Royal Caribbean Blog

CDC reiterates restrictions until November 1st, 2021

Just heard on CNBC that the CDC is basically ignoring any communication and guidance from CLIA and the Mayor of Miami recently and not changing their stance on the Conditional sail order. Instead of having cruises lifted by July under certain conditions, the CDC (aka Can't Do Cruising / Can't Do Crap) has stated they will not change or lift any restrictions until November 1st of this year. Bunch of BS if you ask me.

I think it's time to seriously start considering cruises departing not from a US port. The CDC is not on the cruise line side and it's so blatantly obvious. They allow all other travel modes but not cruising even though it is the safest w/protocols etc.

Cruise stocks took a big hit intraday including RCL.

I hate the CDC 🙂

May be an image of 1 person and text that says '[+0.35% CRUISE OPERATORS CARNIVAL CORP. (CCL) 25.42 +0.09 NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE (NCLH) 26.55 -0.06 [-0.21% ROYAL CARIBBEAN (RCL) 83.73 0.17 [-0.20% CNBC ARKET FLASH 6:22 CNBC CRUISE STOCKS DROP SHARPLY AS CDC RUSS 2K REITERATES CRUISE LIMITS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOV. VIX TRANSP. y'21) 110.3 S&P/GSCI (Apr'21) 471.2 VIX Index (Apr'21) 22 S&P 500 M) 130.13 2.39 Moderna Inc (MRNA) 134.45 2.08 Invesco 3,927.17'

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is from CLIA, and I think everyone here supports cruising restarting. There is a difference between political discussion (left vs right) and what this is about.

As I do my poor imitation of @monctonguy, "I said this was going to happen but noooooooooo, nobody listens." 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

They consider that a sharp drop? .2% and an increase of .35% for Carnival?  I guess I need remedial math, lol. My entire stock portfolio took a hit today and yesterday, and they are not composed

Posted Images

Here's my question.... did CDC's "statement" today simply reitterate the current company line right now? Similar to how Royal Caribbean says cruises will restart in June....until the next round of cancellations.

Meaning, they are giving the Nov 1 date, but it could be rescinded earlier?

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

Here's my question.... did CDC's "statement" today simply reitterate the current company line right now? Similar to how Royal Caribbean says cruises will restart in June....until the next round of cancellations.

Meaning, they are giving the Nov 1 date, but it could be rescinded earlier?

Yes, they reiterated it in response to the CLIA request to restart cruising 

Wow....that's insane....I mean, I may have pretty much thought and said it...but I was even holding out hope I was wrong.....

My streak seems to be intact.......:(

Makes me a little worried for our Nov cruise...its alot of planning and $ to tie up in hopes that 7 days after the CDC lifts we are good to go.....

In my don't believe a thing the MSM says mode, the CLIA announcement is quoted and while I can't find a link to the CLIA announcement's text, the verbiage is appearing at the usual places like Cruise News. I've not seen anything resembling a quote from Walenski or someone close to her in the organization identifying whether the CDC actually responded directly CLIA today with a date certain of November, 2021.   I don't think Fauci, from Allergies and Infectious Disease, has said anything either. He is the face of US infection control. I'd be looking to him to say something that won't be specific - he rarely is - but will try to present a happy, encouraging face.  

I do think it's pretty clear that the temperature in the room has risen - RCI starts sailing from ports easily reachable from the US and outside the CDC/US Treasury's jurisdiction, Fain is pretty clear that he's done waiting for the "technicals" to be provided to his company that were supposed to be provided months ago according to the CSO. RCI and others are operating cruise ships in parts of Europe and Asia. Launch the boats!..... and more are coming.

Most of us have been calling for a hard stand by cruise industry big-wigs and CLIA. We'll we have it. I'm thinking we need to see how the US government responds over the next week or so. The CDC may be moved to the back of the room and assigned an advisory role. CDC claims they really aren't in charge of deciding when the cruise industry sails again. Statements like that are usually a lead in to a punt to someone else higher up in the chain of command. Stuff like this is usually some kind of face saving effort on the part of government officials to circle the wagons and not let the CDC appear to have fumbled the ball on this. Too bad it is obvious they have and they have egg all over their faces. Something I think Fain and his colleagues were trying to prevent. Too bad, times up.

Bottom line, I'm not buying restarts until after November 1st.

I wish the CDC would just give a straight answer. If the answer is on Nov 1 we will lift the order and you can cruise out of the US just say so. That way cruise lines can plan and the public can also plan. I want to go on a Thanksgiving cruise and a New Years cruise.. If the order is listed by Nov 1 that can happen but if it isn't am I going to have to rebook a cruise out of Nassau?? Its so very frustrating

I just read the article in USA Today and I'm literally fuming right now.  For the CDC spokesperson to say so defiantly the CDC's CSO remains in effect until November 1st is ridiculous.  Even USA Today pointed out to the CDC last year they stated guidelines would be forthcoming and yet there have been no guidelines not a single one communicated to cruise lines.  The CDC has done nothing but sit on its hands for the past 5 months, and now when multiple news agencies and the Mayor of Miami start asking hard questions the spokespersons response was the CSO remains in effect until November 1st this is 100% unacceptable.  Which means the CDC has done absolutely nothing behind the scenes to resume cruising in this country all they are doing is stringing along this industry with no intentions of giving any updates.

If the federal gov doesn't do anything, I can see the CDC will avoid the CSO date(nov 1).    I'm sure the CDC will present a report of their findings that a certain % of USA population was not vaccinated. A potential risk for Covid to stay = no sailing ??     just thinking out loud..

Do we have a link to this "spokesperson's" actual quote allegedly in response to the public release of the CLIA position (link to that is above) saying "defiantly the CDC's CSO remains in effect until November 1st?" 

I'm not about to believe CNN or CNBC on this one. There was an article in the NYT's on line this morning writing about a negative COVID bias in news reporting. A study was undertaken to compare positive to negative press reporting among MSM (CNN was one of them). 87% of the reporting was negative. Meanwhile, scientific reports and journals were generally balanced or positive.

There is no story if the CDC doesn't respond (I suspect they may not have). There's a juicy story if they responded like CNN is reporting they allegedly did. 

1 hour ago, JeffB said:

I'm not about to believe CNN or CNBC on this one. There was an article in the NYT's on line this morning writing about a negative COVID bias in news reporting. A study was undertaken to compare positive to negative press reporting among MSM (CNN was one of them). 87% of the reporting was negative. Meanwhile, scientific reports and journals were generally balanced or positive.

I read this article as well. I was happy to finally see someone actually doing JOURNALISM. 

1 hour ago, JeffB said:

87% of the reporting was negative

Negative news generates interest.  Interest means ad revenue.

Positive news is great but doesn't tend to generate revenue for the media.  

Several cable news outlets put out blatantly incorrect stories because it generates interest and ad revenue.  They aren't reporting "news" they are creating it because it sells and they make more money.

It's all about money.

1 hour ago, JeffB said:

Do we have a link to this "spokesperson's" actual quote allegedly in response to the public release of the CLIA position (link to that is above) saying "defiantly the CDC's CSO remains in effect until November 1st?" 

Not definitely, but it does list November 1, 2021 as one of the potential end dates if it precedes the other two situations that could lift the order.  I think this has always been the date, though?

It's on their website: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.htmlcruise.thumb.png.48cf9369f599c5cbf87291ee50358e88.png