Jump to content

Recommended Posts

We recently took our first Royal Caribbean cruise, a transatlantic out of Galveston and were dumbfounded by the dogs on board.  One was obviously a service dog and belonged there but the other three or four yappy little dogs weren't service dogs.  Horrified that one "gentleman" held on to the little yappy thing as he went through the buffet for breakfast.  Disgusting!   We made sure that we had a very early breakfast after that.  Know you all will say it was an emotional support dog but I think it was a case of "we can't leave poor yappy home".  Haven't seen this on Princess (yet) and probably will never see it on Seabourn.  This was probably our first and last cruise with RC.  Is this standard operating procedure for this line?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cleocat said:

We recently took our first Royal Caribbean cruise, a transatlantic out of Galveston and were dumbfounded by the dogs on board.  One was obviously a service dog and belonged there but the other three or four yappy little dogs weren't service dogs.  Horrified that one "gentleman" held on to the little yappy thing as he went through the buffet for breakfast.  Disgusting!   We made sure that we had a very early breakfast after that.  Know you all will say it was an emotional support dog but I think it was a case of "we can't leave poor yappy home".  Haven't seen this on Princess (yet) and probably will never see it on Seabourn.  This was probably our first and last cruise with RC.  Is this standard operating procedure for this line?

I do not think I've ever seen a service dog to date (only two cruises though).  I do not blame you for being horrified to see the dog being held while the owner was utilizing the buffet to get food.  I would think that this isn't standard protocol but not entirely sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cleocat said:

We recently took our first Royal Caribbean cruise, a transatlantic out of Galveston and were dumbfounded by the dogs on board.  One was obviously a service dog and belonged there but the other three or four yappy little dogs weren't service dogs.  Horrified that one "gentleman" held on to the little yappy thing as he went through the buffet for breakfast.  Disgusting!   We made sure that we had a very early breakfast after that.  Know you all will say it was an emotional support dog but I think it was a case of "we can't leave poor yappy home".  Haven't seen this on Princess (yet) and probably will never see it on Seabourn.  This was probably our first and last cruise with RC.  Is this standard operating procedure for this line?

Actually, the policy was recently changed to that ONLY service dogs would be permitted.  Not the Emotional Support ones.  My guess is that too many people were taking advantage of it that really didn't qualify.  As for the ones that you saw, my theory would be that those folks were grandfathered in based upon when they booked vs. when the policy took effect.  I know others, like @twangster, can shed more light on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Actually, the policy was recently changed to that ONLY service dogs would be permitted.  Not the Emotional Support ones.  My guess is that too many people were taking advantage of it that really didn't qualify.  As for the ones that you saw, my theory would be that those folks were grandfathered in based upon when they booked vs. when the policy took effect.  I know others, like @twangster, can shed more light on this.

This is my understanding as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a situation that's occurring more and more in society.  Part of the challenge for any company is that they have limited ability to challenge a guest's assertion they have a disability that requires a service animal.  No company on land or at sea can require anyone to prove a disability.  I could sit in a wheel chair and make all sorts of claims about a disability and no store, or theater, or amusement park or cruise line can legally challenge me.

As many people note when flying that an airplane can solve many disabilities.  Some people claim the need for assistance to board and/or priority boarding for their ailment then miraculously by the end of the flight they can jump up and walk off the plane like a fully abled body person can.  The miracle of flight.  This is what our society has come to.  

Airlines and cruise lines have noted the abuse of the service animal policy and are trying to deal with it as best they can but people will go to great lengths to fake a need.  It is really unfortunate because there are truly valid needs that are being impacted by the fakers.

Princess has them too.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Navigator in December some very nice people had a service dog with a vest but the issue is they took turns with who had the dog.  If it is truly a service dog it should be with the owner at all times.  And if I had seen a dog being held in line at the buffet I would have complained very loudly to staff.  That is gross.  Put yappy on the floor when you get your food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People bring their dogs everywhere now.  Just was at Lowes and a family had their poor hot poodle in the shopping cart.  He couldn't get comfortable sitting in the front of the cart, his paws were too small.  My husband was getting pissed, it was very hot and you could tell the puppy was hurting. 

I've even seen someone take their dog into a movie theater??!! 

On the Harmony in May there was a guy with a little poodle, carried him around everywhere.  I have two dogs, I love dogs, but what is a poor dog suppose to do on a cruise ship?  My fur babies would be miserable stuck like that.

If you can't vacation without them go places that are pet friendly, I don't think a cruise ship is it.

Totally my take on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BTE said:

In my opinion unless it's truly a service dog it shouldn't be allowed around food at all

Knowing what I know, a true service dog would not have been held and would have been walking along the floor.  Most service dogs are not held and are usually walked.  And I have to agree,  I really do not care if it was a service dog, it should not have been around the food.  I am a dog lover and am actually working to get my dog to therapy dog level and hate to see when people abuse the privilege that they have.  Makes everyone else suspicious of those that truly need it for their disability.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took a cruise on Princess.  There were a lot of elderly passengers with lap dogs. I do hope they chance the policy to strictly service animals. It was rough watching a dog in a passengers lap at dinner.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one wondering where they do their business? Is there some type of extra cleaning fee like hotels charge or are the low paid stewards responsible to just clean up after them like normal? And my dog isn't a fan of cars never mind a ship. Most dogs don't like boats either so I wonder how they take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been on a few ships that actually have a small pad of "grass" that is off the beaten path for the owners of service animals to take them to relieve themselves.  The owner is responsible for cleaning up after their pet in that area.  I am not sure what the deal would be if the dog used the restroom in the room or other public area.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, LetsTryThisPlace said:

Am I the only one wondering where they do their business? Is there some type of extra cleaning fee like hotels charge or are the low paid stewards responsible to just clean up after them like normal? And my dog isn't a fan of cars never mind a ship. Most dogs don't like boats either so I wonder how they take it.

I saw a little patch of fake grass along the walking track. I love my dog but would never want to bring her on a cruise. 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband is legally blind because one eye is a prosthetic, but still can see well enough to drive, etc. So agreed, disabilities are not always apparent. That said, IMO, I think these folks were taking advantage of the service dog policy. I would have also complained to the kitchen staff about the dog being held near food. Regardless if the dog was not "doing it's business", it could have been shedding, etc.

My guess is that the owners use pee-pee pads for their dog. And in that case, I feel sorry for the cabin steward finding that in the room's garbage...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LetsTryThisPlace said:

Am I the only one wondering where they do their business? Is there some type of extra cleaning fee like hotels charge or are the low paid stewards responsible to just clean up after them like normal? And my dog isn't a fan of cars never mind a ship. Most dogs don't like boats either so I wonder how they take it.

I saw places on Harmony and Anthem. Harmony was somewhere on the running track, can't remember where Anthem's was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2019 at 10:41 PM, Skid said:

Or worse if you're in flip flops. This warrants yet another request to @Matt for an "eeew" reaction. 😏

Skid, let me...  EEEeeeeeewww!

I been on quite a few cruises and haven't really seen some of the problems written about here.  I love dogs (and cats).  I have two Malamutes and a Siberian.  I would NEVER want to bring them on a cruise.  What are people thinking?  I guess that is the problem - they aren't.  In the case of non-service dogs, it seems like a rather selfish act to me at the expense of the poor pup.  Sorry, but there should be absolutely NO reason for any animal (other than a trained service animal) to be in ANY dining room.  Also, if the dog isn't working as a guide or in another physical support capacity then the dog should not even be on the ship!

With that said, I have taken Kuka (my profile pic) to Captain's Bounty in Rockport MA - right on the beach.  It was a memorable vacation for us and her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gorgeous dog, I love the Malamutes and Siberians (we used to have a Siberian when we lived in Canada) 

I have another question though. The legal requirements by the landing countries. What happens when there is some restriction, for example here in Cayman Islands we have VERY strict laws especially for rabies as we are a rabies free zone. How would some countries handle this if they knew about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LetsTryThisPlace said:

Gorgeous dog, I love the Malamutes and Siberians (we used to have a Siberian when we lived in Canada) 

I have another question though. The legal requirements by the landing countries. What happens when there is some restriction, for example here in Cayman Islands we have VERY strict laws especially for rabies as we are a rabies free zone. How would some countries handle this if they knew about it?

This is a very good point.  I would think all certified service dogs that travel must have an international health certificate.  See this link:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/pet-travel-info-and-guidance-document/steps-to-obtain-intl-health-certificate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, YOLO said:

With that said, I have taken Kuka (my profile pic) to Captain's Bounty in Rockport MA - right on the beach.  It was a memorable vacation for us and her.

And Captains Bounty is stated as pet friendly, so no issue there. I agree with @ellcee and everyone else--your dog is magnificent! Also love your area. Have family in MA. When he was young I used to take them to Fenway (my favorite park when I used to care about baseball) to see the Red Sox. I was never a Yankee fan, but driving to Fenway with, at that time, NY plates on the car was never fun! Couldn't convince people that I was on their side. Had to get a Sox cap to wear in the car,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

She has such an expressive face. She looks so sweet.  I lost my Goldie almost 10 years ago and I still miss her every day.

Funny you should say that.  We fell in love with the very fist picture (below) we saw of her.  She seemed shy and sweet.  Exactly the personality she had throughout her entire life.  What breed of dog was Goldie?  It's great you remember her (?) after that much time.

image.png.797721bcaeb8210459a5ef18f46ade92.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...