sheesh! I don't know why i go over there

Todd W

I pop over to that "other" site every now and then.   Was just checking it out during lunch today and it never ceases to amaze as to how ugly it gets over there.   I see so many people (even mods) who just get salty and vile with people posting simple questions.    My wife was laughing at me the last time i was reading over there because i let it get under my skin way more than it should, if at all.   So many trolls as well.     @Matt it really makes me appreciate all of your hard work that has gone into this place, not to mention the great attitudes of everyone here.    Thanks again everyone!    My time spent here makes me really enjoy cruising much more than I ever intended.    I always log off knowing more than I started out and generally have a good laugh as well.   Cheers!

I agree totally with what you said Todd.  I just shake my head and then close the site.  Just think if you were a Newbie cruiser.  I think it might turn me off of cruising if that was where I had to go for my information.  It wasn't like that 20 years ago when we first started cruising.  It was a helpful fun site.  Thank goodness @Matt started this site for the rest of us who still want to be helpful to others in the fun world of cruising.

9 minutes ago, mook1525 said:

is there another RC Blog?

There is only one "Royal Caribbean blog" namesake website but there are multiple other cruising forum websites for most cruise lines including Royal Caribbean.   However, as many will attest to,  this is the only one that matters.  ?

2 hours ago, Todd W said:

I pop over to that "other" site every now and then.   Was just checking it out during lunch today and it never ceases to amaze as to how ugly it gets over there.   I see so many people (even mods) who just get salty and vile with people posting simple questions.    My wife was laughing at me the last time i was reading over there because i let it get under my skin way more than it should, if at all.   So many trolls as well.     @Matt it really makes me appreciate all of your hard work that has gone into this place, not to mention the great attitudes of everyone here.    Thanks again everyone!    My time spent here makes me really enjoy cruising much more than I ever intended.    I always log off knowing more than I started out and generally have a good laugh as well.   Cheers!

Agreed! My first RCI is coming up, next week. At first, I was scared to ask you all questions because of other forums.Thanks for being so helpful!

9 minutes ago, ltw said:

Figured this thread was fitting for my first post- I just got rid of my account over on that other website, I just couldn't take it anymore. So here I am! ?

welcome aboard!    the two sites couldn't be any more different as i'm sure you've already seen.

Got to admit I am intrigued about this "other site".   I do love this blog.  Unfortunately one consistency I have found over on the RC facebook groups is weirdly overbearing admins.  There seems no rhyme or reason to their rules.  I am admin for several groups myself and have yet to understand why they do  what they do.  Feels much more "friendly" out here.

13 minutes ago, rjac said:

Hey, we have fun here...just like when we are on a cruise!  And we poke fun at each other every now and then in good humor. Can you just imagine what folks from that other site are like on a cruise? :3_grin:

Exactly!   at no point have i ever thought "oh it would be great to cruise with so and so" from over there.   it seems like it would be miserable, at least based on the majority of attitudes ive encountered.   Now here on the other  hand,  i've always thought just the opposite!

As a new frequenter of this site, I've got to say I noticed from the start the lack of flamethrowers, trolls, wackos and other undesirables here. Having spent much time on other forums ranging from political to bow hunting, pro football to auto trouble shooting, I was used to getting disgusted with the constant negativity....and moving on.  Here it's different. Thanks!

Yeah, I hear it gets pretty critical elsewhere ?

Reminds me of a certain Disney related forum which will remain nameless.  Great information to be found there, but it gets just so negative at times that I can't stand being on it.  I understand though, people spend a lot of money on a vacation they want (expect?) everything to be perfect.  I like to look at it another way though: I spend a lot of money on a vacation so I'm gonna have a good time if it kills me!  Like I told one of the bartenders on our recent Indy cruise when we were talking about Coco Cay and the weather, "Well, if we miss it I will be disappointed, but I will just have to have a great extra sea day on the ship!"  Luckily we didn't miss it, but I was prepared to have a good time regardless.  And thanks to @Matt and this entire forum I knew to order a Coco Loco at the bar and I must say that me and my entire group were thankful for that knowledge.  I have a friend carefully experimenting to recreate the exact recipe, he was so enamored with it.

@Matt really runs a class act here.  People here are wonderful and welcoming.  We dont care if there are 450 questions about the drinks package, or shore excursions or the Royal Up program.  We dont care if newbies to cruising ask what ships to avoid, or which ship is the "good one".  People here are so kind and opening.  I've never felt the need to go to the "other" place when all I need really is right here.  

13 hours ago, jlwrinkle said:

Just think if you were a Newbie cruiser.  I think it might turn me off of cruising if that was where I had to go for my information.

Very true, that is how our experience went.
The wife and I where so excited to be sailing on Anthem when she first launched, was her first cruise and mine in a number of years. Did a quick search to find information on Anthem to see what we where in store for and ended up in "the other place"

My heart sank when I start reading things about the ship, about the crew, about the other passengers. I was very close to cancelling at one point, but stumbled across this site, think someone had posted a link in a review or the like. It was like night and day. Started reading things by people not out to find fault with everything and actually enjoyed their experiences. Put my mind at rest a bit and when we went on the cruise I was happy to say that everything was fantastic. Since then I've never been back over to the dark side

I agree with all of these ^ posts.   

It all starts with Matt, who probably doesn't see nearly as much of his kids as he deserves, since he spends so much 

time either here or doing 'Scopes or FB broadcasts.  You can tell that he's just a truly genuine guy who loves to cruise

and wants to make it as enjoyable for others.

Then there are the posters.  I'd venture to say that 98% are super nice and cool people.  Of course we occasionally have

differing opinions, but, as grown adults should, we either work it out or end up agreeing to disagree.  I love the folks that

I've "met" on here.  I only wish I could manage to make a Group Cruise (mostly so I can see if Twansgter is actually real).

Once I figure out what I'm going to do with this 800 million that I just won, I'm gonna learn how to be a Suite Snob.

It's the little goals that keep us inspired!

4 hours ago, cmdrfrag said:

Very true, that is how our experience went.
The wife and I where so excited to be sailing on Anthem when she first launched, was her first cruise and mine in a number of years. Did a quick search to find information on Anthem to see what we where in store for and ended up in "the other place"

My heart sank when I start reading things about the ship, about the crew, about the other passengers. I was very close to cancelling at one point, but stumbled across this site, think someone had posted a link in a review or the like. It was like night and day. Started reading things by people not out to find fault with everything and actually enjoyed their experiences. Put my mind at rest a bit and when we went on the cruise I was happy to say that everything was fantastic. Since then I've never been back over to the dark side

Yeah...there seems to be lots of negativity on the other site...food, service, features, benefits, etc.  I try to take it with a grain of salt.

Agree too overall...and I don't get people.  Someone recently asked about Dreamworks and they got slammed for not searching.  Seriously, not necessary...they could have just answered the person's post politely.  

Note that there are really great helpful and nice people too, and wonderful reviews.  I do follow both (as more cruise talk, the better)...but again, just take the negative stuff lightly and ignore the bad talk.

Well , not to be all negative (like some other sites ? ) there are also good things on the other sites , like the meet and mingles and dedicated cruise boards and lots of information. 

As any website with recommendations/complains  it need to be handle with grain of salt,  so I read it same as read tripadvisor or such other sites. For example, I would not plan my Chaina cruise if I would just read the comments over there ... 

Thanks all for the kind words, but the key word here is "community".  I can only do so much and it's thanks to all of you and your helpful assistance (and occasional sense of humor) that truly set the tone for what we do here.  Thank you all for making this such a great spot to chat Royal Caribbean!

It's the old saying--a happy customer tells a friend, an unhappy customer tells ten.  I've seen a few grumpy-pants show up here and start a complaint thread but they often don't respond to any of the regulars trying to help or understand what went wrong for them.  They just wanted to post a complaint and get validation from others piling on, but we're no fun because we won't take the bait.

4 minutes ago, Orange Crush said:

It's the old saying--a happy customer tells a friend, an unhappy customer tells ten.  I've seen a few grumpy-pants show up here and start a complaint thread but they often don't respond to any of the regulars trying to help or understand what went wrong for them.  They just wanted to post a complaint and get validation from others piling on, but we're no fun because we won't take the bait.

Yap , from time to time you have people like that visiting here , I hope it is people and not trolls,  I want to give people the benefits of doubt.

there are some people who just want to complain/share about the horrible experience they had not to get reaction but just to punish the entity they complained about . There are people/trolls who just enjoy throwing key words and see how high the flame will grow (key words like : emotional animals on ships, pinnacles  vs suite guest , gratuity, reserving chairs and more) . what I like with this site that such cases are handled promptly and very politely  

Just now, teddy said:

New member here. Joined after our first cruise.  We found this awesome site shortly before we cruised.  

I love how welcoming people are.  Seems like there's not much of that left on the internet.

Glad to have you here, teddy!

8 minutes ago, Orange Crush said:

I've seen a few grumpy-pants show up here and start a complaint thread

I have to admit to that being one of the things that really gets to me.  When someone's first post is just to complain about something it makes me wonder why.  Why go to the trouble?  When someone joins the day of and posts I can somewhat understand there is still fresh passion and anger, but still, it is not productive.  Worse though is when you see someone has been on a forum for a long time but only post when there is something for them to complain about.  In all those years they never had a question, never had anything to contribute, never even a "thanks for sharing that" to someone.  The moment they feel slighted though, the moment they have something negative to say, that is when the posts get made.  It's especially disappointing when their problem is one that could have been solved by reading or asking something on the very forum they are now throwing out "shame on [company]" and looking for sympathy.

But the irony of me complaining about others complaining is not lost on me, so I will leave it at that.  I have had plenty of disagreements (some a bit heated) with people on this forum but I have a lot of respect for everyone that contributes their knowledge.  My first cruise on Royal went very smoothly thanks to the information I soaked in from everyone here, so I owe a lot to everyone who takes the time to share.

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

Well , not to be all negative (like some other sites ? ) there are also good things on the other sites , like the meet and mingles and dedicated cruise boards and lots of information. 

As any website with recommendations/complains  it need to be handle with grain of salt,  so I read it same as read tripadvisor or such other sites. For example, I would not plan my Chaina cruise if I would just read the comments over there ... 

@TravelerAre you planning a China cruise?  We just got back from Japan in October and was actually in one of the ports the Chinese cruises tend to go to- Fukuoka. It was amazing and we’ve been discussing how amazing an Asian cruise would be since we’ve been back. 

1 hour ago, aprilgwynne said:

@TravelerAre you planning a China cruise?  We just got back from Japan in October and was actually in one of the ports the Chinese cruises tend to go to- Fukuoka. It was amazing and we’ve been discussing how amazing an Asian cruise would be since we’ve been back. 

Yes I am planning a cruise from China to Japan (best of Japan cruise) on the Spectrum of the seas, should be interesting

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

Yap , from time to time you have people like that visiting here , I hope it is people and not trolls,  I want to give people the benefits of doubt.

there are some people who just want to complain/share about the horrible experience they had not to get reaction but just to punish the entity they complained about . There are people/trolls who just enjoy throwing key words and see how high the flame will grow (key words like : emotional animals on ships, pinnacles  vs suite guest , gratuity, reserving chairs and more) . what I like with this site that such cases are handled promptly and very politely  

You forgot one of the biggest... "sharing drink packages" ?

@Matt I think though that every good community starts with a good leader.  Normally a community starts mimicking the leader.  When leadership is positive and welcoming and their energy is contageous and upbeat, the community will reflect that.  If a community's leader is toxic then the community will be toxic.  If the community is critical, reading like a bunch of Yelpers trying to appear to be food critics, then you reap what you sow.

I know when I went to that other site, the reviews of pretty much every cruise line short of something like Viking were crazy critical.  If they didnt get a new and different towel animal every day of their cruise, they'd start screaming that their cruise was RUINED!  Ruined I say!  (I really did see a review of a ship criticizing the towel animal situation)

Being critical can be a good thing.  If something went terribly, by all means say so.  But if your parsley on your dinner in the MDR isnt perfectly placed and you race to customer service demanding a full cruise refund and they refuse because its a silly piece of parsley.... then you're being unreasonable.  If there's raw sewage pouring into your cabin, and the cruise line refuses to move you or fix it or offer something, then yes you're well within reason to criticize.