Since when are pyjamas ok?

NoToThePjs

• NoToThePjs changed the title to Since when are pyjamas ok?

When I first started seeing adult women walk around in fuzzy slippers I thought well their feet must hurt from the high heels the night before.  Nope, it has continued to slide down and I'm surprised that I haven't seen bathing suits in MDR because they allow shorts and ball caps to be worn.  People in general used to look like they took a little effort for the day instead of cruising in pj's and fuzzy slippers.

Doesn't say if it was male or female PJ's 

My concern is that it was an elderly male wearing those pj's from years back! The ones that had that had the overlapping flap in the front! 

Imagine his wife thinking she had dropped her chipolata sausage on his lap and her trying to get it with her fork 🤣

I’ve got to say that since my last cruise, just pre covid, the level of attire has plummeted. I dress smart for evenings, super smart for formal night. This cruise and my last saw pj’s on formal night. Won’t be long and the tuxedo onesie above will be the norm. I think it’s sad people have so little self respect, let alone respect for others. Maybe it’s because I’m English…

Well I am certainly guilty of wearing what I guess you would call sweat pants to the Windjammer, they are nice Adidas brand tracksuit type.  I know for certain I have worn them there for breakfast as my normal routine would be up at 6:30 for a walk on the track and then to breakfast.  I've been on some cooler cruises so I might have worn them to lunch also.  I do draw the line at Dinner though.  I usually am wearing a long sleeve button down maybe a tie and coat.  Times have changed though as there was a time that nobody would have worn a hat at the dinner table, and on a ship everyone would dress up.  I live in Florida and even nice restaurants you will see people in shorts.  I guess that is because of the 95 degrees and 80% humidity. I guess at 55 I am officially old and I just don't think its appropriate to come to dinner dressed that way.  I won't let it bother me though and I will enjoy my meals.  I did find one person odd on a cruise, he wore a baseball style hat every night to dinner, even when he was wearing a suit.  I was just more intrigued than anything else, then realized it was because he was going bald.  I guess he didn't want people to notice.

17 hours ago, NoToThePjs said:

Since when have pyjamas been acceptable attire in the dining room and theatre. Like I get we’re getting casual but let’s put sweat pants on at least 🤷‍♀️

Agree. Some folks don't dress appropriately. But the other comments show tolerance is important. You can tolerate others silently without approving the behavior. We all need to get along. But I'd bet that even those who don't judge notice what others are doing.

I think we are just in a different era of time. 50-60 years ago people got dressed up to go anywhere. Men wore suits outside of the home most of the time. 25 years ago most workplaces still had very strict dress codes. Now, a lot of successful entrepreneurs and/or CEO's under 40 wear only hoodies. Things change and that's just the way it is. 

I still dress up somewhat but not to stuffy. I care more about someone's attitude than what they are wearing. I'd rather be cruising with kind hearted, fun loving onsie pajama wearing folks than a bunch of suits treating staff and fellow cruisers like crap.

I agree that standards have changed. I personally won't police what someone wears unless nudity is involved. I do inwardly judge people for not having what I consider decency.

We were interviewing for a receptionist position, and I cannot tell you how many people came in crop tops, shorts, leggings and rip jeans. Two of the young people tried to argue with me about it saying they "aren't their clothes" and such things didn't matter. One was wearing a t-shirt that said, "eat the rich" and the other was wearing shorts that showed actual cheeks. 

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I do inwardly judge people for not having what I consider decency.

Oh I do this too, but not quite so inwardly. My wife partakes in the judging. In our cruise last week, there was this woman who was wearing a top in the Promenade that - and excuse the PG13 language - made her nipples clearly noticable.

Not that I'm a prurde, but RC is a family cruise line.

Edit for clarity - the tshirt was see-through enough that you could see everything.

Edited by JFCruise

15 minutes ago, JFCruise said:

Oh I do this too, but not quite so inwardly. My wife partakes in the judging. In our cruise last week, there was this woman who was wearing a top in the Promenade that - and excuse the PG13 language - made her nipples clearly noticable.

Edit for clarity - the tshirt was see-through enough that you could see everything.

I'm torn here, not appropriate but I'm not total against this. 🤣

54 minutes ago, JFCruise said:

I was on Nav last Sept and the things I saw. This one lady who was too ample for the strip of fabric that was her top. She kept pulling it up and eventually it gave up and I was so embarrassed for her 😱. I love a good people watch but nudity is where the line is crossed. I don't understand see-through and mesh unless bathing suits are worn under. 

4 hours ago, JFCruise said:

Would it have been acceptable if she was sitting down breastfeeding? 

26 minutes ago, JFCruise said:

Totally different situations.

Don't see how?

Men have nipples and its ok to show them! 

Breasts and nipples have never ever been sexual organs! In fact in time gone by it was normal for woman to be topless and still is in some countries! 

It's western mankind who has sexualiaed the female breast over time and changed it from a part of the body used to feed their children into a fantasy! 

Topless guy at pool is ok but not a woman! Why? 

Families take their children to parks or zoos and stop and watch excitedly while cows, sheep or any other animals feed their young yet same family may complain if a woman walked past revealling to much or if  woman was feeding her newborn at table next to them as its seen as unacceptable!

#FREETHENIPPLE

I understand the society I live in, but I'm with @Ray on this.  A woman's body, simply by existing, is not inappropriate.  The notion that my disgusting nipples are ok to be seen bare and it's inappropriate for my wife's to show even through a shirt strikes me as sexist.  But I understand the society I live in.

8 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I agree that standards have changed. I personally won't police what someone wears unless nudity is involved. I do inwardly judge people for not having what I consider decency.

We were interviewing for a receptionist position, and I cannot tell you how many people came in crop tops, shorts, leggings and rip jeans. Two of the young people tried to argue with me about it saying they "aren't their clothes" and such things didn't matter. One was wearing a t-shirt that said, "eat the rich" and the other was wearing shorts that showed actual cheeks. 

We have a guy at work nicknamed "Slippers", when I asked someone why, they explained that he came to his interview in a suit and slippers 😂