What's the last thing you put in your suitcase?

I read this many years ago and have used it ever since and it helped save us on an Hawaiian cruise.  The last thing I put in our suitcases is an itinerary from the time we leave home until we return home.  This includes names, cell phone numbers, address, flights, hotels and cruise line and ship.  One of our pieces of luggage got lost and unfortunately our identification tag had been torn off.  Our piece of luggage was eventually opened, our itinerary was discovered.  Delta called us to inform us they had our luggage and would forward it to our first port in Hawaii and would be at the pier waiting for us.  I mentioned this to the Concierge and she said they would take care of getting the luggage at the pier and to our room.  Much to my relief everything went off without a hitch!  Made a believer out of me.

Bill

The last thing I put in a suitcase will be something not in my backpack. I.e., maybe some shoes or a packing cube. I keep toiletries, itineraries, and anything essential in my backpack. I always reserve the luggage/carry-on for things I don't really need. So, for the last thing I usually pack it will be charging cables and devices. 

My kindle and chromebook - everything else I keep a duplicate supply that can be packed well in advance. (i.e. hair dryer, toiletries, make-up, chargers, first aid kit, etc.)

My duplicate items stay in a drawer specifically designated for travel. This ensures that I don't forget anything. Plus, it makes packing quicker and stress free!

16 minutes ago, Psycho and Barb said:

My shaving kit since it’s about the last thing I use.  All our SetSail pass, Covid cards, Covid test and itinerary going in a folder that we make up as soon as we book the cruise.  That folder and passports go into a backpack.  

We have a leather portfolio which is just right for Sea Pass, Passports, Covid documents, meds, etc, etc which I always keep in my rolly carry on. 

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, ColdRingo said:

We always pack a hand-held luggage scale to make sure our bags aren't overweight.  That's the last thing that goes into the last suitcase...every time.  😎

Same here! 

Check the weight of cases then put scales into 1 case for return trip.

On 8/30/2022 at 2:19 PM, smokeybandit said:

This is so true, why do I do that?!?  Coming off our last trip in July, I did make myself a few notes and one of them was to bring 1 less swimsuit and coverup (I never go in the pool, so why do I pack multiple?!) and pack fewer shorts and less jewelry.  I seem to have grand ideas of wearing fresh, cute, and accessorized outfits, but then re-wear b/c it's usually just easier to grab off the sofa (aka laundry pile) and go! 

To answer the actual question, I would say my special hairdryer is the last to go in.  I will definitely consider the good suggestion of placing an itinerary at the top or general contact info.