Testing onboard is working. 2 Passengers on CelebrityMillennium test positive.

19 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

In 2009-2010, there was 60 million reported cases of H1N1 in the US. About 27k deaths attributed to H1N1.

Imagine, if we tested for H1N1 in 2009-2010 like we do for Covid today. How many cases and deaths would have been attributed to H1N1?

There is no way to stop Covid from being on cruise ships, vaccinated passengers or not. Just like everywhere else. Zero Covid should not be the goal. 

There is still debate about asymptomatic spread. If someone had the vaccine and a breakthrough case happens with no symptoms, does that person even have enough viral load to spread it to others? 

Covid is on its way to being endemic and our society needs to come to terms with that. Stop testing vaccinated people with no symptoms. 

During H1N1 states were ordered to stop mass testing programs. Pretty much the opposite of how covid is being handled

Too bad there will be collateral damage done with the false positives that are sure to come. 

Can you imagine being vaccinated and having to take covid test and its a false positive and your cruise is disrupted or worse, you are just left at a port? 

I know some will say thats the risk one runs when taking a cruise during these uncertain times but still...

9 minutes ago, Craig 01020 said:

There's the difference. Covid = 598,000 deaths in the U.S.

We have no idea how many deaths would have been attributed to H1N1 in the US if they would have tested for it the way they test for Covid now AND counted deaths back then the way we have counted them in the last year

And we have a counting problem in the US. We have failed to distinguish between dying FROM Covid from dying WITH Covid in many cases because of the financial incentives. 

And then there is the seasonal flu, should we shut down cruises with families because of cases of flu found aboard which is much more harmful to children than Covid has been? 

I hope cruising can survive this restart because no matter what, Covid will be on cruise ships just like everywhere else in our daily lives. Its just how the CDC, media and general public handle the news when cases are discovered on multiple cruise ships because if you test every vaccinated passenger, Covid cases will be found. And the there are the false positives where passengers can get left at a port.

I know, I know, people will say that is the price to be paid for cruising now but we will never remove Covid from cruise ships because it will become endemic 

15 minutes ago, 12thman said:

So how will this affect other cruises going forward? Does this affect Adventure? Maybe more testing?

all unknown at this time.  Time will tell, expected to see this as a major new story this morning but not really anything yet around here.

the best article i have seen on it yet

https://thepointsguy.com/news/celebrity-millennium-cruise-ship-covid/

11 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Ths is the most riduculous statement ever made. People can be asymptomatic and spread the virus. COVID-19 infections are common in people of all ages, including children who can be asymptomatic  and spread it.  The cruise line protocols are working perfectly to detect it and isolate them in order to stop the spread and not bring cruising to another halt. 

People can also be asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic and spread the flu, the common cold, measles, chicken pox, etc., etc., etc. There is no required testing for any of those.

1 hour ago, Craig 01020 said:

There's the difference. Covid = 598,000 deaths in the U.S.

My father passed in February due to heart failure. Because he had tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 the previous week, his cause of death was listed as the coronavirus. As pointed out by @UNCFanatik, he died WITH Covid, not because of Covid. This is one personal example of reported Covid-19 deaths being higher than the real number that should be attributed to the disease.

1 hour ago, UNCFanatik said:

There is no way to stop Covid from being on cruise ships, vaccinated passengers or not. Just like everywhere else. Zero Covid should not be the goal

Exactly! Just as there is not way to stop a cold from being on cruise ships. And yes, zero Covid cannot be the goal as it is an unattainable goal. 

53 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

seeing nothing of a major new story on this yet, not even a slight mention run on my TV news ticker this morning, where the less important stories go.

Barely a mention on the 3 industry new sites i look at from time to time.

I can tell you it's all over my social media (I tend to find myself in the same places as millennial liberals... only mentioning the politics of it because of how "curated" the internet experience is now based on who the tech companies think you are).

This is what is really important:

New cases on May 12 in the USA were 35,484. On June 10, 11,882.

And the world as a whole, cases have decreased almost 50% over the same time period. 

The cruise industry has a great plan in place when a case pops up. But saying that, I do feel that we are doing way too much testing. If you test every person who is coming on a ship or even leaving a ship you are eventually going to find a case or two.

50 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

all unknown at this time.  Time will tell, expected to see this as a major new story this morning but not really anything yet around here.

the best article i have seen on it yet

https://thepointsguy.com/news/celebrity-millennium-cruise-ship-covid/

Only seen a few US (CNN, FOX, Washington Post and CDN (Global website) news reports this morning.

Wait until all the negative cruise bashers get wind of it!

2 hours ago, Craig 01020 said:

It's possible for vaccinated people to contract the virus, but it's also possible to fake vaccination cards if you're not vaccinated.

I don't think that is the case here, I don't think we are dealing with people who presented a fake vaccination card. 

But this does bring up an interesting point vaccinated individuals can contract covid but I believe the science stated they can't spread covid which is good news for a cruise ship. The issue we could see once cruising resumes out of US ports are unvaccinated individuals who leave the US negative for COVID, disembark the ship at one or two ports of call, come into contact with a person with covid while not taking all proper precautions then bringing covid back on the ship.  The major difference between US, European cruises and Singapore cruises is Singapore cruises are to no where therefore there is little to no chance of covid ever enter the ship if it isn't brought onboard during embarkation day.  Whereas both here in the US/Caribbean and in Europe you are visiting several ports of call and with cruises relaxing the rules and allowing any and all passengers to disembark like we normally would before covid there is a chance covid could be brought back onboard the ship.

Since vaccines will no longer be required the only way to stop any outbreak onboard a ship is by testing all passengers at some point during the voyage, and that is what cruise lines are trying to do they know covid at some point will come onboard a vessel but what they can not have are any more covid outbreaks even though the original outbreaks were not the fault of any cruise line.  

People keep saying the protocols are working, well the only way for covid protocols to work is for a cruise ship to identify covid positive passengers early and isolate those passengers.  The only way to identify and initiate covid protocols this is through testing, because there is a chance covid will be brought back onboard a cruise ship at one or more port of call.  If Celebrity has not tested the guests (even though the test was for guest to return home) we would have never know about these two passengers.  However, just because we would not have known does not mean covid isn't on board the ship.  Since we are not going to require vaccines ( and I'm 100% okay with that decision) we then have to accept the fact that testing must, must be performed while onboard the ship especially if the ship is stopping at multiple ports where all passengers are allowed to disembark and explore the islands on their own.  

29 minutes ago, ChrisK2793 said:

I’m curious what will happen if somebody’s fully vaccinated, had Covid previously, and tests positive on the the cruise.  It would obviously have to be a false positive ….. I wonder what would happen to them in that case?

1 hour ago, UNCFanatik said:

Too bad there will be collateral damage done with the false positives that are sure to come. 

Can you imagine being vaccinated and having to take covid test and its a false positive and your cruise is disrupted or worse, you are just left at a port? 

I know some will say thats the risk one runs when taking a cruise during these uncertain times but still...

These are definitely my biggest concerns for November, it's my husband's luck that this would happen to us. It's not nearly enough of a concern to cancel but it's in the back of the worry part of my brain!

21 minutes ago, JasonOasis said:

People keep saying the protocols are working, well the only way for covid protocols to work is for a cruise ship to identify covid positive passengers early and isolate those passengers.  

Another alternative is to reject the premise of the game altogether, which in my view is what needs to happen for us to return to normal (on or off of a cruise ship).

Even if you don't realize it, you are buying into the CDC's idea that managing COVID must be premised on a zero COVID strategy. How different would our mitigation measures look if we could get public health officials to acknowledge publicly what they are already planning for privately: COVID is endemic.