Disney prices vs Royal Caribbean prices

people go to disney world for three days and spend that too. its a disney vacation, while i wouldnt pay that  as my kids are older, there are those that want it. It's disney world on the water. If thats not your cup of tea, RC is much better. FYI while allure doesnt have the water slides she is a great ship. And compared to disney you can splurge for a suite for short cruise....or not and just get a great deal for a qucik getaway. 😁

I confess $4,000 for my tiny concierge cabin for 3 on deck 12. Tiny, tiny but I booked way back, actually I believe I had just started sailing Royal, not sure. I wanted to sail the new ship years ago, booked non refundable. I'm using some Disney funny money and 350.00 OBC. Ummm, I could have landed a beautiful cabin on Royal for 7 nights....the more you know! 

All this being said I'm going to relax and enjoy all it has to offer but I'm pretty sure I will be comparing it to Royal every step of the way! I'm sailing again so I'm excited still. 

Screenshot_20230604_173530_Disney Cruise Line Navigator.jpg

I have been on several Disney Cruises and loved all of them.  Their service is second to none.  The problem is they are so good that people are willing to pay the high price.  Disney priced us out of their market.  I could not see paying the price for one Disney Cruise when I can go on 3 RCL cruises.  

That's one of the many reasons we have stayed with Royal. Our first cruise was with DCL (honeymoon) back in 2004 and it was absolutely amazing. We caught the cruise bug on that sailing! The pricing has always been insane IMHO. I know they fancy themselves as a "luxury" line, but they have always been at least 50%-75% higher whenever we priced almost identical itineraries in comparable staterooms. The product is excellent and the demand is great with such a tiny fleet of smaller vessels, so I guess it will never change outside of Asia (assuming DCL completes that huge Genting ship hull they purchased).

We'll sail DCL again down the road, but Royal offers so much more, especially for adults, at a much more reasonable cost. So many more vessels and itineraries to choose from with Royal! I'd rather go directly to WDW when we want to get our Disney fix!

When our little girl was really into Disney, we paid the price for a Disney cruise and the entire family had a wonderful time, especially her being able to meet all the Disney characters.  Now, I wouldn’t think about paying the price difference between Disney and other cruise lines.

Our first cruise was DCL, the service was great and the kids enjoyed themselves. I found it was too much Disney and there is no escape from it on ship. Our 2nd family cruise we compared Freedom to one of the DCL ship, both 7 days. Same ports on the same days and each went to their private island. Freedom came in around 1/3 of the price. I'm not Disney fanatic, so Freedom it was. The prices just isn't worth it, the service/food/entertainment from our opinion isn't that much better to justify the cost.

Disney prices are boarder line abusive.  However, their product is outstanding from both service and overall quality.  This is Especially true if you can filter out the Disney feeling whenever you want (which is possible - but not always easy).  Is it worth the extreme premium in cost.  No.  In my mind, the Disney cruise experience is what Walt wanted the parks to feel like.  The parks are a zoo.  Their cruise experience is quite nice and if you are a Disney fan, i think you get the service and feeling Walt was looking for.  A Disney Cruise really is something special if you can swing it and are in the right mindset for what you will experience.  (And I am not a Disney fan)

My family if far from a Disney Freaks but did enjoy the experience.   If you want to try one.that is not priced ridiculously, you can spot somewhat realistic prices from time to time.  There is a November 3 day one way from San Juan to Miami that is priced for humans.  Obviously, you have to fly to San Juan... but finding cheap air is easier than finding realistic priced Disney cruises.

Many years ago we did a Disney cruise followed by a Disney World trip.  On the ship there were plenty of characters available for photo ops with little or no wait.  After the cruise at the park there were up to 30 minute waits for a photo with a character.     The parks were a big let down compared to the ship as far as the overall experience went.   Long waits for everything, mediocre food in the parks, cast members very busy, etc.    

The ship experience was great but not so great that it screamed this it was so worth it compared to other cruise lines.  It's very good service, usually, but not worth the premium compared to a Royal Caribbean cruise, at least in my opinion.  Fun to do once but now that my kids are grown up they don't even remember the Disney cruise.  Oh well, we've still got the pictures to prove they did it.  🤣  

Compare the Disney Wish to the Icon of the Seas- then you'll be comparing more similar products- newest, most in demand ship, that's where a better comparison will be. 

Yes, Disney can be more expensive than Royal Caribbean. It is not always! Also I feel like Royal Caribbean does more nickel-and-diming than Disney does.

I like both cruise lines, but I wouldn't criticize people for paying for DCL. If you don't want to pay it, then don't! No one is forcing people to sail on Disney!

Never sailed on Disney and never will. Would likely go over the rail due to Post Traumatic Rat Syndrome.

But, does anyone remember olden days (first year of operation) of Disney World, when you paid $7.95 admission to the Magic Kingdom, purchased individual ride tickets that evolved into the "E" ticket that got you on any ride?

Now, park admission is on the order of a couple of body organs..............

I really struggle to understand how out of state/out of country visitors can continue to afford to visit Disney, or any of the other "Worlds" in Orlando. 🤑🤑

As @matt says "If you are tripping over a big pile of money laying around your living room, then Disney might be the solution!" 

Seriously, if people are willing to pay those prices, then Disney would be foolish to sell cabins for less.  But, they won't sell them to me at those prices.

8 hours ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

Never sailed on Disney and never will. Would likely go over the rail due to Post Traumatic Rat Syndrome.

But, does anyone remember olden days (first year of operation) of Disney World, when you paid $7.95 admission to the Magic Kingdom, purchased individual ride tickets that evolved into the "E" ticket that got you on any ride?

Now, park admission is on the order of a couple of body organs..............

I really struggle to understand how out of state/out of country visitors can continue to afford to visit Disney, or any of the other "Worlds" in Orlando. 🤑🤑

With 23 Disney visits under my belt, I will say we afford it by knowing how to find the deals, just like savvy cruisers.

It's me, staring at the Independence of the Seas from the Disney Wish concierge lounge on B2B turn around day.  2 decks and gorgeous!

My super tiny concierge cabin was very well appointed. (maybe 300 sq ft)The swag was amazing because it's a 25th anniversary and still Inaugural year. Take aways, Royal suites are just larger and I prefer the bath products on Royal.

The crew is mostly kind, a bit more aloof especially in the concierge lounge, Royal is a stand out there also but again MOST of the crew are amazing but the ones that aren't on DCL are very apparent and do not seem to care much regarding the guests. The bad or passive aggressive attitudes are on board.

DCL food in my opinion has the edge over Royal. Sorry but the menus and food choices are inventive and very tasty. The shows with dinner, um a bit manic BUT I don't have little ones anymore.

Our wait staff is amazing, we really lucked out here!

The shows technical situation is super elevated, the theater allows concierge to enter before general admission and choose your seats before anyone else, I love this!

Disney ques are famous and everywhere even while waiting for the parking deck to open but in the same sentence everything runs very orderly and efficiently.

We are enjoying our time on the Disney Wish but family concensus we can't wait to board the Wonder in a few weeks. Royal for the win!

What I paid for this 7 night in a concierge family stateroom is more then my 7 night western in a CLS on the Wonder.....Dear Royal, I'm on my way!

20230612_121900.jpg

Edited by Neesa
Added pic

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

Traitor!

30c6621320ac5d6755542822ac761a4b.jpg

Ahem

Carnival Mardi Gras - Aug. 21 - 28, 2021, 7 Nights - Western Caribbean

https://www.cruisehabit.com/boards/topic/939-carnival-mardi-gras-aug-21-28-2021-7-nights-western-caribbean/

1 minute ago, Seafarer said:

Did you see me here on this site posting from Mardi Gras?  🙂  

Everything Disney is now outrageously expensive. Until the past 10-15 years, Disney World was sold as an affordable family vacation for everyone. Park tickets were reasonable and they had on-site resorts that ranged from luxury to budget level. Now, the only audience they cater to across the board is those with little or no limitations as far as cost. They quit building budget and moderate resorts years ago. Now, all they do is build Deluxe resorts that are >$600 per night even at off-peak times of year. They finish one and start the next one. Meanwhile, everything at the park is now an upcharge or part of a deluxe package. Meanwhile, their customer service used to be amazing. They'd do everything to make sure you had a great 'magical' trip. That's completely gone now. It's no better than dealing with Royal. It's sad because Disney World used to be such a great vacation.

The cruise line is no different. Disney Cruises are almost always at least 50% greater in cost than their equivalent on Royal.

All that said -- and I know I'm going to get pushback here on a Royal message board -- you do get what you pay for. Disney's Deluxe resorts are phenomenal and the cruise ships are beautiful and spotless. However, I would say that the newest Royal ships (Oasis, Quantum Class) are just as nice as the Disney ships, and there's a lot more to do. The only thing that we found to be consistently (much) better on Disney was the food. Royal's MDR is a joke at this point. Disney's MDR food we found to be exceptional. 

In any event, we used to be a Disney family. We went to Disney 5x in 6 years from 2013-19. Now that our kids are a bit older and Disney has so few affordable options left, we've defected entirely to Royal. 

4 hours ago, jeffmw said:

All that said -- and I know I'm going to get pushback here on a Royal message board -- you do get what you pay for. Disney's Deluxe resorts are phenomenal and the cruise ships are beautiful and spotless. However, I would say that the newest Royal ships (Oasis, Quantum Class) are just as nice as the Disney ships, and there's a lot more to do. The only thing that we found to be consistently (much) better on Disney was the food. Royal's MDR is a joke at this point. Disney's MDR food we found to be exceptional. 

I don't think that's too controversial of an opinion, even here. I think most would agree that if you're paying more, everything should be better, including the food. It's the people who think paying Royal's prices entitles them to food and beverage as served on a luxury line which kills me. Or, in the case of Disney versus Royal, claiming Royal is "nickel and diming" because Disney includes soft drinks in their fare while you have to pay for them on Royal. Conveniently ignoring the price difference between the two.

DCL Wish sailing complete, heading over to Wonder of the Seas a week from Sunday in a CLS. Random thoughts,

Turn around day for the B2B was so smooth, we were the first back on the waterslide & the infinity adult pool. Cabin transition fantastic, cabin ready by 1200hrs and all our belongings located within new cabin. We skipped the embarkation lunch because honestly the late breakfast we enjoyed was plenty,  best avocado toast anywhere. 

Ducks....I brought them with me, the 3 day I think I was the only ducker on board lol! The 4 day, just wow! There were ducks & I mean fancy ducks, what fun that was. I was floss dancing every time I found one 🙂

Random observation, on the 3 night sailing the families, most crew & just entire experience was joyful and happy for the most part. The 4 night had a whole different vibe, it was crazy, few smiles, lots of arguing and puss faces...crew that did smile looked haggard so weird! 

DCL as well had cut backs that I saw. Royal isn't the only one. Dinner portions were smaller and the filet night 1 was not a good cut, #CK is much better. I like Mickey bars after dinner, they used to come out fancy with sprinkles and on a fancy serving dish, now you get a bar in a white bowl. The cabin amenities are cut back as well, no more q tips, shower caps or individual loofah sponges in the cabin. The water is Dasani, period. They were kind enough (my room steward) to get me some Evian in large glass bottles I was able to transfer to cups to drink. There was a Pineapple Smoothie machine on the concierge deck, yay!! That was a huge hit, I laughed as I saw many a dad creating rum floaters on top of that smoothie. Marceline Market their buffet is down sized and the offerings were less as well as few with many "cheaper" option repeats. The Wind Jammer crushes this venue. Again the MDR foods were outstanding the fast food options (Burgers, pizza, barbecue) quality was average. Same at Castaway Cay, lessened the offerings and it seemed just okay. 

We enjoyed ourselves very much, I still have Disney music in my head. The disembarkation was so fast, so organized....just amazing. So happy we experienced this new ship, but the entire family agrees we are ecstatic we found Royal when we did. Any questions please ask me!

1 hour ago, Neesa said:

The Wind Jammer crushes this venue

i appreciated so much of your review for so many reasons (i see you and our water struggles!!) but this made me laugh so hard. 

the day when the jammer crushes a dining venue is truly a day to be alive, indeed 😆😆😆😆😆😆

ps: also — no pressure, but — where is the wonder liveblog and why has it not started yet with pre vacation stuff  😂

20 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

i appreciated so much of your review for so many reasons (i see you and our water struggles!!) but this made me laugh so hard. 

the day when the jammer crushes a dining venue is truly a day to be alive, indeed 😆😆😆😆😆😆

ps: also — no pressure, but — where is the wonder liveblog and why has it not started yet with pre vacation stuff  😂

So funny, I was thinking "I'm not that interesting" so I don't want to blog this trip. Even Vintage Magnet/Cabash is like you're not going to blog? 

6 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

@Neesa the CLS is the only room I am dying to stay in. Please blog your experience. 

Also was the pineapple smoothies a dolewhip???

Wow, another live blog request. You guys make me feel so special 🤩 Thank you! Yes it was Dole Whip! I was thinking about you when we dined in Marvel. It was a great show & probably the best menu on board. I saw Spider Man up close & personal. He really looks amazing in his spider tights!! LOL!! Our servers had him come to our table, what a hoot!!

Here is some DCL swag and sailing 2 four day duck game, they went hard. So much fun. DCL gave the very big garish Mouse Head lanyards, I used my old ones. We didn't like them, key cards were pretty. We did represent by (me) wearing a Royal cap. Crazy how many people asked if we liked Royal, etc. Cabash actually spoke, he was like the Royal advertising executive. He would not stop about his love for Royal!

20230617_134228.jpg

20230617_135229.jpg

20230617_135525.jpg

Oh one last note about this sailing, the old style muster. It was beyond painful. People were pissed, one guy lost his temper. We were all on top if each other, both sailings people were late and they made us wait. 

In my mind I was like they have our money and they still hate us! Excruciating would not even be a strong enough word.