The Passport Game

On 8/6/2021 at 7:05 PM, Wilson said:

That's awesome @Sharla! Was the online status updated as the process went along? If you registered an email, did you get updates or did passport just appear?

I didn't even have a chance to check the status. The paper we got said to start checking the status in 4 weeks so I never even bothered. It just appeared one day, never got an email or anything.

On 8/14/2021 at 7:22 AM, Vagolferbob said:

I wonder if the turnaround time is influenced by when you said you needed it.

I wondered about that. I wrote 10/01/2021 on there for Indy sailing. However I booked 09/27/2021 Mariner yesterday, thank you @AnnetteJackson, so need it a bit sooner. LoL

9 minutes ago, Pam W said:

My son's came regular mail, no signature required. No email, no notice. 

Thanks! Got an email saying my passport is being printed and I'll get it next week. Just wanted to make sure the mail person doesn't leave it at my door step. 

Simple adult renewal, didn't expedite as promised times were normal back then, mailed May 7th, check cashed June 7th and went to IN PROCESS status until approved last Friday the 13th of August and was received in today's mail.  So a mere 100 days or 14 weeks plus a smidge....  ?

UPDATE

Grandson's passport arrived on Monday August 16th.  27 days total from the day we had our appointment at the PO.

Its a new passport, he's never had one before and we did pay the expedite fee.

Can't believe the difference in processing times for a passport.  And there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the process.

His mother had her appointment at the PO on August 4th and as of yesterday it says processing so we shall see how long it is for her to get it.  she also is getting a first time passport.  I wonder if because he is a child it somehow is a faster process?  

On 7/23/2021 at 3:44 PM, KWong said:

So for comparison's sake, I just did a Canadian passport renewal for my younger daughter, and UK renewals for my wife and older daughter.

For the Canadian passport, I walked into a Service Canada location on July 20. They said that the new passport should be delivered to us by Aug 25. I'll update when I get it.

For the UK passports, I did the application online + sent the digital photo. As there is no rush for these passports, I sent via registered mail on July 22. They are currently in transit to the UK.

My older daughter just got her UK passport today. Application was July 20, mailed from Canada to the UK on July 22, and just received via DHL today (Aug 17). So exactly 4 weeks, which seems pretty good for a non-expidited overseas application.

Meanwhile, my wife's was just approved so I should see it next week.

As for the younger daughter's, nothing yet.

I should also note that HM Passport Office has been emailing every time we've gotten a step further in the process. Radio silence from Passports Canada. Definitely like the UK process better.

I haven't had a passport for 20 years so went to send mine in and at that time it still said 6-8 weeks.  As it is flying through the air to land on the desk at the passport agency the website now says 18 weeks! My cruise is on Sept 26.  Dummy me did not pay for expedited.  Thankfully per RCCL website as long as I have my certified birth certificate and drivers license I am good. ?  

51 minutes ago, Cakemeister said:

My wife sent hers in on June 7. She thought she had "plenty of time" before our September 5 sailing. She thinks that Royal will let her cruise with a birth certificate and driver's license. Is that true?

As long as it's leaving from the US and coming back to the US, yes.

Mailed my kids passports to be renewed on July 20th. (Being minors under 16 we had to go in person to the post office ect like a new passport.) Paid for expedited and we recieved their new passports in the mail on Monday, just one day shy of 4 weeks. Of course, now that our late October cruise on Radiance is cancelled so we won’t need them until early next year…At least we are ready for the next 5 years now. 

On 8/17/2021 at 6:35 PM, wozswoman said:

I haven't had a passport for 20 years so went to send mine in and at that time it still said 6-8 weeks.  As it is flying through the air to land on the desk at the passport agency the website now says 18 weeks! My cruise is on Sept 26.  Dummy me did not pay for expedited.  Thankfully per RCCL website as long as I have my certified birth certificate and drivers license I am good. ?  

We’re also on this sailing.  When we booked, I hadn’t received my boys’ passports yet so I confirmed with the RC agent on the phone that it was a closed loop sailing and a certified birth certificate would work for them.  Adults also needed their driver’s license.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 1:39 PM, KWong said:

My older daughter just got her UK passport today. Application was July 20, mailed from Canada to the UK on July 22, and just received via DHL today (Aug 17). So exactly 4 weeks, which seems pretty good for a non-expidited overseas application.

Meanwhile, my wife's was just approved so I should see it next week.

As for the younger daughter's, nothing yet.

I should also note that HM Passport Office has been emailing every time we've gotten a step further in the process. Radio silence from Passports Canada. Definitely like the UK process better.

So I forgot to update this. My wife's UK passport arrived Aug 25 via DHL. Meanwhile my daughter's Canadian passport was delivered by standard mail, also on the 25th (exactly when they said I would get it). So just over 5 weeks for both.

Conclusion: the difference in non-expedited processing times between Canada, the UK and US is nuts. If you absolutely need a Canadian passport in 2 weeks, pay for the expedited service. Otherwise, don't bother.

And the UK gets top marks for being able to do the majority of the application online.