It’s understandable, especially if they were using the app instead of the website.  The app says on my cruise planner that the boat leaves at 7:30 but the websites cruise planner says 4.  4 of the excursions you book through the cruise planner are listed as going past the time the boat is in port.

The second picture- left side, shows when the cruise planner website says you leave.  The first picture -right side, shows when the the Royal app says you leave.

The first picture shows the Royal app shows the excursions that go past 4, when the boat leaves.

4D28C28A-A07B-44E5-BA17-BF8868E86E61.jpeg

73168292-CDFC-4993-9E2D-EE4D5FAB3F6C.jpeg

However when you book an excursion through Royal, it will return prior to departure.  

There are plenty of signs and announcements when the ship leaves and when guests need to be back on board.  Trying to say they looked at the app a couple months before sailing and one or two excursion came back at 5pm is a weak excuse for missing the ship.  

2 hours ago, twangster said:

However when you book an excursion through Royal, it will return prior to departure.  

There are plenty of signs and announcements when the ship leaves and when guests need to be back on board.  Trying to say they looked at the app a couple months before sailing and one or two excursion came back at 5pm is a weak excuse for missing the ship.  

I have no idea what happened with these people.  It sounds like what you’re saying is they only have it that the boat leaves in the app months ahead when you are booking excursions and update it later.  We have not gone on or cruise, nor have we been to the Bahamas.  I just know that we are super excited to go there and there are way more excursions that we want to do and when I saw we were there until 7 in the app I was hoping to even book 2 excursions.  I was very confused when booking excursions ahead.  I was simply stating maybe they were confused too.  I feel very attacked. I guess I’ll just stay quiet and not post until I have been on a cruise.

Just now, LindaN said:

I have no idea what happened with these people.  It sounds like what you’re saying is they only have it that the boat leaves in the app months ahead when you are booking excursions and update it later.  We have not gone on or cruise, nor have we been to the Bahamas.  I just know that we are super excited to go there and there are way more excursions that we want to do and when I saw we were there until 7 in the app I was hoping to even book 2 excursions.  I was very confused when booking excursions ahead.  I was simply stating maybe they were confused too.  I feel very attacked. I guess I’ll just stay quiet and not post until I have been on a cruise.

Just don’t trust anything on the app as far as times. It’s notoriously inaccurate. Go by the cruise compass. Although I found the menus on Mariner to be accurate. 

7 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Just don’t trust anything on the app as far as times. It’s notoriously inaccurate. Go by the cruise compass. Although I found the menus on Mariner to be accurate. 

+1 on this point.  App was highly inaccurate on Indy in December.  Gave up on it after Day 1.

We ALWAYS head back to the ship a little early, and keep an eye on the time.  We usually book a balcony room and end up getting lucky enough to be on the side of the ship facing the dock.  We get back about an hour or two early and watch the runners, we both understand that although we are on vacation, the crew is at work and still have a schedule to attend to.  I can tell you that if I was the cause of us being late that she would rip me a new one, and if she was the reason we were left I would never let her hear the end of it. So we both agree to get back early, hit the Windjammer, and then shower and watch the runners.  Some things just are NOT worth it!!!!!

I get quite nervous about going too far from the ship when we head off by ourselves and keep checking my watch. 
I usually try and get us back at least an hour before departure time.

I remember on one cruise we where about 40 minutes late departing from Lanzarote and we where sitting on our balcony just looking out over the port when we saw this taxi screaming though the security point, lights flashing horn blaring. He pulled up right next to the ship and a couple got out and legged the remaining 20 feet to the gangway. Needless to say they where met with many cheers from the on lookers on the Balconys.

I have to say I am very disappointed in this thread, as it had no video or link to dock runners.  That is one of my favorite pastimes.  We always look forward to departure time and plan for a good viewing spot about 15 minutes before departure time.  Still sometimes we have to get our fix from YouTube videos.  Thanks to @twangster for at least the screenshots!  (Even if it wasn’t the actual couple.). 

Edit To add - for those couple of new cruisers posting, the ship has multiple avenues that they will inform you of departure time.  It will be posted in a number of places near gangways and tenders, in the cruise compass and  stated over the daily announcements and at other locations, sometimes even the night before at certain venues.  Yes sometimes things happen but it really is pretty hard to not know.  There are plenty of times this happens and there are plenty of “close” calls that never make it to YouTube because the ships do try to wait at least a reasonable amount of time.  Since the ship can get charges for staying in port extra and they have a schedule to keep they can’t wait too long.

When we were in Nassau Feb 3 on Symphony I did a periscope of a solo pier runner

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bzrBvDMwMDQwOHwxbW54ZU9YQldBckdYiD-Tnx4rBrDMc-hipBZ4a1EAdD7T9vTecJQRvpPR_Fo=?t=1m26s

it was our observation that the captain of Symphony does not wait around. The ropes were droppped and walkways pulled on schedule. There were no ship wide pages for passengers and there certainly did not appear to be luggage or port agents waiting for this person running to catch the ship.

16 hours ago, LindaN said:

I feel very attacked. I guess I’ll just stay quiet and not post until I have been on a cruise.

Don't feel attacked and don't stop posting, discussions such as this one, are how we all learn. I have been on 18 cruises and @twangster and others have been on many more, but I always check before I leave the ship what time all aboard is and then I plan on being back at least an hour before that, so if there is a traffic jam, the taxi I'm in breaks down, etc., I at least have a small margin for error.

As everyone has said on here already, the ship has a schedule to keep, I correlate being late to the ship, to also being late to the muster drill, people think that it doesn't pertain to them, and you have the majority of people standing outside, packed like sardines waiting for muster to be over, finding out later that it was because people had to found and told to report, etc..

Lesson learned on this thread is don't trust the Royal APP, just yet, go by what your cruise ticket says and then double check that with the cruise compass when on board.