Carnival to sail August 1

1 minute ago, Jill said:

Just heard on FOX Business. 8 ships to start. Port Canaveral, Miami and Galveston. 

Light at the end of the tunnel. 

Waiting impatiently now for RC to follow! Fingers crossed ? 

I think Royal will sail July 24.. But could be Aug 1.. But like I said I think it will be from Florida and Texas.. I don't see any NY or NJ happening right away.. 

7 minutes ago, AGSLC5 said:

I think Royal will sail July 24.. But could be Aug 1.. But like I said I think it will be from Florida and Texas.. I don't see any NY or NJ happening right away.. 

Agree. That friend of mine that was hotel director on Oasis told me RC would likely bring back Oasis class first. I sail October 17 on Symphony so this will be good a test run before I hop on board. Hoping and praying for virus free sailings. 

I currently have a Symphony July 25.. I am hoping Royal opens July 24 the day the CDC order ends but if not I will have to move it to Labor Day weekend and just hope there is no hurricane... I still have an FCC from hurricane Dorian from last year lol.. But I am just happy there looks to be light at the end of the tunnel and I am ready for cruises to resume!!! 

We'll see...lots of hurdles to overcome.  Will CDC allow it?  What ports will they be allowed to visit?  Will passengers be required to quarantine when they return home?  Is sufficient crew available?  

If I were Royal and I saw CCL starting August 1, I'd target September 1.

8 minutes ago, danv3 said:

We'll see...lots of hurdles to overcome.  Will CDC allow it?  What ports will they be allowed to visit?  Will passengers be required to quarantine when they return home?  Is sufficient crew available?  

The CDC guidelines on Cruising expire July 31 I believe. 

So if not renewed CDC is out of the picture.  

48 minutes ago, Mike.s said:

Couldn't see any reference to European sailings in the announcement, perhaps they're looking at different timescales, or perhaps they're just canceling the season?

I think the cruise lines will ease back into sailings. Carnival only sailing 8 of its ships to start. 

I'm glad to see there are plans being put into motion by at least one of the major cruise lines, which will hopefully inspire the others to follow suit with something similar. And while I understand their move to start with a smaller fleet and a smaller number of ports, it makes me a bit sad that those of us who would have to pay basically half of our cruise fare to get to a cruise from one of these ports are just in a wait and see mode, especially sine the current picture in these ports is no better than those the rest of us hope to sail from.

Here's hoping I can get in at least one cruise this year. ?

Here is a speculative musing:

What if Royal Caribbean is not only delivering current crew to various places throughout the world, but they are also picking up NEW crew who have already been quarantined and tested ?

With airlines still not flying reliably, maybe they are picking up new crew when they go to the Philippines and Malaysia and Indonesia, etc.  Of course, if they have not already been isolating these new crew and tested them, then it wouldn't be a reasonable plan but maybe they had planned ahead and have new crew ready to board ?  Just thinking of possibilities....

2 hours ago, danv3 said:

Hah, I do like this line of thinking. YOU try it first, Mikey!

Also, I just noticed your avatar is strong bad, it's been so long since I thought of ol' homestar and the gang!

47 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

What if Royal Caribbean is not only delivering current crew to various places throughout the world, but they are also picking up NEW crew who have already been quarantined and tested ?

With airlines still not flying reliably, maybe they are picking up new crew when the go to the Philippines and Malaysia and Indonesia, etc.  Of course, if they have already been isolating these new crew and tested them, then it wouldn't be a reasonable plan but maybe they had planned ahead and have new crew ready to board ?  Just thinking of possibilities....

I like that line of thinking!

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

With airlines still not flying reliably, maybe they are picking up new crew when the go to the Philippines and Malaysia and Indonesia, etc.  Of course, if they have already been isolating these new crew and tested them, then it wouldn't be a reasonable plan but maybe they had planned ahead and have new crew ready to board ?  Just thinking of possibilities....

Lots of ships off the coast of the Philippines right now. 

I just called and cancelled my Aug. 22, 2020 cruise.  I hope for everyone that cruising will resume 08/01/2020 but I am not willing to risk it with my family at this time.  Still too many issues up in the air.  Will schools require self-quarantine, will my employer, are ports going to be opened?    Hopefully I will be on the Anthem 01/04/2021.    Bon voyage!

Grandeur of the Seas  January 3, 2019

Carnival Sensation August 2019 (NEVER AGAIN)

Anthem of the Seas    March 15, 2020  (Boo Corona Virus!)

Independence of the Seas Aug. 22, 2020 (another Boo!)

Anthem of the Seas January 04, 2021  (Praying!)

Given how thirsty a lot of people are to restart the economy and get back to normal; I can see how August will be feasible, especially with the limited ships. I can see RCCI doing the same but maybe with 5 ships, Liberty in Galveston and 4 out of Florida (probably Mariner and Oasis at least). I doubt the CDC will allow full capacity and sailing without stringent restrictions. They probably are going to pick up new crew when they drop of the old.

I just checked the passenger capacity of those Carnival ships. Vista class are the largest, with max passenger capacity just under 5,000 at full occupancy. That's a good 1,700 passengers less than Oasis class max passenger capacity; they're really closer to Quantum class than Oasis. Makes me wonder if, assuming Royal is in fact going to have one or more O class ships sailing, if they might have to restrict passenger count in some way to be in line with whatever safety protocols and other restrictions Carnival already worked out with the CDC. Can't imagine one line getting "better" / more favorable rules than another (even if that line that rhymes with Farnival is really to blame for the vast majority of outbreaks and other issues).

One of my friends was scheduled to sail from Mobile aboard Carnival Fantasy later this month. That cruise, of course, was cancelled. She and her family managed to get re-booked for August -- including being moved into a suite and getting a nice bit of OBC...and now she's lost that one, too. ?

Man, this is all crummy regardless of what line you're sailing. I know the lines are doing what they think is best, but it's still disheartening. ☹️

31 minutes ago, Kcusack89 said:

Let's cross our fingers that royal sails out of fort Lauderdale...fort Lauderdale has less cases then Miami so I'm still hopeful for my October cruise out of fort Lauderdale

Fort Lauderdale handles Oasis class ships just as well as Miami, you just don't get the fancy new terminal building. ? I'm sure if they need to re-home a particular ship, that will be the least of their difficulties.

1 minute ago, JLMoran said:

Fort Lauderdale handles Oasis class ships just as well as Miami, you just don't get the fancy new terminal building. ? I'm sure if they need to re-home a particular ship, that will be the least of their difficulties.

Port Canaveral has Oasis class too. That port is an hour outside of Orlando and not densely populated. (And 2 hours from my house!) 

1 hour ago, Kcusack89 said:

Let's cross our fingers that royal sails out of fort Lauderdale...fort Lauderdale has less cases then Miami so I'm still hopeful for my October cruise out of fort Lauderdale

I have no doubt if ships leave from Miami and Port Canaveral they will also leave from Ft. Lauderdale.. Remember Celebrities new fancy terminal for Edge and Apex is in Ft. Lauderdale

50 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

What do you think they are gonna do with the Oasis?  I don't think the New York ports will be open before the South Florida ports!

I think once they get the sick crew members off they need to give it a huge deep clean.. Then It will come back to South Florida in November as planned.. I don't like to upset people but I don't think Oasis will sail out of NJ this year. I really do believe its going to be Florida and Galveston until next year.. I think they are just too strict in NY and NJ.. 

I am confused at how this will even be possible. I know Trump has been saying all sorts of amazing things but does everyone honestly expect there to be no new cases by August 1. The numbers have stabilised but not really dropping. How can there be a guarantee that no one will be carrying the virus by then.