What's a shore excursion you'll never do again?

Matt

Anything in Ensenada. I enjoyed my tequila tasting, and if I spoke Spanish it could be a fun town to drink in, but that port is a PVSA port and nothing else.

Coco Cay Beach Club. I got it at a good price coming out of covid, but with prices now, you're doing nothing but severely overpaying for a lobster sandwich.

Ruins Tours in Mexico. Great tour guide, but that's definitely a one and done tour. But not because it was bad, just because it's a been there done that. Like Stonehenge if anyone has been there.

Fortunately I don't have any terrible excursion stories.

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

Is there a place or particular shore excursion you tried and wont do again?

Would love to hear which one, why, and what made it so bad.

If there are any someone else has posted, please chime in too!

In Corsica we took a Royal tour that involved bus and walking.  The guide talked way too much at each stop, and about the time we returned to the city center the local market was closed for the day.  Had we gone on our own, we would have seen most of the same sights and enjoyed the market.

Did a walking tour in Nuuk, Greenland.  The guide was awful.
She would pull up in front of a statue, plop her clipboard and bag down on the statue and start to talk while standing in front of it.
She did not anwer any questions, or if she did it wasn't the question asked.
She sang, in her native language-beautiful voice- but it was odes to her deceased parents.  
I couldn't tell you anything about the area, but I could tell you about her family.
Sadly this was a once in a lifetime trip.....

Anything involving horseback riding on the beach (in the water). As you can imagine, the guide in position # 1 in line is the only one who gets through the water w/o excessive amounts of horse urine and poopie all over their legs. Really kinda gross and I highly advise you avoid at all costs. 

16 minutes ago, Rfk said:

If I’m ever on a ship that parks at Nassau, we’re not getting off the ship. 

I was at one point in the same camp but recently tried Pearl island and also the catamaran snorkeling tour (w/ open bar) and I would definitely do it again. Like many people, we have been to Nassau 100+ times and get tired of the downtown, the pushy locals and trips to Atlantis. This was a pleasant change. 

Open-air, double-decker bus around St. Marten. Tour started about 40 min. late, and we were all standing in the sun waiting and wondering what was going on. The guide at the front of the bus narrated the tour, but only the folks on the top level could hear her.  It took a couple of stops before they got it fixed.  Maho Beach was the only interesting stop on the tour, and we didn't get to stay there long.  Ugh, never again!

The hop-on hop-off bus tour in Cartegena Colombia!  It included several stops and a guided walking tour of the famous walled city.  Sounded great.  The walking tour was fine, but traffic was so heavy that we didn't feel comfortable getting off the bus for fear of missing the ship.  This proved to be a good call.  We made it back to the ship with less than 30 minutes before all aboard time.  What a disappointment!

In St. Lucia my family took a waterfall hike and private beach excursion that turned into a disaster.  So bad, I doubt it is still offered.  It started off fine with a stop in a fishing village. Then we went on the hike back to a beautiful waterfall.  I felt uneasy when there was a sign warning against climbing on the falls, but the guide encouraged everyone to do so.  My son was one of the climbers and had an unfortunate accident ending with a broken leg.  The guide was no help. My son limped back to the truck, but there was one more stop at the beach.  Since the tour description said they would shuttle people back to the ship early if desired, I asked if they would do that.  The answer was no.  Once back at the ship, the guide simply dropped us off at the entrance to the port. Once again, my son had to limp to the ship to get proper treatment.  I can't imagine that Royal Caribbean still offers this excursion, but I've never really heard anything once we were back on board.

That's it for my horror stories.  I've had some incredible experiences with Royal's shore excursions. But then, I've had a couple that I wish I had missed!

1 minute ago, BeachGal said:

Open-air, double-decker bus around St. Marten. Tour started about 40 min. late, and we were all standing in the sun waiting and wondering what was going on. The guide at the front of the bus narrated the tour, but only the folks on the top level could hear her.  It took a couple of stops before they got it fixed.  Maho Beach was the only interesting stop on the tour, and we didn't get to stay there long.  Ugh, never again!

I'm sorry you had such unfortunate luck. 

The first time I was in St. Maarten I met a cab driver (Ramone in cab 222) who was awesome. Very friendly and really wanted to show us the island.  When I returned a few months later with my family, he gave us a custom, in depth tour of the whole island.  It took 3 hours and hit all of the highlights including Maho Beach and Orient beach.  It was a bargain at $300 for 6 passengers in a nice, clean spacious van. That tour is still a highlight of our cruising experience.

Anything on Labadee. I loathe Labadee in general: we did the sip and paint and thought one drink for a 90min excursion was a rip-off. 

The Hop on, Hop off in Key West was also a bit lackluster. 

I also second the Beach club, I personally think the food is some of the worst I have ever eaten. The marinade on the steak makes it inedible imho. 

I also think Atlantis on Nassau is far too expensive for what you get. 

9 hours ago, teddy said:

Tulum from Cozumel

The ruins were amazing but it was a long day going from the island.  

Agreed!  It was absolutely gorgeous and I'm glad we had the opportunity to see them.  However, the "gentle ferry ride" was anything but, followed by the hour plus long bus drive to and from with a lunch of a warm tuna pack and pop was less than stellar.  I understand it's a bit of a drive but it did make a long day.  Not to mention, the bus driver forgot all our documentation in the bus when we got to the ruins.  This resulted in another delay before we could get in and then that shortened our time to walk around.  But again, thankful we got to at least say we got to see it!

I would throw a warning around the phrase 'Small group' as not sure RCI's definition of 'small' is the same as other people's!!

Booked the 'small group' on Explorer for Dubrovnik, which was cable car and guided tour of old town. Expected a small van/minibus and about 10 to 12 people, hoped to be getting off first and reduced waiting times etc etc. Ended up on a full size coach with about 25 people. We were 2nd or 3rd bus to the cable car so waited about 20-30 minutes to go up - not a major problem and well worth it for the views, but not quite the small group experience you would hope for!

Was a decent tour, but for about $100 each not what we expected based on the description.

If go to Dubrovnik again will just get local bus or taxi to old town and pay to do the walls as there was not enough time to do that with our 'free time' on the group tour.

9 hours ago, Rfk said:

I think people get carried away with this, especially since the port is brand new and really nice now. I get if you don't want to get out and wander the city, but at least check out the updated, MUCH nicer port 

Humm ... been trying to think of something that was really bad ... nothing comes to mind.

We tend to stick with scenic and water related or party boat tours. There have been a few where we got a little uncomfortable due to weather, rough terrain and so on. A lot of it comes down to being willing to "rough it" just a little and being prepared. I mean, if you go kayaking in Nova Scotia in October with a lobster cook out on the beach then flip flops, shorts and a T shirt are probably not going to work.

10 hours ago, BeachGal said:

Take a cab next time directly to Maho and spend some time at the Sunset bar. This is the way to do Maho beach.

14 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Take a cab next time directly to Maho and spend some time at the Sunset bar. This is the way to do Maho beach.

Yeah, that is what we did - had a great time, enjoyed all the planes coming in and the restaurant there has decent food.

We also took a walk into town to go to the Yoda (Star Wars) museum which was very cool. No need for special excursion on St Marteen

12 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Most ports have "no need" but it depends what you want to do there. I can't do my favorite excursion there without a packing a large speedboat.

Agree, especially in St Maarten. The beach by the downtown area within walking distance of the ship is great (especially with a bucket of beer from Big Baastards beach bar on Front Street)!

46 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

If I had my choice, that's what I would have done from the get-go, but I did not choose this excursion. I could have happily spent an afternoon at a bar overlooking Maho Beach.

10 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Agree, especially in St Maarten. The beach by the downtown area within walking distance of the ship is great (especially with a bucket of beer from Big Baastards beach bar on Front Street)!

We're not beach people but I've toured the island by car (LONG time ago) and boat (which includes stopping at a remote beach or two) and it's beautiful so I have no doubt it's a great place for a beach day.

As amazing and incredible Peggy's cove is I don't think we would do that excursion again. It was a super long bus ride and holy cow was it crowded. We were very late getting back to the ship but I will say this, it was a double excursion though. It was Peggy's cove and the Titanic cemetery together. That made it too long. Maybe next time we will just do Peggy's cove. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Besides the lengthy commute times, did you encounter the infamous puke inducing experience the ferry is known for?

The day we went was choppy but didn’t bother my wife or I.  We rode up top.  
She did say that she saw some queasy people when she went below to go to the bathroom.  

Ship sponsored excursion in Mykonos; we took a bus to Kalafatis Beach for about a 15 min stop and a second stop in Ano Mera to see the church and square. While it was cool to see where people actually live on the island, the excursion wasn’t worth it when Chora, the old town, is right where the tender or shuttle boat drops you off and is easily navigable on your own. 

Snorkel excursions in Cabo. We’ve done these twice and while it’s fun on the boat, there’s just not that much to see when you’re actually snorkeling. We’ve snorkeled just about everywhere, and there is certainly no need to do it on the Pacific coast (unless, of course, its going to be your only chance to do so anywhere). 

Zipline tour in Victoria, BC when they ship doesn’t dock til 5pm. It gets dark while you’re going through the zip course and you’ll need to use a headlamp and miss all the spectacular mountain/basin views. 

Where’s the thread for excursion must-tries?! If you’re ever docked long enough in Falmouth or Montego Bay, Jamaica, you absolutely MUST go on Rastasafari in Roaring River (near Petersfield in Saint James Parish). Absolute best shore excursion I’ve ever been on!! We drove our own 4-wheeler through the countryside, stopping to swim in crystal clear rivers and jump from bridges! Amazing. 

Probably won't book scuba through Royal again. I've always felt either rushed or on an overcrowded dive boat. There was one dive in Cozumel where another person (beginner diver) on the excursion got sea sick and hurled over the boat while hugging my gear. I liked that a lot. 😐 Scuba at PDCC?...don't even bother. It's an awful shore dive.

I've done third party a few times, and it's always better.

16 hours ago, Rfk said:

We always get off. Walk around a bit, grab a few beers at Pirate Republic, and get out of the touristy area for some conch. 

17 hours ago, teddy said:

Tulum from Cozumel

The ruins were amazing but it was a long day going from the island.  

Tulum is the definition of someplace that should be its own destination, not something tacked on to a cruise 

15 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Anything on Labadee. I loathe Labadee in general: we did the sip and paint and thought one drink for a 90min excursion was a rip-off. 

Labadee is actually home of our favorite ever cruise excursion...take a boat 30ish minutes away to a small little island and float in the water for hours with endless rum punch and Prestige beer. My wife and I still talk about it 10ish years later. 

The ATV jungle tour in Cozumel,  though it would be fun some friends that were with us had never been on ATV's.   The so called "jungle" we rode through,  felt like I was riding in my back yard in Texas, nothing jungle about it.   The ATV's themselves were fine, well used, but no issues with them,  just nothing worth seeing while riding them.

16 hours ago, BeachGal said:

Open-air, double-decker bus around St. Marten. 

Did the double decker tour this past April from the lower deck of a bus at the rear. Weather was hideous; temp in the mid 90's and triple digit heat index. The one day I forgo a long sleeve sunscreen shirt and my arms got incinerated. Then there was the tour. Unimaginative, recorded narration, unlimited diesel exhaust. Maho Beach was a disappointment, all the commercial air traffic materialized after we left. The highlight was the skill exhibited by the driver navigating the kamikaze traffic. Felt like we were back home in Florida...............

1 hour ago, Zacharius said:

Labadee is actually home of our favorite ever cruise excursion...take a boat 30ish minutes away to a small little island and float in the water for hours with endless rum punch and Prestige beer. My wife and I still talk about it 10ish years later. 

That sounds fun but I have had enough of Labadee that even if it was available, I wouldn't partake. 

2 hours ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

Did the double decker tour this past April from the lower deck of a bus at the rear. Weather was hideous; temp in the mid 90's and triple digit heat index. The one day I forgo a long sleeve sunscreen shirt and my arms got incinerated. Then there was the tour. Unimaginative, recorded narration, unlimited diesel exhaust. Maho Beach was a disappointment, all the commercial air traffic materialized after we left. The highlight was the skill exhibited by the driver navigating the kamikaze traffic. Felt like we were back home in Florida...............

Your experience was very similar to ours.  Fortunately, we were able to catch a couple of landings at Maho Beach.

14 hours ago, ScottD said:

I think people get carried away with this, especially since the port is brand new and really nice now. I get if you don't want to get out and wander the city, but at least check out the updated, MUCH nicer port 

Having not visited the "old" port in Nassau, when I was there for the first time a few weeks ago, I can't tell you how many people I walked by that just kept saying (with wonder in their voices) "it's so NICE! it's BEAUTIFUL! this is SO much better than before!" so now I'm incredibly curious what it was like before. 😉

I agree here - just explore the new port area. It's really beautiful. I was amazed at how clean and nice the restrooms were!