about seeing the shows most.,.this will be my first Oasis sailing.  I have cruised many holiday sailings with lots of kids so my only worry is tables in Windjammer.  So with a ship that big I am just making plans to adjust.  breakfast room service or Solarium for both.

We were on the 11/28-12/5 Oasis cruise. I heard there were about 4000 aboard but I don't believe the ship was over half full.  Never had a problem finding a table in the WJ at breakfast or lunch. We did main dining for dinner, some of us went to the Solarium for lunch and b'fast  a few times.   We (6 of us) walked into all the shows without a reservation. Never had an issued finding deck chairs either around the pools or the Solarium. 

It was very nice being on board with the ship half full. Probably the best service we've ever had on an Oasis class ship.

Of course late Nov/early Dec is a slow season anyway, during the holidays your mileage may vary.

19 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

WOW.  That is awesome.  You have the place practically to yourselves !

Last week was about this number, and we definitely felt a presence of others on board. It never felt crowded, but was never a ghost town. The places we felt had a lot of people were the Solarium, and Windjammer during breakfast and lunch. The places that felt exceptionally empty were Schooner Bar, Izumi, and Vintages. Everywhere else had people, but it was a very comfortable level. It made me wonder why I could never land iFly or North Star complementary times!

24 minutes ago, MattG said:

Last week was about this number, and we definitely felt a presence of others on board. It never felt crowded, but was never a ghost town. The places we felt had a lot of people were the Solarium, and Windjammer during breakfast and lunch. The places that felt exceptionally empty were Schooner Bar, Izumi, and Vintages. Everywhere else had people, but it was a very comfortable level. It made me wonder why I could never land iFly or North Star complementary times!

North Star is complicated by the reduced numbers per trip.  Only six allowed now.  That's 24 per hour.  The complimentary slots go quickly.  

57 minutes ago, twangster said:

North Star is complicated by the reduced numbers per trip.  Only six allowed now.  That's 24 per hour.  The complimentary slots go quickly.  

Understood, but there were also paid time slots that were coming and going with nobody taking them. I was on the pool deck most of the morning of a sea day when the Extended Experience was offered, and there was an entire hour where it didn't go up at all. I really wish they would convert these to complimentary times, but also understand that the Extended Experience is about making money. 

5 minutes ago, MattG said:

Understood, but there were also paid time slots that were coming and going with nobody taking them. I was on the pool deck most of the morning of a sea day when the Extended Experience was offered, and there was an entire hour where it didn't go up at all. I really wish they would convert these to complimentary times, but also understand that the Extended Experience is about making money. 

It will be interesting to see if they maintain the current process where complimentary are only available on port days and sea days are at a cost.  This is new for them, they've never charged like this.  In Alaska the paid trips were only when visiting a glacier for a few hours.  All other times were complimentary. 

They'll likely adapt if they think they can make more money.  Maybe they'll drop the price or give up on the paid concept entirely.   

17 hours ago, ChuckyBost said:

I am on Odyssey if the sea right now. Head count 3280.  It is 80% capacity which is probably the highest  capacity since pandemic.   I will keep my fingers crossed.  

This is pretty telling. If Odyssey is at 80% now, I have to imagine all the major ships (if not all the ships) will be at least 80% during the holidays. 

17 hours ago, ChuckyBost said:

I am on Odyssey if the sea right now. Head count 3280.  It is 80% capacity which is probably the highest  capacity since pandemic.   I will keep my fingers crossed.  

Wow! Curious how Odyssey feels with the higher capacity? When we were on board it was only about 1600 and the ship felt empty at times. 

12 minutes ago, KLA said:

Wow! Curious how Odyssey feels with the higher capacity? When we were on board it was only about 1600 and the ship felt empty at times. 

I was on Anthem with nearly full capacity, before pandemic. And it was no problems at all. 

Ships of this size with Carnival and Norwegian are much higher capacity. 

Royal Caribbean doesn't try to fit as many people as possible. 

And Oasis class ship, if it existed with other companies, will probably be like 10 thousand passengers. So many cabins can be built in place of Boardwalk, central park, etc. That's literally thousands of passengers... 

Newest ships of Royal are all about passenger entertainment... Not maximum capacity between the walls of the ship. 

18 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

So now I am curious, with capacity obviously increasing, especially for these holiday sailings, are they still distancing at shows in the theatre?  Or is that history?

On Odyssey the announcement in the theater was to the effect on the upper level unvaccinated guest should space out but on the main level for vaccinated only there is no need to have empty seats between different parties.

20 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

So now I am curious, with capacity obviously increasing, especially for these holiday sailings, are they still distancing at shows in the theatre?  Or is that history?

I did an 80% capacity cruise at Thanksgiving. They are still trying to do reduced capacity in venues and follow protocols, but it’s more smoke and mirrors for CDC. In reality….

9268D3AE-A14E-411B-9217-00872391814B.thumb.jpeg.3abf608a382c2200b4034ed4841efa45.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

I did an 80% capacity cruise at Thanksgiving. They are still trying to do reduced capacity in venues and follow protocols, but it’s more smoke and mirrors for CDC. In reality….

9268D3AE-A14E-411B-9217-00872391814B.thumb.jpeg.3abf608a382c2200b4034ed4841efa45.jpeg

Isn't this a picture of people leaving to go to port excursions? You used this picture to rail against excursion protocols. Even with 30% capacity it can look like that.

But as far as capacity goes, if they are 80% or higher, they will have to change some things around. I know at every vaxx only show I was at, they never enforced social distancing. Didn't have every other table closed in the WJ, just sections closed and sat everyone who had MTD close to each other. So, while there might be protocols, practice is a whole other thing.

22 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Isn't this a picture of people leaving to go to port excursions? You used this picture to rail against excursion protocols. Even with 30% capacity it can look like that.

But as far as capacity goes, if they are 80% or higher, they will have to change some things around. I know at every vaxx only show I was at, they never enforced social distancing. Didn't have every other table closed in the WJ, just sections closed and sat everyone who had MTD close to each other. So, while there might be protocols, practice is a whole other thing.

Would you rather have a picture of more than 5 people in an elevator, unxxed groups sitting in vaxxed areas at the ice show per Royal’s direction? Point is that protocols are impossible to maintain at higher capacity.

With 80% capacity on the Odyssey. I feel pretty crowded. For example, elevators are full most of the times. Most people don't practice social distancing. Waitress at Windjammer tried to remind people to wear mask. At least an hour wait for the flowrider. All complementary activities filled up the first day of the cruise. The whirlpool supposed to have capacity of six, but no one followed the rule. Fifteen people were in at the same time. 

2 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Would you rather have a picture of more than 5 people in an elevator, unxxed groups sitting in vaxxed areas at the ice show per Royal’s direction? Point is that protocols are impossible to maintain at higher capacity.

I merely meant don't use that photo as a scare tactic, which is what you were doing. I am sure when RCG increases capacity they will increase shows and elevator capacities. You don't like the protocols...or rather you don't think they are necessary. That's all you but to post a photo like that when someone ask about capacity is misleading.... especially since your sailing that you took this photo from, wasn't at 80%

41 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I merely meant don't use that photo as a scare tactic, which is what you were doing. I am sure when RCG increases capacity they will increase shows and elevator capacities. You don't like the protocols...or rather you don't think they are necessary. That's all you but to post a photo like that when someone ask about capacity is misleading.... especially since your sailing that you took this photo from, wasn't at 80%

1. Capacity is based on double occupancy 🙄 and I sailed at Thanksgiving. Several employees even referred to the sailing as full. For example, there were no empty or socially distanced tables in the dining room (assigned at least). Kids club restricted bookings to a few hours a day and you could only book a day in advance for entire sailing. Sorrentos line was almost always backed up to pub, ice cream line by pool was min 30-50 minute wait. 

2. It has nothing to do with me liking protocols or not, it’s basic math. For example, it is impossible to move people on elevators at 5 at a time, unless everyone is willing to wait for hours. It’s impossible to socially distance dining when capacity is near full. They attempted to turn people away from shows that were there 20 minutes early with a reservation, of course that didn’t fly.

3. Photo just sums things up, not meant to scare anyone. 🙄

1 hour ago, ChuckyBost said:

If you follow the passenger count for the last few months, the highest is around 60-65%.  This is the first cruise with 80% which included a few last minute cancelation.  I feel that 100% capacity is going to be difficult for passengers and crews during pendamic. 

I was on Freedom at 87% capacity in early October.  Several ships were over 65% for Thanksgiving.

Christmas will be a peak followed closely by NYE.  It may not reach 100% but ships will be pretty full using double occupancy as the measure.

January will settle back down below 80% and lower for certain ships.  Some ships will be 50%ish while other may trend 50-70%.  The weekend 3 night cruises will lead the charge, longer cruises or certain ports will trail behind.