Baltimore Bridge collapse

The Key Bridge in Baltimore was struck by a cargo ship and collapsed into the water. The whole bridge just fell... some autos and work vehicles were on the bridge. Looks like Vision of the Seas is out for a few days, so I guess we will see if there is any impact or delay in them getting back. Really crazy video of the bridge collapsing....

There is no way that the debris will be cleared by the time they get back. My money is that they will be diverted to NYC or Norfolk and bussed back to Baltimore. 

A tragedy for those few people on the bridge. Luckily it wasn’t during rush hour. Those pilots are going to have a lot of questions to answer. 

That's insane. They're going to have to disembark somewhere else.

Along with the human tragedy, that's going to be a nightmare for months, even years to come for the region.

And while trying to avoid being completely crass about the disaster, a new potentially taller bridge sure makes things interesting for the future of cruising in Baltimore.

Just saw this on the news. Holy Cow how tragic. That cargo ship was really moving too. A friend of mine is a harbor pilot here in Jacksonville and actually was onboard (before his licensure, he was still apprenticing) when a navy ship hit one of our bridges. Luckily minor damage to bridge but it was a massive investigation. 

Those poor souls that perished and are still missing. 😢

12 minutes ago, Ditchdoc said:

A cargo ship took out Key Bridge in Baltimore last night.

Vision cruises out of there. I would check if you are booked in the next week or two. There may be issues.

Existing thread...

Clearly, the first concern is the tragedy for those who were on the bridge and their families. As others have noted, thankfully this was in the middle of the night and not during busy traffic times.

The impact on cruise ships/passengers is nothing compared to the disruption that will be caused to commerce. Baltimore is one of the busiest ports on the East Coast of the U.S. and the loss of the Key Bridge to truck traffic along the I-95 corridor will be very impactful.

This is tragic. The first video I saw clearly showed the ship losing electrical power twice. But it looked to me like she was already not in the channel. I suspect the cascade of events goes back before the power outages seen on the bridge webcam. 

It's a nightmare scenario for everyone involved. There will likely be pressure to clear the debris and open the channel as quickly as possible. I hope they don't do that until they've recovered every person possible. Their families deserve that.

Wonder what type of cargo was in the containers.  Looks like several of them tumbled into the waters!  

Agree with other posters that any human life still unaccounted for should be top priority with determination of what caused this catastrophe next on the list!

Prayers to anyone currently needing them!  🙏 

3 minutes ago, Va4fam said:

Very tragic scenario with loss of multiple lives likely.

Local radio station said the ship reported a loss of propulsion.   Collision was approximately 1:30 AM. 

Even though we live in Virginia, we used that bridge frequently.  

Man that must of been scary for the ship crew too. I mean scary and helpless. ☹️ If they lost power they had no way to navigate the ship and no way to avoid. They saw it coming in slow motion. 😭

@Matt posted an article about it -- https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2024/03/26/royal-caribbean-working-options-its-cruise-ships-following-baltimore-bridge-collapse

Officials were searching for "upwards of seven people," according to the Baltimore City fire chief, James Wallace. Two people have already been rescued, with one declining medical service and the other being transported to a trauma center in serious condition. 

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2024/03/26/royal-caribbean-working-options-its-cruise-ships-following-baltimore-bridge-collapse

RC is a little bit lucky in that they don't need to figure things out ASAP since Vision is on a long cruise.

I would imagine they'll wait a day or two until they get some info from local authorities as to when the port will be able to open again. Obviously having that channel closed is a major problem well beyond cruising, so there will be urgency to get it re-opened.