Royal Caribbean Blog

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally, as promised, a recap of Schiffstester Matthias Morr's conclusion video: - Boarding times were enforced (usually TUI Cruises doesn't assign boarding times). Masks had to be worn in the te

Sorry, also meant to comment on this in the prior post. I disagree strongly that the AIDA Explorer Dream cruise is the more important one to watch, purely speaking as an American in a country that's e

Were the passengers compliant with this overall? Any pictures or description in his review of passengers who chose the face shield option, particularly as it was not provided and they'd have to bring

Posted Images

1 hour ago, rjac said:

Legs and arms,:27_sunglasses: too 

It is important to note that this is overseas. Which has a drastically different approach to mitigation than the entire US. I'm sure its be a good idea for countries which have mitigated this successfully like Japan Korea and Canada. I'm confident cruising will resume up here in 2021. 

Let's hope this will be us soon. I'll go on a scenic cruise. Anybody else?  @Matt, do I hear a group cruise if this becomes an option from U.S. ports? BTW, RCCL has stake in TUI.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23286-1-200-passengers-are-back-on-a-cruise-ship.html?fbclid=IwAR0SbcIupla0YMN35bBzrYsWS7HtGHs8YQ98VICGc9JQ8BF1scvtHrFuqlY

2 hours ago, bretts173 said:

Not starting well. 10 out of 750 crew tested positive after testing negative leaving their country.

http://crew-center.com/10-crew-members-aida-cruises-test-positive-covid-19?fbclid=IwAR0N94ctuFDGqHYClnXNMz5_3D2Z9GZOIpDmHaQaEW2LtWV8V2tjBoPzfDk

I wonder if the same test was used in the home country as was used in Germany. 

We all know the testing can be suspect. That’s an issue. 

3 hours ago, bretts173 said:

Not starting well. 10 out of 750 crew tested positive after testing negative leaving their country.

http://crew-center.com/10-crew-members-aida-cruises-test-positive-covid-19?fbclid=IwAR0N94ctuFDGqHYClnXNMz5_3D2Z9GZOIpDmHaQaEW2LtWV8V2tjBoPzfDk

Just for clarification, I don't believe this is the same cruise that @SpeedNoodles was referencing. Unfortunate, nonetheless.

There has been discussion on this board about the cruise ship being the itinerary versus the actual itinerary ports. I'm all for one of the newer ships being the itinerary with a reduced price drink package and reduced price unlimited dining package. Fun, fun, fun 'til the CDC takes the cruising awaaay! :3_grin:

17 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Dipping their nautical toes into the water:

The article mentioned the reduced capacity, but did not mention if the passenger target was met.

Did it sail with the intended number of guests? I’m very curious as to it being “fully” sold... which would be a good indicator of there being enough demand for “blue” cruises at this time.

5 hours ago, bretts173 said:

Here’s the crux of the problem: 
Crew members are determined to not be infected when they leave home. Assuming testing is done 24hrs or slightly more before departure, a journey is traveled with multiple legs & points of exposure on the way (domestic + international, front door to port.) The virus infects on the way, with an incubation period of 2-3+ days (minimum), then there’s an eventual positive test once the virus load becomes detectable. By this time, that person has already been infectious themselves for at least a couple of days.

The virus can be brought onboard the ship by crew (or passengers) before it can be detected with pre-travel testing, or a simple set of screening questions and a temperature check during embarkation. Arriving crew members can, and will be, quarantined & tested on embarkation, but what about the passengers??

1 hour ago, GrandmaAirplane said:

The virus can be brought onboard the ship by crew (or passengers) before it can be detected with pre-travel testing, or a simple set of screening questions and a temperature check during embarkation. Arriving crew members can, and will be, quarantined & tested on embarkation, but what about the passengers??

This is where mask wearing becomes critical. I would expect that all crew, during their travels and after boarding, are required to wear masks at all times when not in their cabins. I'd also expect the crew / staff mess to be run at reduced max capacity, serving mostly grab-and-go meals to bring back to their cabins, at least for the first couple of weeks they're on board.

Since it's shown that spread from an infected to uninfected person is less than 1% chance if both are wearing masks, this nearly eliminates the risk of ship-wide spread among the staff. Meanwhile, they get tested daily using rapid-response tests, so infected crew can quickly be isolated and contact tracing done. Assuming all crew are brought on board at least 2 weeks ahead of first sailing, that's enough time to ensure the crew is fully cleared for work. Any who get sick after they first board can be disembarked and transferred to another ship when they recover.

I don't know how realistically this part could be done, given that many areas still lack enough tests for the local populations. And a good part of the ship's storage is going to be taken up with masks for the crew to change out daily. But if cruising is going to resume during this time, that's just the bare bones of what has to be done before passenger 1 gets on board, IMO.

For passengers, the airlines have now (finally) set the precedent; Delta and American have both now openly stated that if someone refuses to wear a mask the entire time they're on board, they're not allowed to fly and will be black-listed from flights on that airline until the pandemic is cleared. More airlines will follow suit, and that gives the cruise lines all the justification they need to say the same. Obviously with some modifications -- masks can be taken off while in their cabin, after sitting down at their table to eat (with all tables spaced at least 7 or 8 feet apart to allow for unobstructed movement), and a few other public spaces like the pool or Solarium. But the theater should IMO require masks the whole time, being an enclosed space with air conditioning where you sit for at least 45 minutes (up to 2 hours for a Broadway show). Some other areas may require the same. If any passenger doesn't want to do that, they don't get to board; and if they're found in violation after embarkation, they get confined to quarters and disembarked at the next port. True zero-tolerance policy.

Sorry, but that's the only way I can even begin to see this having any chance of coming through without another PR disaster for the cruise lines and a permanent shutdown of cruising until a vaccine is delivered and at least 80% of the world's population has been given it.

1 minute ago, Jill said:

For those on Facebook, here’s a first hand account on what it’s like along with pics. For those not on Facebook, I’ll post text here. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RoyalCaribbeanCrownAnchor/?ref=share

The new hygienic concept is working. But only because ship is on half capacity. Chairs at the pool are two meters apart and buffet restaurant is open but no self service. Silver is sealed for single use. You can’t even grab a coffee by yourself. Everything takes a lot more time. But at least back on a cruise ship. Mein Schiff 2 sealing from Hamburg in the North Sea with no stop. It’s TUI Cruises which belongs to 50% to Royal. So hopefully Miami is watching.

4 minutes ago, Jill said:

The new hygienic concept is working. But only because ship is on half capacity. Chairs at the pool are two meters apart and buffet restaurant is open but no self service. Silver is sealed for single use. You can’t even grab a coffee by yourself. Everything takes a lot more time. But at least back on a cruise ship. Mein Schiff 2 sealing from Hamburg in the North Sea with no stop. It’s TUI Cruises which belongs to 50% to Royal. So hopefully Miami is watching.

**masks in elevators and hallways

F2D883BC-DC73-4CC0-AEA2-B7D550FFCADB.jpeg

A0892A7B-CDB2-42B4-8269-D17A1DF7B116.jpeg

24EE863E-66C4-4D08-96D8-A5307391A478.jpeg

C52EE292-2E0C-42F8-A240-71BF94AFA86A.jpeg

7E0F181A-D8ED-49BA-8846-51862F75A1D5.jpeg

BC4D8FE2-DA8C-49E1-A092-26AF82BA8F08.jpeg

19 hours ago, JLMoran said:

........................Sorry, but that's the only way I can even begin to see this having any chance of coming through without another PR disaster for the cruise lines and a permanent shutdown of cruising until a vaccine is delivered and at least 80% of the world's population has been given it.

Thanks for this insight, JLMorgan and thanks Crisgold52 for directing me here after my post today in the other thread.

I wonder, as others here have, what the actual demand for a cabin on these early cruises in Germany is. I also wonder how TUI is handling crew that might justifiably refuse to return to work - an issue that happens often in the US. As well, what are the profit margins, if any, for each TUI sailing? I do think that TUI will purposely operate a cruise at a loss in order to test and demonstrate effective protocols, at least at first. 

If I'm reading the available information correctly, the concept of creating a ship board "bubble," modified of course to fit shipboard circumstances, with all the implications for doing that is at play here. So, this is probably the model going forward. Again, I question demand for such cruises with these strict mitigation protocols in place.

I'll go!😎 

On 7/25/2020 at 5:32 AM, bretts173 said:

Have they commented on the big question?  What if someone(s) tests positive?  Will the ship be quarantined at sea?  Or maybe it's different for the TUI ship, but overall, that will be a factor when Royal starts up again and how they handle it.

On 7/25/2020 at 3:32 AM, bretts173 said:

What does Aida have to do with TUI?  Completely different ship and cruise line.