Gratuities raised

23 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

And I just watched a YouTube video interview with stateroom attendants and it doesn't sound insanely awful. It was something like 7 AM to 12 noon and then 5-9 or something like. It is 7 days a week though but they said they get days off sometimes. They do work hard and deal with a lot of unpleasant things so I'm not minimizing what they do, just saying it doesn't sound like the horror story people like to portray it as. 

Yeah like you would work 63 hours a week minimum 

I agree with those that have expressed disappointment with the changes.  Increasing gratuities is fine (a sign of the times) but when reducing services at the same time it's a recipe for disaster.

Now that former CFO is in charge, expect more of this ......

RCL reported Net Income for the third quarter of $1.0 billion compared to Net Income of $33.0 million or $0.13 per share for the same period in the prior year.

29 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

Yeah like you would work 63 hours a week minimum 

Ok, well of course a snarky comment would come. Did I say anything derogatory about the crew members? I vehemently stick up for the crew at every turn. 

All I said is it's not as horrible as people make it out to be. I work overtime as much as I can and in the winter will get well over 63 hours. I get paid by the hour though, quite different. 

12 minutes ago, RCARD said:

I agree with those that have expressed disappointment with the changes.  Increasing gratuities is fine (a sign of the times) but when reducing services at the same time it's a recipe for disaster.

Now that former CFO is in charge, expect more of this ......

RCL reported Net Income for the third quarter of $1.0 billion compared to Net Income of $33.0 million or $0.13 per share for the same period in the prior year.

Just wait until Liberty starts charging for the “premium” deck chairs (yes, the same deck chairs will be premium). The people will be in an uproar if they are this upset about a paltry $2 increase in daily gratuities! Coming to a theatre near you in Q1 2024 says a birdie I know from the crown palace in Miami. 

Some of my friends here know i love Norwegian, but they are worse ... $20pp/pd for Club balcony and less (including inside) and $25pp/pd for  Suites and Haven. 

What's even worse is some standard Haven "suites" are no larger than Club Balcony and Haven DSC does not include your concierge or butler. 

What's even worse than that, at least on Norwegian, we have a long time friend/employee who told us that she never saw a raise with the increase in DSC.

Norwegian went way bold (also offering less for more $$). But even though i let Batman book our next cruise and it wasn't the way I'd have booked, i am glad he did have enough sense to book when included DSC was a perk. 

Well, this is a hot topic because the drip drip drip is now a regular flow. I wrote a post earlier that may not have posted, so here is a summary:

• It's definitely irritating in an environment where they are taking away services and perks while waiters still make the "give me a ten" pitch. I noticed the recent survey I completed didn't ask about it...I always lied and gave a 10 anyway if an 8 was warranted and I liked the waiter. No more...I won't go to the last night in the MDR any longer so I don't have to hear it...the song and dance is a little old too
  • I would like to see more choice or no choice
    • More choice -- let guests pick how much service they want in their rooms...example 2-5 night sailings can get 1X service, 6-9 night can get 2X service, etc...all in exchange for lower gratuities -- I say this knowing that it's wise for company employee eyes to make sure everything is cool in the staterooms
    • Less choice -- work it into the cruise fare and be done with it
  • RCI is posting record on board sales and this doesn't sit well
  • They may need to re-work the MDR concept or eliminate it entirely and just go for buffet plus more choice with specialty dining

I share the sentiment of many with 🤬

...and to those who are ok with it's only another $28 for a 7 night cruise...ordinarily, I would be with you, but I am drawing the line here, not because I can't afford it, but because the company's timing with and positioning on this is so poor.

I've never prepaid gratuities before, but with this new change, looks like it would be a smart move. 

When I call my TA to prepay gratuities, do I pay right now with my credit card or does it get added to the final payment balance? If I pay right now, is it refundable in case I cancel the cruise later?

I was going through my old paperwork to see how much gratuities have increased since I started cruising. I could only find folio receipts as far back as 2014, when grats were $12pp. I'm guessing any older cruises were using the old envelope method, when you had to prepare cash in separate envelopes for your waiters/room steward. Or I just lost those receipts. I can't remember when the change was made to add gratuities to onboard accounts.

7 minutes ago, jupiter03 said:

When I call my TA to prepay gratuities, do I pay right now with my credit card or does it get added to the final payment balance? If I pay right now, is it refundable in case I cancel the cruise later?

It will get added to your invoice. You don't need to actually pay it now.

If you did pay it, yes it would be refundable.

^^ what mike said, with the caveat being that if your final payment has passed (as it had for our february cruise), you would incur an additional charge from your TA (or royal, depending on how you booked) for the gratuities. 

also i very much appreciate the discussion and views expressed here; i do agree that the timing of this is HELLA sus especially after the announcement of more RECORD BREAKING sales for the last quarter and @Sharla’s point of reduced once a day service, etc.  (i, too, like clean towels twice a day I KNOW ITS NOT GREAT FOR THE ENVIRONMENT 😅😂) something doesn’t fully add up. 

i’m grateful we have so many good and varied viewpoints and that it can all be discussed respectfully 💚💚

Seems like Mr. Liberty is tone deaf and I worry about the long term success of Royal with him at the helm. Why would you release this after just coming out with the news of record profits and making $1B last quarter. I totally get that they lost a crap ton of money during the stupid shutdown and have loans and stuff to pay back. But seriously, maybe do this like 2 months from now instead right after telling everyone how you are swimming in profits and are now going to find a way to take more of their money. 

Using 18% as a tip rate, a $2 increase would cover an increase of just $11 in goods or services. Where I live dining out has increased significantly, leading to bigger tips. I am sure the value of meals and snacks on a cruise has increased at least $11 per person per day. Then there is the value of other services, although some will say that has declined. I am ok with the increase based on just comp food and drinks.

Just my $2 (That is my 2 cents plus inflation).  I have been told by an officer onboard (Whom I will not call out by name or ship) that the reasoning behind RCL not rolling in the Gratuities to a cruise fair is that RCL would be responsible for the taxes both as income and payroll taxes.  Otherwise, calling it a gratuity means no income taxes or Payroll taxes for RCL and lays it solely on the employee to disclose the income and pay taxes on this income.  This alone makes quite a difference for RCL to not claim the income and pay the taxes.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if this was just the officer's opinion or whether he has any knowledge of RCL's tax accounting.  But it makes a bit of sense to me why they would not want to "Roll in" Tips into the cost/profits.

3 hours ago, LandstromCruise said:

Seems like Mr. Liberty is tone deaf and I worry about the long term success of Royal with him at the helm. Why would you release this after just coming out with the news of record profits and making $1B last quarter. I totally get that they lost a crap ton of money during the stupid shutdown and have loans and stuff to pay back. But seriously, maybe do this like 2 months from now instead right after telling everyone how you are swimming in profits and are now going to find a way to take more of their money. 

There is a difference between operating profit and debt. 

2 hours ago, ChessE4 said:

Using 18% as a tip rate, a $2 increase would cover an increase of just $11 in goods or services. Where I live dining out has increased significantly, leading to bigger tips. I am sure the value of meals and snacks on a cruise has increased at least $11 per person per day. Then there is the value of other services, although some will say that has declined. I am ok with the increase based on just comp food and drinks.

Exactly, while I don't think the time was right (just put the cost of the cruise up a few dollars) it's the financial situation the world is in at the moment. It costs me that extra couple of bucks to drive to the store to pay an extra $50 for my groceries. 

While ever tips are expected as a % it only makes sense flat rates rise. 

I have no idea what a base pay is for a cruise ship employee that is part of the tip pool, but with just some conservative simple math, an Oasis class ship with 6,000 passengers is probably about $800,000 in gratuities for a 7 night sailing (blending the regular rooms with suites, less people that remove the tips).  Then say another 1,000 drink packages so that's another $100,000.  Then gratuities on dining packages, say another $100,000.  Is it crazy to say a mostly full Oasis class ship will take in a million dollars in gratuities for a 7 night sailing at least, if not more?  Not counting cash tippers on top of that.  Of the 2,200 crew, how many are in the tip pool, 2,000?  Do gratuities account for more of their pay than salary?  Either way, to me it doesn't seem as much like indentured servitude like people sometimes make it out to be.  And I am with most when I say it won't stop me from going, it's just annoying when services are being reduced.   

17 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Glad to pay it for a hard working crew. A few extra bucks should be no big deal to anyone who is fortunate enough to afford a vacation. At least this increase is for a good cause. 

I agree a few extra bucks is neither here nor there. But do we REALLY know what cause it's actually going to...

1 hour ago, Neesa said:

I just don't understand why the breakdown is such a secret. I asked and this was the response, honestly it is what it is but what is the reasoning behind not allowing the consumer to know. 

Screenshot_20231101_101502_X.jpg

Either Aliyah's secret clearance level isn't high enough to know or yours isn't high enough to disclose to. 🤣

Seriously, IDK why it's such a secret either. When we sailed Disney and Holland, we knew exactly who was getting what. It's an honest question that deserved a better response. 

Amen to that, @SweetPea. I sailed DCL recently and we had little tickets with names and amounts to include departments, so we could see who received what! I'm sure they had a staff meeting right before the announcement of raised gratuity that fed them this line to give lowly people like me, undeserving of knowing where the monies are actually going. I just feel strongly if they were going to crew why not be transparent. Gees!🤦‍♀️

4 minutes ago, Doug_Texas said:

I wonder if TAs are swamped with "pre-pay gratuities" calls and emails today rather than making money booking cruises?  Nov. 11 is a pretty short fuse.

Yes, I'm sure. I called @Sharla right away (as soon as I read the email) to check my status and pay where I needed to, I bet she was swamped!! 

It was just the point of it all. I remember we just had an increase about a year ago. Blessed to sail so there is that!🤑

55 minutes ago, Doug_Texas said:

I wonder if TAs are swamped with "pre-pay gratuities" calls and emails today rather than making money booking cruises?  Nov. 11 is a pretty short fuse.

BUT you have until you actually sail to pre-pay if you are booked, correct? So I don't see the rush in getting it done right now. 

8 hours ago, Xaa said:

Not indentured servitude, but I wouldn't work for $500/week.  Neither would my teenager.  They don't have to, entry level jobs pay higher.  My local Sheetz is paying $640/week and I promise you don't want those folks in and out of your cabin.

Employees get room and board.  Sheets employees are paying rent and food.  Big difference.,

1 hour ago, Sea Squirrel said:

Does anyone know if CK staff gets a cut of the auto-gratuities? Also curious if the 18% for specialty goes into the overall AG pool or is it split amongst the staff in the specific restaurant. 

I always thought that's part of the extra in suites gratuity. To pay the dedicated staff involved with those perks.