Diamond PLUS Status Secrets !!

People are no more loyal to Royal than Royal is to them. I laugh because people make these threats about switching lines because they're not getting what they are entitled  to. Apparently,  they haven't been on other cruise lines because other cruise lines' perks are minimal. You should always choose whoever gives you the most value and that can certainly change. All I know is I am always hearing people that receive the most perks complain the most. That is why Pinnacles have received such a bad reputation.

honestly, i go where i think i will have the most fun, and on a cruise set up through another company (Board Game Geek) i will have the most fun with my husband! we are going on our second BGG@sea, which is again on royal, but i have sailed carnival and NCL as well. I look at price, value, and excursions when making the decision. game time is always a plus!! anyway.. i dont think i will ever cruise enough to get the perks anywhere but we do it for the fun. Mediterranean cruise 2021!! 

On 2/19/2020 at 10:00 AM, CruiseGus said:

As it should be, suites pay 2-3 time what other passengers pay per person. (when the additional cost falls below 2x balcony I seriously consider it)  It is no different than when booking a suite motel room, or first class airfare rather than economy.

Depending on which cruise line you book suite passage on some line don't necessarily reap huge benefits other than a bigger room

Not always true.  We don't always cruise in a suite but do cruise a lot so we are spending money with Royal even if not in a suite.  Also, Hilton rewards me for being loyal and I get lots of free rooms there.  Rewarding those who travel with you often is a great way to make more money.

19 hours ago, Hoski said:

Not always true.  We don't always cruise in a suite but do cruise a lot so we are spending money with Royal even if not in a suite.  Also, Hilton rewards me for being loyal and I get lots of free rooms there.  Rewarding those who travel with you often is a great way to make more money.

Although I'm a Marriott and IHG guy, I have no doubt the points accumulated to those free rooms are based on how much you spend per night on your paid rooms.

I had over 500 lifetime nights with Marriott before I realized that to obtain "Lifetime" status i also need a couple of million in spend dollars.  Started staying in the better hotels, up the the rate the company would reimburse, and then also paying with a Marriot card to receive the 5X point on spend.  Luckily i made the highest lifetime status before the program changed.

I am not saying that loyal cruisers should not get some perks, but those paying the heavy fare should have their perks also.  In my mind though the heavy fare cruisers should always win in a tie type situation.  JMHO - enjoy those free rooms I do!

@Hoski But its not the best way to make money. If you take 8 cruises a year in an OV/OVB/JRS versus a person who take 1 or 2 cruses in Star Loft...RCC is making more money on the Star loft. As a C&A member, depending on your level, you are paying much less than a suite guest. That can be $15-20 thousand oppose to $30-40 thousand. Therefore, suite guest who are paying for these perks should get first dibs. Also they haven't taken anything really away, just made it a little less accessible on certain classes of ships.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/26/2019 at 7:25 AM, princevaliantus said:

Many have wondered how long does it take to reach Diamond PLUS status. When asked, I reply that there are many factors to take into consideration to reach this status. With that in mind, how long has it taken you to reach Diamond PLUS status and what & how did you do it? Feel free to share your techniques and experiences.

In the past two years we have been on 6 cruises.  Of those, we were denied access to the concierge lounge on 4 of them.  That means a DP is more often NOT to access the CL.  The stated reasson "too many DPon this cruise".  That cured my desire to cruise with Royal.