Cruising during a pandemic - is it still safe and fun?

19 minutes ago, baltodave said:

I agree with all the comments about being initially safe on ships since everyone is vaxed and tested.  Is there a concern with guests who get off at ports, exposed to the virus and then coming back on the ships?

Unless you go visit a crowded indoor venue with no ventilation, there should be no concern.

Totally comfortable with my first cruise back this last week.  I felt more safe on board than I have at any point at my job in the last two years.  On the 1st cruise for Navigator, I thought Royal did a great job of following guidelines.  We noticed a handful of people who were not willing to mask-up, but it was quickly addressed.

I am currently at Coco Cay finishing my 2nd cruise back  on Freedom at 80% capacity or so depending on who you ask.  We feel safe with the protocols but also make choices based on our comfort level. 

We have left a number of elevators when 10 plus people decide to crowd on ignoring the signs for five max.  Also about 80% mask inside while walking but not sure if the others are indifferent or ignorant of the protocols. 

Yes, I know it's safer than many other land options but people make the choice to cruise based on what the published protocols are. It would be great if everyone followed what we all signed on for. 

I will agree with pretty much everyone's reply. I just got off the Anthem OTS. My family and I felt very safe with the protocols. Cruising is different, but I will say that it is still fun. There are some few annoying portocol issues that RCL still needs to improve upon. As a parent that had to get my kids tested prior to boarding I would say that If RCL could play something entertaining on the screen that would of helped. I would also say that due to the wait for test results, I would come prepared with things to do and snacks to eat while waiting. At Bayonne, there were alot of hangry children including my own. I think next time I will make sure that our carry on has a snack  and something to keep the kiddos occupied while waiting. 

RCL also has really kept their ships clean. Every time I take the stairs I have seen the staff wiping down the railings.

The only time I felt uncomfortable was when a group decided that they just had to get on a pretty full elevator. I didn't mind the influx of people, but what I did mind was that the group decided to take off their mask as soon as their whole group entered the elevator. This really isn't an RCL issue, its more of a people issue.