People With Unpopular Opinons?

I just told some close friends and relatives of mine about my excitement of going on my first cruise ever in Jan, 2020 on Symphony of the Seas.

Their response was rather unexpected to what I was use to hearing or hoped for, to be honest disappointed in their lack of perspective/paranoia 

Key points from their response was:

"Good luck getting sick from either the people, food, or motion of the seas"

"Lots of ship stranded in the middle of the ocean recently"

"be careful I heard people go missing without a trace"

"risk of being a victim of a crime or being sick is extremely high nowadays"

"stuck in a storm with 75mph+ winds, ordered to stay in cabin"

Of course my rebuttal was saying these are less that slim odds if you apply common sense and keep hygienic standards.

If you let paranoia rule your thoughts of any vacation regardless of land or sea, you'll never really enjoy life.

Then I reminded them of the higher odds of driving a car everyday.

Any thoughts or opinions on people who see things like this and how not to let them bog down you're impending vacations?

You should share with them Matt's podcast #284 - Reasons people avoid going on a cruise (and why they are wrong)    :14_relaxed:

I'm assuming people who say things like that have never been on a cruise themselves (like my brother in law!).  Don't let them get to you and have a fabulous first cruise and many more to you!

Different people have opinions about everything, thats whats great ,we are allowed to have opinions.  Personally I have opinions about certain types of travel, hotel brands, specific places in the world etc.  The great thing is they are just that, my opinions and other people can have their own and we should all be able to get along happily ever after. :)

If they mention getting sick from the food... ask them where they last went out to eat at. (then look at them with a very judgmental look)

If the mention getting stranded... tell them, you would much rather get stranded on a luxury cruise ship than stuck on the Tarmac of an airport. 

If they mention people missing... tell them happens everyday on the city streets. Rarely on cruises. 

If they mention crime and sickness... same as walking into a Walmart. 

Stuck in a storm.... Cruise ships will avoid storms... they have something called navigation. lol

Finally... ask them how many cruises they have been on. Then stare at them in judgement again. :-)

2 minutes ago, lindal said:

I'm assuming people who say things like that have never been on a cruise themselves (like my brother in law!).

Yes, certainly they have never cruised, are ignorant to cruising, and will probably never be talked into cruising.  They are just plain wrong and you know it.  So let them have their opinions and have fun with it.

Lead by example if they are friends and family.  Keep letting them know how much fun you had on your cruises and just maybe you will turn them!

1 minute ago, vanelli56 said:

Stuck in a storm.... Cruise ships will avoid storms... they have something called navigation. lol

IF they can avoid storms they will but i can tell you first hand thats not always the case and sometimes it is scary  being in the middle of a terrible storm.   

I have video where i was on the pool deck at the SQUEEZE bar when almost instantly the entire deck had 6 inches of water and every deck chair was being blown around and floating around on it because the pools had spilled over so badly from the leaning of the ship in horrible seas.

16 minutes ago, TJ! said:

Good luck getting sick from either the people, food, or motion of the seas"

Really?  You can get sick anywhere.  And motion?  Ask them if they know how big some of these ships are nowadays.  But of course they don't because they won't give it a try.

17 minutes ago, TJ! said:

Lots of ship stranded in the middle of the ocean recently"

Lots of car, trains, plane etc. accidents recently too.

18 minutes ago, TJ! said:

be careful I heard people go missing without a trace"

Often that is due to judgement, the ship/Royal does not "make them" go missing.

18 minutes ago, TJ! said:

risk of being a victim of a crime or being sick is extremely high nowadays

Yup.  Every time you step out of your house.

19 minutes ago, TJ! said:

stuck in a storm with 75mph+ winds, ordered to stay in cabin"

Tell them Royal has a full time meteorologist who is really good at his job.

That's what I would say. ?  Some people love being negative.  Don't worry about them.  You have chosen a fantastic ship to start cruising on.  Go and enjoy it to the fullest!

35 minutes ago, TJ! said:

Any thoughts or opinions on people who see things like this and how not to let them bog down you're impending vacations?

In my old age I have learned a few things. One of them is that there are always going to be negative people who don't have a good / nice thing to say about anything or anyone.

They always complain, always find something "wrong" with stuff, and are the first to focus on the negative.

They don't bog me down because I ignore them.

I don't need that kind of negativity in my life.

fc88e603005fb1c4487006166dd90c9e.jpg

I for one have stopped trying to promote the cruise industry and agree wholeheartedly with everything they said.

The last thing I need is more people to book cruises (driving up the cost for me).  

It's terrible out there folks.  The sea was 90' yesterday (away from the Promenade deck).  I hear that 99% of all cruise ships got stranded (away from a boring existence) yesterday.  Everyone on board is sick (of being on land).  I went missing (and none of my clients know I'm on a ship).  There were 75 mph winds (for anyone driving on the interstate with their hands out the window in Florida). 

Yep, it's not a life for the faint of heart.  Avoid cruising (so I can book cheaper cruises).

If they don't want to go, please don't try to correct them.  

Friend states in his defense he took 2 cruises with Carnival for a weekend mexico sail.

My relatives have never sailed so far so it makes sense where they're coming with all this nonsense.

Media sure demonizes the cruise industry for the small % of things that do occur and blast it in the spotlight for years if not decades.

Just now, WhiteSoxFan said:

Surprising, a bunch of preconceived opinions with little basis in fact.  Did you ask them if they'd like to join you?

Hell no!

Definitely don't need people like that constantly droning about sickness, death, and incidents from the news media.

They don't know what they're missing out on!

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink"

Just now, Rob&Ana said:

I guess that's their way of justifying not taking a cruise....

You will be able to give them first hand info when you get back!

Enjoy your cruise!

I'll be shoving photos and videos full of adventure and smiles in their faces

Perhaps a powerpoint presentation or chromecasting my fun on the TV.

Thanks but I still have 130+ days left to go ?

2 hours ago, TJ! said:

I just told some close friends and relatives of mine about my excitement of going on my first cruise ever in Jan, 2020 on Symphony of the Seas.

Their response was rather unexpected to what I was use to hearing or hoped for, to be honest disappointed in their lack of perspective/paranoia 

Key points from their response was:

"Good luck getting sick from either the people, food, or motion of the seas"

"Lots of ship stranded in the middle of the ocean recently"

"be careful I heard people go missing without a trace"

"risk of being a victim of a crime or being sick is extremely high nowadays"

"stuck in a storm with 75mph+ winds, ordered to stay in cabin"

Of course my rebuttal was saying these are less that slim odds if you apply common sense and keep hygienic standards.

If you let paranoia rule your thoughts of any vacation regardless of land or sea, you'll never really enjoy life.

Then I reminded them of the higher odds of driving a car everyday.

My first response is:

"Cite the case"

Those examples are either myths (where the case can not be cited) or a single event (where your "higher odds" thought is 100% right).

After your trip, make sure you bring lots of pictures back showing how you had a blast. In the end ...

Don't ask for security, ask for adventure.

Have a blast.

Curt from Canada

I don't think these negative nancys are really trying to rain on our parades.  I think they might just be THAT uncreative when it comes to vacations that they have to rattle off 8 unrelated reasons why they don't cruise.  It's a big cover to hide the fact that they're too scared to undertake the booking process (or whatever) and try it out. 

whatever; less lines at the Windjammer for me!

It is truly strange how many people have no clue what cruising is like... and when they try it, most of them are hooked!

I tell them imagine that your all-inclusive resort travels with you from exotic port to port. At least a ship can navigate around/avoid storms and change an itinerary if necessary. If you are at a land resort and you get hit with bad weather you're out of luck and you're not going anywhere.

What is the stat? Something like 20-30 million people cruise each year? Yes, something could happen, but what are the odds? 

Reduce those odds significantly and stay away from Carnival... LOL! Had to get that in!  ?

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I for one have stopped trying to promote the cruise industry and agree wholeheartedly with everything they said.

The last thing I need is more people to book cruises (driving up the cost for me).  

It's terrible out there folks.  The sea was 90' yesterday (away from the Promenade deck).  I hear that 99% of all cruise ships got stranded (away from a boring existence) yesterday.  Everyone on board is sick (of being on land).  I went missing (and none of my clients know I'm on a ship).  There were 75 mph winds (for anyone driving on the interstate with their hands out the window in Florida). 

Yep, it's not a life for the faint of heart.  Avoid cruising (so I can book cheaper cruises).

If they don't want to go, please don't try to correct them.  

I’m with ??cruising is dangerous and not for faint of heart!!!! ? 

6 minutes ago, PurdueFlyer said:

I don't think these negative nancys are really trying to rain on our parades.  I think they might just be THAT uncreative when it comes to vacations that they have to rattle off 8 unrelated reasons why they don't cruise.  It's a big cover to hide the fact that they're too scared to undertake the booking process (or whatever) and try it out. 

whatever; less lines at the Windjammer for me!

I've never cruise before either my very first one is on Jan, 2020 but I've never had any negative thoughts crossed my mind prior to booking.

I always day dreamed about it years ago in my office. haha

Now I finally have some time to take a vacation and a leap into adventure & fun!

2 minutes ago, JohnK6404 said:

It is truly strange how many people have no clue what cruising is like... and when they try it, most of them are hooked!

I tell them imagine that your all-inclusive resort travels with you from exotic port to port. At least a ship can navigate around/avoid storms and change an itinerary if necessary. If you are at a land resort and you get hit with bad weather you're out of luck and you're not going anywhere.

What is the stat? Something like 20-30 million people cruise each year? Yes, something could happen, but what are the odds? 

Reduce those odds significantly and stay away from Carnival... LOL! Had to get that in!  ?

#loyaltoroyal hahaha

Everyone has their own style of vacation that they enjoy and that's usually where I steer the conversation.

An analogy, I love attending NFL games, full day, tailgating, etc.  I had a friend who loved concerts, Grateful Dead style.  I would take him to a game and he would take me to a concert.  We were both respectively bored.  We finally agreed to do our own thing, remained great friends.

1 hour ago, bhageerah said:

I say let them be closed minded, that a few less people that I have to stand in line behind at embarkation, the Windjammer, and Bingo!  I say don't sweat it, let them listen to Matt's recent podcast, and while you onboard book another vacation!!

now all i need is some more money ?

FAKE NEWS  I MEAN FALSE COMMENTS. None of those facts are even close to the truth.  Those comments are such a joke. Almost as bad as the people who write bad reviews on various sites.  Those come from very unhappy people and will do anything or say or write anything just to see their name in print.  We totally dismiss those types of reviews all the time.  Cruising is the only way to go.  

Ships are dangerous......so are airplanes, trains, automobiles, movie theaters, malls, Walmart, schools, concerts, night clubs, riding a bike, riding a motorcycle, scuba diving, foul balls at baseball games, swimming, hurricanes, tornadoes, mud slides, forest fires, ice storms, earthquakes, getting too close to wildlife, boating, guns, poor diets, obesity, smoking, alcohol, second hand smoke, vaping ......

I guess I'll just assume a fetal position in my basement and hope for the best.

12 hours ago, Ditchdoc said:

Ships are dangerous......so are airplanes, trains, automobiles, movie theaters, malls, Walmart, schools, concerts, night clubs, riding a bike, riding a motorcycle, scuba diving, foul balls at baseball games, swimming, hurricanes, tornadoes, mud slides, forest fires, ice storms, earthquakes, getting too close to wildlife, boating, guns, poor diets, obesity, smoking, alcohol, second hand smoke, vaping ......

I guess I'll just assume a fetal position in my basement and hope for the best.

you forgot just randomly dying out of the blue lol

10 hours ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

The ones bashing cruising probably do not even travel at all.  When I was in university, I was surprised to meet so many people who have never left their home province/state in their lives! 

It's true!!! 80% or so of the people I know has never left their state!