Royal Caribbean Blog

Alaska 2021 - Maybe a total loss?

20 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Listen..here in Atlantic Canada..I cant even go visit family in the neighboring province..not even if I want to quarantine for 14 days.....we are banned.....not a chance Canada is opening to cruise ships in 2021....we MAY see the border open for land crossings at some point with conditions I am assuming..but thats all I am hoping for this year and even that is a stretch it appears at this point.

Wow ... I don't think there are any state to state restrictions here.  New York didn't care for it originally when other states were going to ban people from New York.  When things got under control in New York,  I think Cuomo in his infinite wisdom was going to ban 30 or so states from coming to New York.  As far as I know, everyone ditched that idea.  

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feel like with news that the US will have so much vaccine in a few months time Canada should respond to the plead from Congress to open their ports with... We can open the ports... for ten mill

I got the vaccine yesterday and my husband is getting it Friday.  We have decided to go to a bucket list place.  Bora Bora and stay at the Four Seasons over water cabana.

Just a note to those who are L&S’ing their bookings...if you have a refundable deposit on your 2021 bookings and want to keep a refundable deposit for 2022, be SURE that you verify this fact befor

Posted Images

Yes..been that way here in Atlantic Canada since last March..they relaxed it slightly and they shut it all down with 1 person hospitalized .......pretty much.

2.4 million ppl...300 cases of covid and 1 person in the hospital and we are locked down tighter than fort knox....lol

Don't get me going on the government's plans to vaccinate criminals in jail before the rest of the population..that's another whole story....🙄

9 minutes ago, Dad2Cue said:

Wow ... I don't think there are any state to state restrictions here.  New York didn't care for it originally when other states were going to ban people from New York.  When things got under control in New York,  I think Cuomo in his infinite wisdom was going to ban 30 or so states from coming to New York.  As far as I know, everyone ditched that idea.  

NY has several travel restrictions and a form you're supposed to fill out. I believe (have not traveled outside of NY other than NJ) you're handed the form at the airport. Outside of that, I believe it's all voluntary with essential workers being exempt. 

https://forward.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory

I hate to say it but I truly don’t think that any cruises involving Canada will happen this year.

Our government anticipates that anyone who wants a vaccine will be able to get one by September 2021 (that is the target). Canada has been relatively cautious throughout this whole mess, some provinces even more so than others, I highly doubt they will allow any ships carrying various nationalities or borders to be open until things are stable. 

Hubby and I decided that if we cannot cruise this summer (which I am more sure of by the day will be the case), and we are vaccinated, then we are heading west to the mountains. It will be like a faux Alaska trip. Lol

3 hours ago, Dad2Cue said:

3 hours ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

NY has several travel restrictions and a form you're supposed to fill out. I believe (have not traveled outside of NY other than NJ) you're handed the form at the airport. Outside of that, I believe it's all voluntary with essential workers being exempt. 

https://forward.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory

I am assuming constitutional lawyers advised Cuomo he can't ban travel from other states.  I'm not even sure the 14 day quarantine would hold up in court if challenged.  Only Congress can limit interstate travel and commerce.  No state can ban another state.  They can talk about it all they want but if they ever tried to close borders to any other state they'd be on the wrong side of the US constitution.  

The quarantine rule is something I'd love to see play out in court.  It is based on a presumption of guilt, that an individual is a threat when they haven't been proven to be a risk to anyone.  

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

I am assuming constitutional lawyers advised Cuomo he can't ban travel from other states.  I'm not even sure the 14 day quarantine would hold up in court if challenged.  Only Congress can limit interstate travel and commerce.  No state can ban another state.  They can talk about it all they want but if they ever tried to close borders to any other state they'd be on the wrong side of the US constitution.  

The quarantine rule is something I'd love to see play out in court.  It is based on a presumption of guilt, that an individual is a threat when they haven't been proven to be a risk to anyone.  

Yep. Besides being handed the form at the airport (not sure if they are still doing that) there is no way for anyone to know you're visiting or you left and came back. "Must complete the form" but it's basically on the honor system, as is quarantining... And, still allows travel to & through NY state, as you mentioned. 

10 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Don't plan on any cruises that stop/start or have to port anywhere in Canada for 2021......we are a mess up here with cases and lack of vaccines/and or vaccination plans so when we are lagging behind the US for vaccinations per captia.....nothing is happening here in 2021 cruise wise!

How messed up is it in Canada?  It would be hard for me to believe it is more messed up than here in the US.  However, the US doesn't seem quite as bad as places in Europe (UK?).  Except for the politics of it all, it seems the US isn't doing that badly.  An election year made covid much worse.  Take note that Iowa is a rural state and we haven't had too many restrictions placed on us.  I expect to be vaccinated this spring ... June at the latest.   We have problems but they don't seem overwhelming.

I live in a town with a large university medical center with close to 1,000 beds.  The hospital basically emptied out in the beginning in anticipation of a huge influx of covid patients.  The hospital lost a lot of money while being empty and had to open back up.  I believe that the worst day was when 10% of the hospital beds were occupied with covid patients.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

They can talk about it all they want but if they ever tried to close borders to any other state they'd be on the wrong side of the US constitution.  

That constitution does have a way of getting in the way of all the power players.  Same goes for all the experts and their expert ideas.

1 hour ago, Dad2Cue said:

How messed up is it in Canada?  It would be hard for me to believe it is more messed up than here in the US. 

It’s not. But it’s not great either. We’re all just going to have to ride this thing out. 

Actually, the east is doing way better than the rest of Canada. 

2 hours ago, Dad2Cue said:

How messed up is it in Canada?  It would be hard for me to believe it is more messed up than here in the US.  However, the US doesn't seem quite as bad as places in Europe (UK?).  Except for the politics of it all, it seems the US isn't doing that badly.  An election year made covid much worse.  Take note that Iowa is a rural state and we haven't had too many restrictions placed on us.  I expect to be vaccinated this spring ... June at the latest.   We have problems but they don't seem overwhelming.

I live in a town with a large university medical center with close to 1,000 beds.  The hospital basically emptied out in the beginning in anticipation of a huge influx of covid patients.  The hospital lost a lot of money while being empty and had to open back up.  I believe that the worst day was when 10% of the hospital beds were occupied with covid patients.

I guess it's all relative to what you are used to. If 3000 deaths from covid a day is usual then when you get 2000 you are doing relatively well. Our state borders in Australia get closed when there is a couple of cases in a day because most states have been covid free for months and dont want even one case. Bonus for these states is that life is pretty much normal other than some social distancing measures.

I hope they can find a way to salvage the Alaska Season, but it isn't looking good. What is a good alternate Cruise to take closer to home (US/TX) that isn't the same ol' same ol' Cancun/Cozumel/Roatan?  I want to go new places and I don't think I can wait until Summer 2022 to go on a cruise vacation!

Past Cruises:

Norwegian Jewel 2012 Western Caribbean

Norwegian Epic 2017 Western Caribbean

Royal Caribbean 2019 Western Caribbean

Canceled Cruise:

Royal Caribbean Ovation 2020 Alaska Glacier

Future Cruises:

Royal Caribbean Ovation 2021 Alaska Glacier

Norwegian Encore 2022 Eastern Caribbean

1 hour ago, markinct said:

I'm so sorry to read this. I do hope you'll be able to see him soon! 

Thank you.  My wife’s brother is able to get there occasionally as he is able to do the long quarantines required on either end of the trip as well as meet the requirements once in country. The internet makes things better since video chatting is simple, however my wife and her sisters would just like to see their dad. 

In reference to cruising, we feel that based on the requirements for getting into Canada with a compassionate waiver, leisure travel is a long, long way off. 

7 hours ago, emmef said:

I hope they can find a way to salvage the Alaska Season, but it isn't looking good. What is a good alternate Cruise to take closer to home (US/TX) that isn't the same ol' same ol' Cancun/Cozumel/Roatan?  I want to go new places and I don't think I can wait until Summer 2022 to go on a cruise vacation!

Past Cruises:

Canceled Cruise:

Future Cruises:

I would plan on a land trip for summer 2021.

I wouldn't count on cruising for this summer and if there is cruising it may just be short cruises to Coco Cay.

11 hours ago, bretts173 said:

I guess it's all relative to what you are used to. If 3000 deaths from covid a day is usual then when you get 2000 you are doing relatively well. Our state borders in Australia get closed when there is a couple of cases in a day because most states have been covid free for months and dont want even one case. Bonus for these states is that life is pretty much normal other than some social distancing measures.

Not sure if life is "normal"...locked down for a year and social distancing still enforced.....but hey, to each their own. Not how I want to live my life ever.

Number of cases means nothing really..only thing that matters is  deaths and hospitalizations to a point(if it becomes overwhelming)......

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Not sure if life is "normal"...locked down for a year and social distancing still enforced.....but hey, to each their own. Not how I want to live my life ever.

Number of cases means nothing really..only thing that matters is  deaths and hospitalizations to a point(if it becomes overwhelming)......

Agreed number of cases is a poor stat to focus on, Florida has lots of cases but the majority are young, healthy and basically don't even notice they had it. Keeping the hospitals available for those that need to be taken care of is the key.

10 hours ago, emmef said:

Past Cruises:

Canceled Cruise:

Future Cruises:

I got the vaccine yesterday and my husband is getting it Friday.  We have decided to go to a bucket list place.  Bora Bora and stay at the Four Seasons over water cabana.

11 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Zero cases today in OZ, pretty sure that means something.

14 hours ago, bretts173 said:

Zero cases today in OZ, pretty sure that means something.

Viruses are never eradicated - they are just RNA strands that exist all over the place.  A population either is no longer susceptible or taken steps to isolate from infection.  Once isolation is broken, it will emerge again.   Populations evolve to fight these naturally (survival of the fitess) or accelerate spread the immunity process through vaccines.  The Spanish flu is still in the world.  Hasn't been eradicated, just we've adapted.

Lots of ppl have the flu..its part of life...always has been...only issue is when older ppl or vulnerable get it and get really sick..hospitalized or die.

Same for this.....if 4billion ppl have it..half of them are probably asymptomatic and dont know they have it...if the other half have it with symptoms but not serious enough to even go to the hospital..then no, it really doesn't matter.

The reason why the panic and worry is if ppl die or hospitals overflow......having a sore throat and a fever is nothing to shut down the world over.

I've been figuring my May Alaska cruise was gonna get canceled, but am not sure what I should do with my credit. I got a really cheap price so i'm thinking lift and shift to next year will be my best bet. So, I can basically move my May 24th cruise all the way to June 24th in 2022 on any itinerary that is basically the same for no extra cost right? I'd rather go on the cruise, but I like the idea of taking my cheap may cruise and moving it to late june instead. Am I thinking about this correctly?

7 minutes ago, JasonL said:

I've been figuring my May Alaska cruise was gonna get canceled, but am not sure what I should do with my credit. I got a really cheap price so i'm thinking lift and shift to next year will be my best bet. So, I can basically move my May 24th cruise all the way to June 24th in 2022 on any itinerary that is basically the same for no extra cost right? I'd rather go on the cruise, but I like the idea of taking my cheap may cruise and moving it to late june instead. Am I thinking about this correctly?

I think the idea of L&S your cruise - especially if you got a good price and it's an itin that you like - is a great one.  Just one problem.  At the moment, you can only L&S through April 2022.  If they extend that date (and I feel sure that they will if this year's Alaska season is kanked) , then you won't have any problem but if it isn't, you won't be able to L&S your May cruise.