CoCo Cay Pricing Getting Ridiculous

WannaCruise

When we were there last week we had a cabana on Chill Island. The cabana included towels, floating mats, Bluetooth speaker, cooler with ice and waters, snorkeling gear, bar and food service from our cabana attendant. He gave us wristbands and said they were good for everything on the island except ziplining and helium balloon. Shocked, I asked if it included the water park. He assured us it did. We were shocked as it was not advertised that a chill island cabana included access to the waterpark. We asked him to double check so he asked another cabana attendant who said yes it was included. With this information my wife and I decided we may as well give the slides a go. We wandered over to the waterpark only to be turned away and told it was not included. Wasn't too bothered by it because we weren't planning on going on the slides anyway but found it amusing that a lot of the employees seemed misinformed and unaware of what was what.

2 hours ago, dr martini said:

Haha yep.  It's always been like this in business, maybe sticks out more here because this is a new category and a new kind of experience.

Supply and Demand.  Kids want the waterpark.  RC wants to maximize profits and also has a limited capacity for the rides.

I feel the same way about the cabanas and the new beach club.  To me, it's highway robbery for one 6 hour experience but some people clearly have a lot of money and want the status, they want to be seen and want to be pampered.  It's like anything else, there are plenty of cars that can drive you from point A to point B, watches that can tell time and hand bags that can hold your personal items; just happen to be some out there with a different logo and a few extra zeroes at the end of their price tag.  Companies wouldn't keep making them if they didn't sell.  

Well we booked the beach club ($54.99) for our Symphony cruise in May to insure we wouldn’t be searching endlessly for chairs on the beach. We’re traveling with another couple so hunting down 4 first row chairs is something we don’t want to do. 

At the time, I didn’t know if we’d be the only ship there or one of several. when we were on Labadee on Oasis, I hated it. Least favorite port. It was a glorified hotel beach. Crowded. 

We were at CocoCay in October on Mariner and it was great. Deserted! Plenty of space. 

So I booked the beach club in anticipation of CocoCay being crowded. I’m sitting back waiting for the reviews to start coming in to see if it’s really worth it. I have since found out that Symphony is the only ship at CocoCay the day we’re there. So likely not too bad crowd wise. 

We’re not rich and don’t need pampering but sitting on top of people is not fun. This was a way to insure some space. 

For the record, I’d never pay $93.99 for this pass. That’s ridiculous. We got the water park last October for $45.99 and that wasn’t worth it either. I can’t imagine people paying 3 times that amount for water slides. 

It really is a 'you do you, I'll do me" thing.  I'm cheap and my family knows it but I'm cheap so we can use our money to do fun things.  We did the water park cabana on our last visit for a family of 5.  It was $299.  Kids got to do the slides and wave pool which they love and we are in the frozen mountains of PA so none close.  Mom and dad got to hang at the cabana and chill out for the day.  We told the kids next time we will do the free stuff and they are happy with that.

In August hubby and I booked the beach club for $55.99 per person for the two of us.  Decent deal we think for the food options and limited people in the area.  We wouldn't pay for all 5 of us to do that. 

For us it all comes down to who is cruising, when we are cruising and if we can find a deal that we feel comfortable with.

30 minutes ago, Miklou32 said:

Going on a day there will be three ships docked. Certainly not paying $100 a kid to stand in line and perhaps get 3-4 rides down slides. That’s is the one draw back to Royal, nickel and dime you with everything. 

I don't see it that way at all. I think of it as "a la carte pricing".   Instead of charging a much higher fee, and making everything included, you pay for what you do want to use.  If everything was complimentary, you'd still be paying for it, and probably paying for things you might not want.  Some people don't drink alcohol - should they be subsidizing my consumption?  I don't want photos, no point having that cost blanketed in when I have no need or want for them.  If the price of the extras matches your perceived value of it, go for it.  If not, there's still plenty to do.  

8 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I'll be lucky to drag Mr SpeedNoodles off of the island before the ship floats away.

Well if you are on our sailing than it will be a tie on which of our hubbies are the last on board.  We absolutely adore Coco Cay.  

I also agree with your premise of viewing it as ala carte instead of seeing it as nickel and diming.  I have no desire to go to the water park or do the balloon, or even kayak, should I pay for those items when I know I will never use them?  

The same is true for Labadee,  since we will be on Symphony, I will get the same thrill ziplining on the ship.  Sure it is different landscape, but I see it like when we did parasailing on Coco Cay....bucket list items, do it 1x to say I did it.   Instead at Labadee I will do the rollercoaster.  

Finally, we also like the options they offer.  We have done nothing, we have rented the cabanas, the beach beds and now we will do the beach pass.  It allows us the ability to try new things without the stress of hoping we will be able to get XYZ.  

Look at it another way.  When you purchase a stove by Whirlpool.  You can get the low end, it does the job, or now you can go all the way up to the point that your Alexa will turn on the stove for you.  Would you say Whirlpool is nickel and diming you?  No, you just would say if I want those bells and whistles than I will pay for them.

For comparison...(our prices are in CAD)

• We purchased Waterpark tickets for Navigator (Aug 2019) for $58.51 ...unfortunately we never made it due to Dorian and got our money back
  • We purchased  Half Day Waterpark tickets for Anthem (Mar 2020) for $79.06.  Full Day was $105.  Half day no longer exists so hoping they get converted to full day.  Current price is $150.28.  Yikes!
  • We purchased 2-Day Waterpark tickets for Mariner (Aug 2020) for $105. This price was short lived and it is now $198 for 2-day and $118 for single day.
  • Harmony (Mar 2021) is selling for $131.67.  

Navigator and Anthem were purchased way back.  Mariner was purchased very soon after they converted our single CoCo Cay stop to a 2 day stop.

Hoping no weather issues cancels our stop at Anthem or Mariner.....since at current prices, we will not be purchasing for Harmony, nor other cruises going forward.

I think some people including me think the prices are high, because they kind of are. I do not see anything wrong with people voicing their opinions. For my sailing the water park was originally $99 dollars, then I got an email that it was on sale now for $131.99. How is it a sale if you raised the price? I know for me, seeing the non consistent pricing makes me feel like some of the prices are ridiculous. However, I just don't buy it. I just spend my money on excursions where the prices are more consistent.

Our take on Coco Cay from this past September (me and the missus are late 50s but are in good health) is that the free stuff offered plenty of fun options (Snack Shack was good, buffet not bad, etc.). We also enjoyed the Oasis Lagoon and Swim-up bar; we had no problem finding a pair of umbrella-covered loungers being that we got off the boat in the first hour or so of opening. Walking around the place was fun, and we really didn't feel like we missed a whole lot. Our only cost was a cocktail or two at the swim-up bar (we don't drink enough for the unlimited package). We got back on Symphony after several hours of fun and sun and found the boat virtually empty and headed to the Solarium Deck (our favorite relaxation spot) and had the pick of loungers near the bar. For our upcoming 2-week back-to-back cruises on Symphony this Fall (celebrating our 20th anniversary), we booked the Coco Club at $79/each in order to enjoy a little more privacy and the delicious lunch. If we were sailing with several other friends, I could see considering getting a paid cabana, but I think you can easily enjoy Perfect Day without blowing out your wallet. We like to use our cash for various onboard paid activities (private dining packages, ship tours, etc.).

In 2 out of my next 4 RC cruises I have stops at Coco Cay. I plan to get off both times and enjoy Snack Shack and a Coco Loco..or 2. Depending on my drink package, this will cost me nothing. I don't understand why people would say it is a ripoff. Its a resort that offers you access to beautiful water activities, sun, fun and food. You can chose not to pay for anything and have just as much fun. Like everything in life there are levels. Paying $1400 for a cabana is a level. It no different than when some people stay in a hostel or others a boutique hotel. No different than choosing to stay in an interior or a suite. No different than eating in the MDR or Chops every night.

I think the reason everything is getting more expensive is multi-fold. There are people who pay for it. I'm not going to lie I will spend money on first class tickets in a heartbeat because I crave that comfort. It is the same with people who want a private cabana. Another reason is all the influencer's and culture, people always want to seem better off than others; those floating cabanas are good for the 'gram. The final reason is strictly financial. Unemployment is low(ish) and people seem to have more income...rather they spend more for things. I cannot fathom spending any money for water parks because that isn't my jam. At the same time I have spent that cabana price on Chloe purse, so I am not judging.

Looking forward to our March 7-14 Symphony of the Seas cruise going out of Miami.  Even better is the day at CoCoCay.  A long time listener of Matt's podcast, that was a big help in our decision of what we are doing during our time there. The Cabanas will be available with all the extras.  My wife and two kids (13 and 11) will also be joining.  We decided to get two thrillpark water days for $88 (Cruise Essential sale).  My wife and son will do the beach, big pool and the kids area.  Matt mentioned on his podcast all the free things and we will maximize those.  We chose not to get he $2,500 cabanas or southbeach beds, to each is own, but looking at the value and cost we erred on getting the most out of the free stuff outside of thrill water park.  It looks like we got it for a bargain considering some sailings show at it $139.  Looking at the free food options, beach, pool and others we are looking forward to CoCoCay but yes it does it appear you can do it Gulf Shores, AL style on the cheap or more expensive Miami, French Riviera style.  

6 minutes ago, foxrunner said:

Wish that was true last Black Friday. It does vary based on your sailing so our experience could be completely different than yours.  

I just saw a post on the Royal Caribbean Brides and Grooms FB Page - RC is going to be offering savings on excursions and hopefully drink packages from 2/5 to 2/12.  I will be keeping a "weather eye" out for any deals during this time. Who's with me and why is the RUM gone?! :80_smile_cat:

Sales happen throughout the year, and some of the best prices I've gotten (especially on excursions) I've snagged between advertised sales. It just pays to check often.  I literally check prices for various things (either to initially  purchase or to reprice) several times a week, and I've scored some amazing deals (again, many times not during "sales").

11 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Sales happen throughout the year, and some of the best prices I've gotten (especially on excursions) I've snagged between advertised sales. It just pays to check often.  I literally check prices for various things (either to initially  purchase or to reprice) several times a week, and I've scored some amazing deals (again, many times not during "sales").

Thank you so much for posting this. I wasn't checking in often as I didn't think there was a sale going on, but after I read this I checked and our refreshment package was on sale for $3/day less than the "sale" price that it was on for last week. Appreciate your suggestion to check constantly.

56 minutes ago, Vangrizz said:

Thank you so much for posting this. I wasn't checking in often as I didn't think there was a sale going on, but after I read this I checked and our refreshment package was on sale for $3/day less than the "sale" price that it was on for last week. Appreciate your suggestion to check constantly.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yikes !!!  There must be more than 1 ship in port that day.  I paid $50.99 for our Beach Club day passes.  As far as I know only Anthem will be in port that day.

I've been monitoring pricing constantly and saw that jump this morning as well. It went to $93.99 a week ago, sold out and then jumped to $199 this morning (still sold out). 

People have been reporting the same jump on many different sailings from what I can see. I was already seeing that people thought that the $93 price was too high per person so curious about the pricing! Wonder if it was selling out on a lot of days so they decided to raise prices or if the Beach Club Cabanas weren't selling well so this is to push people to book those instead for the cost savings on the club passes.

6 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Yikes !!!  There must be more than 1 ship in port that day.  I paid $50.99 for our Beach Club day passes.  As far as I know only Anthem will be in port that day.

It has been consistently around the $80 mark... and all of a sudden today- it sky rocketed! I hope that we are the only ship that day- I am on the Harmony. But if we arent, I am glad that I have the passes already.. I will be secluded from the crowds  ?

1 minute ago, Grabthars Hammer said:

I've been monitoring pricing constantly and saw that jump this morning as well. It went to $93.99 a week ago, sold out and then jumped to $199 this morning (still sold out). 

People have been reporting the same jump on many different sailings from what I can see. I was already seeing that people thought that the $93 price was too high per person so curious about the pricing! Wonder if it was selling out on a lot of days so they decided to raise prices or if the Beach Club Cabanas weren't selling well so this is to push people to book those instead for the cost savings on the club passes.

I have noticed lately that the price of the beach cabanas have gone down. They are running at $999- and lately, they lowered to $799. Gotta love RC LOL

The day pass for our cruise (7 Feb Anthem) is still $93.99, which is where it has been for some time.  I guess it's not selling all that well on our cruise.  The cabanas are at the same price they've been at ($1049 for the beach cabanas and $1499 for the OTW cabanas). but the beach cabanas are showing "sold out".

7 minutes ago, JG1209 said:

I have noticed lately that the price of the beach cabanas have gone down. They are running at $999- and lately, they lowered to $799. Gotta love RC LOL

Beach club cabanas have stayed the same on our sailing at $1049 and South beach at $999! Chill Island cabanas went down from $799 to $599 a week ago. All cabanas still available. With the significant price jump in club passes, $799 looks like a bargain if you have just a few people in your group! However I heard that their view isn't great as it's mostly over the water cabana views vs open beach and it's not near the water.

Pretty much almost all of the prices have stayed the same for the CoCoCay excursions on my sailing except the waterpark pass which goes up and down the most and the helium balloon with minor ups and downs. 

Data points.....

April 2020 - 1 small ship in port (timing, tail of spring break...actually the week after my own kids' spring break so there probably won't be many kids on board at that point)

Waterpark: $52adult/$52kid
Beach Club - $99adult/$79kid

December 2020 - 2 medium/large ship in port (timing, CHRISTMAS cruise....so probably jam packed with 9-16 yr old kids so adult not fond of kids will be in the solarium and probably want to go to the beach club ?

Waterpark: $79adult/$79kid
Beach Club - $199adult/$179kid