Popcorn $$

I sailed on Symphony of the Seas on July 9th out of Rome and was totally appalled that they changed $2.50 for an incredibly small box of popcorn, also charged me $75.00 for a towel that I returned  I actually saw the charge on my final bill which I had to contact the cruise line for and finally received on August 10 - over a month after I sailed  Royal Caribbeans customer service lacks service    This is not my only problem with the cruise line and spans 2 cruises  After several complaints and endless hold time and hours on the phone can only summarize that I will never sail Royal again and advise all to sail with them at your own peril

Sorry sailor 

$25 is the standard charge for a pool towel. Always check your final bill (you can see it on your app) the last evening and if there is anything amiss you go to customer service immediately to have it corrected. Once off the ship it is difficult to have items disputed or refunded in a timely manner. Over the many cruises we have had there have been only a couple of times that there was a problem. We have had more problems with the other cruise lines than Royal which is why we prefer them.

Charging for Popcorn 👎👎 it’s hard to check charges when they did not show up until I called to request them when my charge hit my card 4 weeks later. I have sailed most of the cruise lines and have always received my statement the night before disembarking. There were other major problems on both Alaska and Mediterranean cruise the last two years. So not harsh just really disappointing. I spent 5 hours on hold last year due to a charge mistake where they threatened to cancel my cruise. So I have moved on to Virgin voyages for next year. 

Why do people drop in just to complain and tell us how they will not cruise RCL.  I would not mind if they were here for help or sharing wisdom but the popcorn, really?  When I was on the ship, I went over to get some popcorn and seen there was a charge and made a decision that I did not want popcorn enough to pay for it.  As far as the bill,  

1. You can see your bill on the TV in your cabin.
  2. You can see your bill on the RCL app.
  3. You can stop by customer service anytime and get a copy of your bill.

I watch my bill every day and make sure I am not charged for something I should not.  if there is an issue, I call the ships customer service and they fix it.

13 minutes ago, Traveling Mike said:

Why do people drop in just to complain and tell us how they will not cruise RCL.  I would not mind if they were here for help or sharing wisdom but the popcorn, really?  When I was on the ship, I went over to get some popcorn and seen there was a charge and made a decision that I did not want popcorn enough to pay for it.  As far as the bill,  

1. You can see your bill on the TV in your cabin.
  2. You can see your bill on the RCL app.
  3. You can stop by customer service anytime and get a copy of your bill.

I watch my bill every day and make sure I am not charged for something I should not.  if there is an issue, I call the ships customer service and they fix it.

Guess you are smarter than I am .  I have never really questioned trivial things like this  but there were bigger issues with Royal Caribbean that I have not posted  I have since retracted this mistake an apologize for my mistakes for not paying attention to the small print  thanks for your formatting worlder traveling knowledge 

Not got nothing. When do pool towels show up as not returned?  I traveled with my son a few months ago and suspected the towel count was not in my favor the last night, especially since there was a pool  towel in our cabin.  When I inquired at the pool they said there were 2 out.  I returned the one and told them the other must be an error.  They removed it.  There was nothing on the folio when I went to them, quite late the last night, to address this.  Had we just returned one towel we would eventually have incurred a charge for towel#2.

Yeah, the popcorn thing, agree to the price and get it or don't.  The towels and it would be 3 they were charged for is a sloppy system of their own creation.  They are often incorrect in their count.  Now they do put a slip on your bed the last night if they believe that you have some out.  They aren't reliable with the give and take of the towels.  That system should be done away with or improved.  Display the towel count to the cruiser when they take or return towels.  Display it in the app and on the TV.  Timestamp the towel takes and towel returns for audit.

I agree that charging for popcorn is silly.  After all, if you fill up on popcorn, then you won't fill up on more expensive food.  Therefore, it is in Royal's best interest to have you eat popcorn.  Alas, they don't see it that way.

As far as the towel charge, I always check my bill the morning on disembarkation and again just before departing the ship.  One time, a towel charge appeared on that final check. It was very annoying, but I went to guest services and had it resolved very quickly.  Lesson learned: you can never check your folio too many times!

19 hours ago, Arlene Waters said:

Guess you are smarter than I am .  I have never really questioned trivial things like this  but there were bigger issues with Royal Caribbean that I have not posted  I have since retracted this mistake an apologize for my mistakes for not paying attention to the small print  thanks for your formatting worlder traveling knowledge 

I am more interested in the “bigger issues”. What happened??

I always check the TV and my app the night before leaving a cruise for my bill.  And check it every couple days while on cruise.  Then you can also check the morning before you leave ship in several places.  Even though we have it on our app, but also take a photo of the bill the morning before we leave.  

On 8/18/2023 at 2:08 AM, Arlene Waters said:

I sailed on Symphony of the Seas on July 9th out of Rome and was totally appalled that they changed $2.50 for an incredibly small box of popcorn, also charged me $75.00 for a towel that I returned  I actually saw the charge on my final bill which I had to contact the cruise line for and finally received on August 10 - over a month after I sailed  Royal Caribbeans customer service lacks service    This is not my only problem with the cruise line and spans 2 cruises  After several complaints and endless hold time and hours on the phone can only summarize that I will never sail Royal again and advise all to sail with them at your own peril

Sorry sailor 

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointing experience with Royal Caribbean during your cruise on the Symphony of the Seas.

On 8/18/2023 at 3:40 PM, steverk said:

I agree that charging for popcorn is silly.  After all, if you fill up on popcorn, then you won't fill up on more expensive food.  Therefore, it is in Royal's best interest to have you eat popcorn.  Alas, they don't see it that way.

My best guess is that they charge for popcorn because it is a super messy food. Imagine the mess if there would be a FREE popcorn stand in front of a show venue! 🙈

2.50$ reduces popcorn eaters (and the mess) by like 98 %. 😅 Still, those who really want popcorn are able to get it with a quite nominal fee.

I saw the popcorn thing on Allure, reminded me of RyanAir wanting to charge for in flight toilets. That and with all other cutbacks, would rather just pay a few extra bucks on cruise ticket than be nicked and dimed for week. Would love to hear of any other main stream cruise lines that aren't like this, have tried NCL, HA, and MSC so far. We are Diamond with Royal but open to change.

10 hours ago, Heymarco said:

I saw the popcorn thing on Allure, reminded me of RyanAir wanting to charge for in flight toilets. That and with all other cutbacks, would rather just pay a few extra bucks on cruise ticket than be nicked and dimed for week. Would love to hear of any other main stream cruise lines that aren't like this, have tried NCL, HA, and MSC so far. We are Diamond with Royal but open to change.

Disney doesn't charge for popcorn at their onboard theater; or, at least, that's what I've heard. That's a lot of popcorn for the differences in fares between everyone listed and DCL though.

I think Royal charges for popcorn because they can. High profit at low cost. It's cheaper and less labor intensive versus pizza, and Sorrento's is included.

Would everyone be happier if popcorn wasn't available versus Royal charging for it?

11 hours ago, Heymarco said:

Would love to hear of any other main stream cruise lines that aren't like this, have tried NCL, HA, and MSC so far. We are Diamond with Royal but open to change.

I think you'll have to go to a true luxury line, like Silversea, to get away from the upcharges. Of course, you'll pay much more for one of those!

I've sailed Royal, Celebrity, Carnival, NCL and Princess.  All of them had upselling. The more "premium" brands of Celebrity and Princess had less, but still annoying.

5 hours ago, Rackham said:

Would everyone be happier if popcorn wasn't available versus Royal charging for it?

It's not the popcorn itself, it's just the experience. It's the same reason I don't fly discount airlines. I like to pick my seat, carry on a bag, etc without being asked to swipe every 5 seconds. Just give me the full price and I'll pay.

On 8/21/2023 at 1:54 PM, Rayma said:

My best guess is that they charge for popcorn because it is a super messy food. Imagine the mess if there would be a FREE popcorn stand in front of a show venue! 🙈

2.50$ reduces popcorn eaters (and the mess) by like 98 %. 😅 Still, those who really want popcorn are able to get it with a quite nominal fee.

This is 100% why they charge for popcorn, according to F&B manager.  And, for what it's worth, Disney charges for popcorn too unless you're in a suite (which, as you may know, is not cheap!!)

2 hours ago, Uncwmark said:

This is 100% why they charge for popcorn, according to F&B manager.  And, for what it's worth, Disney charges for popcorn too unless you're in a suite (which, as you may know, is not cheap!!)

I was in a Crown Loft and still got charged for popcorn. How much more would it be for Disney?

1 hour ago, ckruetze said:

If you have a suite with a Genie the popcorn is free and you don't even need to queue up for it at least that was our recent experience.

I watched this first hand on Allure where the Genie reserved the center front row seats for their charges at the Ice Show and had popcorn and drinks ready for them when they finally showed up 3 minutes before the show started. Saw it again at the Aqua Show later in the trip. Reserved two entire rows in the center and had their popcorn ready. Only problem half of them did not show up.

19 hours ago, Heymarco said:

I was in a Crown Loft and still got charged for popcorn. How much more would it be for Disney?

Our last Disney cruise (this past May) in a slightly larger ocean view balcony cabin, cost more than what we paid for a CLS on both Symphony (2019) and Harmony (2022).... the entry level concierge class ("suite") cabins on Disney, which really aren't much bigger than a jr. suite on RCCL, are typically priced at $4 - $5k per person based on double occupancy for a 7 day cruise (so $8-$10k for a couple).

We haven't done concierge class on Disney, but we enjoy the sky suite class on RCCL and am fine with the tradeoff of paying for popcorn (we've never done it)!  Again, this isn't a revenue driver for RCCL... it's to discourage waste (and cleanup by their staff).  I hate "nickel and diming", but in this case I think it makes sense!