princevaliantus

Diamond PLUS Status Secrets !!

Many have wondered how long does it take to reach Diamond PLUS status. When asked, I reply that there are many factors to take into consideration to reach this status. With that in mind, how long has it taken you to reach Diamond PLUS status and what & how did you do it? Feel free to share your techniques and experiences.

18 cruises over 14 years. Some of which were in JS to get the double. We actually booked a 5 night in a JS to get us to exactly 175 in preparation for our B2B two months later.

But...I also think we made out quite well when they switched the points system from one point per cruise to one point per night. We ended up with more C&A points than nights we had cruised when the switch was done.

First cruise with Royal was May 2010. First Diamond Plus cruise was December 2016, 16th cruise with Royal. One thing that did help was accidentally getting credited twice for one cruise.

How was it done, combination of solo and suite sailings. Six sailings were either solo or in a suite.

Just now, Susie said:

Thanks, will take me a while to get to Diamond+. 

I can tell you that since you're at Diamond, I wouldn't be that concerned with moving up. D+ is nice, but honestly once you hit Diamond, you reap the lion's share of C&A benefits.

Just now, Matt said:

I can tell you that since you're at Diamond, I wouldn't be that concerned with moving up. D+ is nice, but honestly once you hit Diamond, you reap the lion's share of C&A benefits.

It is so true. Get free drinks every night. 

Biggest difference was D+ used to get concierge club access with Pinnacles. Newer boats have gone to the suite lounge and limited non suite entry to Pinnacle. Do yes, minimal difference in reward for a significant difference (95 points) in cruising loyalty.

The D+ also used to get priority seating in the theaters but they have now taken that perk away in many cases as well.  With The Key program my guess is that the D+ are going to be SOL for priority seating from now on.

Denial of entrance into the Suites lounge and lack of priority seating in the theaters are the 2 primary reasons we cruise exclusively in suites these days.

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The D+ also used to get priority seating in the theaters but they have now taken that perk away in many cases as well.  With The Key program my guess is that the D+ are going to be SOL for priority seating from now on.

Denial of entrance into the Suites lounge and lack of priority seating in the theaters are the 2 primary reasons we cruise exclusively in suites these days.

If I remember correctly, D+ and above used to have the option of breakfast in Chops. We used to comment on that, but haven't seen that in a while unless they still do it on the smaller ships. 

16 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Wow!! Seems as Diamond + is turning into a Cubic Zirconia !!  😎

20 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

The D+ also used to get priority seating in the theaters but they have now taken that perk away in many cases as well. 

It was still present on Symphony in AquaTheater. That was a really nice perk because we got some great seats.

DSC_0065_4.jpg

8 minutes ago, Matt said:
35 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

It was still present on Symphony in AquaTheater. That was a really nice perk because we got some great seats.

😜 I thought you are Pinnacle by now from all those cruises you took.

46 minutes ago, Gears said:

If I remember correctly, D+ and above used to have the option of breakfast in Chops. We used to comment on that, but haven't seen that in a while unless they still do it on the smaller ships. 

I had forgotten that....but I think you're right.  Nowadays it is gold card only.

I became Diamond Plus by marrying someone who was Diamond and then we cruised 2-3 times per year for a few years.  😉

We have some young kids 2 and 4.  And the concierge lounge used to allow kids where Diamon lounge didn’t, which was an advantage. But now the DL also allows kids.  Don’t worry. If we go there, we bring iPads and headphones to keep them entertained and quiet as to not bother other peoples’ experiences

On 1/26/2019 at 9:33 AM, Gears said:

18 cruises over 14 years. Some of which were in JS to get the double. We actually booked a 5 night in a JS to get us to exactly 175 in preparation for our B2B two months later.

But...I also think we made out quite well when they switched the points system from one point per cruise to one point per night. We ended up with more C&A points than nights we had cruised when the switch was done.

It took us 18 cruises also to achieve the Diamond Plus status and some were in JS for the double points. Now we are recently retired hope to add many more points starting with 6 B2B's in an attempt to get out of the snow and ice this winter.

On 1/28/2019 at 12:52 PM, Matt said:

DSC_0065_4.jpg

When was that picture taken?  We were just on Symphony in a suite for the 9/14-21/19 cruise and sat right next to that sign, except on our cruise, that sign said “Suites, Pinnacle Club, The Key”.

Back to the discussions from January, we're Diamond and will be a stone's throw from Diamond Plus at the end of 2020, based on our current bookings.  I had to look it up after mentioning in another comment earlier that I didn't know exactly how many points I had, LOL.  So doing the math we'll be pretty close.  

So wondering if it's still not really worth trying to reach the D+.  If it doesn't get me anything different than what I'm currently getting anymore, then why bother?  I was thinking just to reach the status before benefits or levels are changed again would be good, just to get grandfathered in to whatever happens. There's been so much chatter about the ever-growing numbers of Diamond folks that they're starting to worry about being pushed out of Diamond lounges and other places.  

We've done so many cruises now that all bookings 2020 and out will be for a specific reason - the ship, ports we have not been to, groups.  We're getting tired of visiting the same places over and over, we've been on every class of ship, hit most of the Caribbean islands, we're looking to spread out a bit.  But since we're so close to D+ maybe we'll hit that first, to lock in our status, just in case.

Opinions welcome!

The differences between Diamond and D+ are pretty minimal.  It took me 6 cruises to hit Diamond (lots of solo in suites even when traveling together with friends).

What I'm really looking forward to between D+ and Pinnacle (at 340 points) is seeing the single-supplement drop from 200% to 150%.  That's a genuine, tangible benefit I'll get a lot of value out of.

3 minutes ago, KathyC said:

Back to the discussions from January, we're Diamond and will be a stone's throw from Diamond Plus at the end of 2020, based on our current bookings.  I had to look it up after mentioning in another comment earlier that I didn't know exactly how many points I had, LOL.  So doing the math we'll be pretty close.  

So wondering if it's still not really worth trying to reach the D+.  If it doesn't get my anything different than what I'm currently getting anymore, then why bother?  I was thinking just to reach the status before benefits or levels are changed again would be good, just to get grandfathered in to whatever happens. There's been so much chatter about the ever-growing numbers of Diamond folks that they're starting to worry about being pushed out of Diamond lounges and other places.  

We've done so many cruises now that all bookings 2020 and out will be for a specific reason - the ship, ports we have not been to, groups.  We're getting tired of visiting the same places over and over, we've been on every class of ship, hit most of the Caribbean islands, we're looking to spread out a bit.  But since we're so close to D+ maybe we'll hit that first, to lock in our status, just in case.

Opinions welcome!

I wouldn't chase status, cruise to enjoy each cruise.

The notable exception is the 340 reduced single supplement for solo cruisers.  That has real cost savings IF you cruise solo.  For me that has unlocked access to affordable bucket list type cruises which is exactly why I chased hitting the 340 mark, but I do a lot of solo cruising. 

In many ways Diamond Plus benefits are being scaled back to be a very small incremental over Diamond.  With more ships losing the Concierge Lounges or denied access to the Concierge Lounges when there are high numbers of C&A on board this benefit is becoming harder and harder to enjoy and you don't get anything unique in the CL, it's just another version of the Diamond Lounge with different occupants.  

An extra day of free internet only has value if you tend to buy Voom.  The 30% off the Deluxe beverage package only has meaning if you tend to buy the beverage package and sometimes you can get 30% pre-cruise.  The free bag of laundry is nice and has value for me.  Being a cruise nerd the additional behind the scenes tours were great but once you've seen the bridge on a ship do you need to see it again for every return visit?  Maybe yes, maybe no.  Later reaching the level to get Meal with an Officer is still enjoyable for me because I am a cruise nerd who likes to learn unique details through this interaction.  

Crown and Anchor Society is very successful and while there is rumor and speculation of changing levels and thresholds they are are from unsubstantiated sources.  The program is working quite nicely so why would they mess with it?  They will continue to fine tune benefits for each level but changing points required for each level is very dangerous.  If they do ever merge the loyalty programs across the brands there could be some changes but who knows how that would work out, it's not worth speculating or taking action on a theoretical change that might never occur.  

Just an observation....we are on Grandeur now (5 night Bermuda) and I noticed that our list of D+ bennies does not include the complimentary wash & fold laundry.  It shows a $10 discount on W & F on cruises of 8 nights or more, but not the free one which we have always gotten (even on 5 night cruises). We will still put our bag out and see what happens.  It’s kinda shiesterish for them to intentionally leave that benefit off the list, IMO.