survey I just received

Its a slippery slope...that's the issue. Do I care about a few bucks for pizza...not really. But its the principal.

More and more is becoming pay to use or eat with Royal and many other cruise lines.

When Cabana for 6 hrs cost $15k Canadian....its gong to turn alot of ppl off from cruising....or its going to become just for the rich and elite.

When you could feed a family for a year for the price of an inside cabin on Royals new ships...at some point something is going to give.

And then to start charging for so many things now.....even compared to when I started cruising just a few years ago...its defn changing the appeal and affordability of cruising.

I think they are also interested in the set of people that say that they don't eat there as a proportion of the whole.  This is the set that would be economically unharmed if something they do not consume increases in price.

If X% of people eat at Sorrento's and all X% would be mad at a cost, that may not matter if 1-X is a very large portion. 

24 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

You don't have to wait to receive the survey. Just click on the link provided by the OP and have at it.

Thanks, I took it.  Question 2 does indicate that there is at least some thought in just getting rid of it.  I would prefer that to charging for it.

image.thumb.png.0f57080a2ffa08d323ca711f120cbba1.png

Also a bunch of questions about moving Specialty dining from Prix Fixe to A la Carte and interest in modified dining packages if they did.

I finally received the survey and while I know it is just that, I took issue with the UDP questions.

The idea of changing the UDP to only being a la carte is horrible. The pricing for most of the restaurants are a bit extreme, so a $499 credit for $399, wouldn't be a good deal. Mainly because I know the prices would be raised to account for this, Chops or 150CP at $100pp eats 20% of your credit and that is just one night. 

Late night pizza is a cruising tradition for my wife and I. Definitely wouldn’t pay for it, and this combined with other cutbacks would have me rethinking future bookings. Jason Liberty is transforming RC into a profit driven machine, and is killing off it’s loyal customer base. $500 for a couple to spend a few hours at the beach club on CocoCay is already ridiculous enough.

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I finally received the survey and while I know it is just that, I took issue with the UDP questions.

The idea of changing the UDP to only being a la carte is horrible. The pricing for most of the restaurants are a bit extreme, so a $499 credit for $399, wouldn't be a good deal. Mainly because I know the prices would be raised to account for this, Chops or 150CP at $100pp eats 20% of your credit and that is just one night. 

Yeah, I'm with you, I didn't love it.  I took the questions as they intended to change the restaurant pricing even for regular bookings to an a la carte model.  The UDP suggestions then to essentially limit the unlimited making UDP a glorified 20% off coupon if you agree to spend $400.

I didn't get a survey but if I did I would vote for a planetarium. I sailed on the Queen Mary 2 and it was wonderful!

Another thing they had on that cruise was guest lecturers. People who knew what they were talking about, on a wide range of topics. 

Also, I would not pay for Sorrento's unless they had a pan pizza.

20 hours ago, Al Miller said:

Record earnings! Best quarter ever! You hear this and you think "Whew!" Maybe now they can stop the death by a thousand cuts that is killing my desire to book anything new. Nope! Let's see how fast and how far they can gut the core experience.

This company under Mr. Liberty has me very much questioning my loyalty to cruising in general. They are going to keep pushing this and in five years they are going to wonder why all the repeat business has dried up.

This is exactly why I will try other lines if they do more of this kind of thing. Even if the other lines are nickle and diming, RCI will become less important in my choices if they charge for mediocre pizza.

I suspect that some of this is mining for more spending options as others have said, but I also suspect this is a response to everyone reporting that sorrentos is...not great... in their post-cruise surveys.  Sorrentos is free and at times (embarkation, late night) absolutely packed.  They have to be able to churn and burn the pizzas.  As a result, you get a slightly-better than frozen pizza.  My guess is that they are really looking at making a better product (read: true hand-stretched, wood-fired, NY style etc etc) but limiting the demand by charging a fee.  I'm only guessing, but the sorrentos issues might have well been one question: "would you prefer to pay more for a better product or are you ok with the so-so (but free!...well included anyways) product."  I don't see how they can get rid of the only real late-night option (cafe promenade barely counts these days) 

We also got the suite questions, certainly looks like they are finding ways to change the inclusions there.  

This is what happens when one of the longest serving CEO’s steps down and is replaced by a CFO (Chief Financial Officer), everything becomes all about money. I can’t help but think that when Richard was CEO of RCG, he actually cared about the guests and feedback was very important to him and was careful to balance guest experience with finances. Nowadays, Jason Liberty is just trying to squeeze every last penny out of you, while trying trying to keep his pennies in his pocket! Cruise prices are going one way and the experience is going the other! If they carry on with all of these cut backs, then they will just dilute the brand and start to build a bad reputation like MSC, where food and service quality becomes poor and every activity and dining venue is at an additional cost.

18 hours ago, Cruisingmama said:

Yup. My sentiments exactly. Last week, after coming back from my 10th RCCL cruise in 3 years was the first time I started researching land vacations... Options are VERY VERY attractive - especially with pricing and amenities offered, large sprawling rooms, enormous resorts with highly rated animation teams, pools you can actually swim in without having to rub into a stranger, Hot tubs with ample elbow room and NO ADD ON FEES!   Also looked into NCL and even Carnival which are also coming in at much less.  After my last cruise on Oasis in July I don't see the added value in paying for RCCL "enhanced" experience...

Booked Carnival Jubilee yesterday. About 40% lower than comparable Oasis class itinerary 

I just took the survey.

That being said charging for Sorrentos with its current quality is akin to them planning what to replace it with.  As a NJ couple we laugh because in essence its on par with Little Caesars.  That's not pizza its cardboard with tomato sauce and cheese!!

Pay for it? No way in hades!

I have to say as someone that does suites I hate the Lavazza and the quality of the robes.  I have 5 yr old hands towels that are softer than those robes. We own a Nespresso and a Kuerig  I would prefer those over the Lavazza. 

I repeatedly ranked them as the least.

37 minutes ago, Gilley said:

I have about 40 family members going on ICON next year and about half are first time cruisers, so I hope they keep sorrentos free at least until after we sail.  I have already told them they can eat free pizza all day and night.

I think Icon is gonna have TONS of included food, so they should be good either way. 

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

It's definitely a data mining expedition. If they were going to make Sorrentos a premium venue, they'd just do it, not send out a survey in which they already know the results.

I liken it to the menu change.  Many didn’t want it and complained afterwards but they did it.  It’s always easy to say “the survey indicated” when the masses are not actually seeing the results.  Additionally they may rule out certain survey results as unimportant if they are looking at data such as last time you sailed, how many cruise lines you sail with etc.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see a change with Sorrentos.  

1 hour ago, Gilley said:

I have about 40 family members going on ICON next year and about half are first time cruisers, so I hope they keep sorrentos free at least until after we sail.  I have already told them they can eat free pizza all day and night.

Well, I think you need to temper their expectations now. Sorrento's pizza is not 24hrs. I believe it is a 12pm-2am deal, which is not all day and night. 

1 hour ago, Jumping Cruiser said:

This is what happens when one of the longest serving CEO’s steps down and is replaced by a CFO (Chief Financial Officer), everything becomes all about money. I can’t help but think that when Richard was CEO of RCG, he actually cared about the guests and feedback was very important to him and was careful to balance guest experience with finances. Nowadays, Jason Liberty is just trying to squeeze every last penny out of you, while trying trying to keep his pennies in his pocket! Cruise prices are going one way and the experience is going the other! If they carry on with all of these cut backs, then they will just dilute the brand and start to build a bad reputation like MSC, where food and service quality becomes poor and every activity and dining venue is at an additional cost.

This is exactly like the Disney's Bob Chapek debacle... 

I couldn't take the survey, the link send me to a page that says "This survey can only be taken by invitation."

Of the big 3 lines Royal already has the absolute poorest non MDR/Buffet complementary offerings. And that is WITH Sorrentos. What would they be trying to prove by taking that away? That their cruisers are the dumbest at sea and will put up with anything? They make me feel dumber all the time when this stuff keeps happening.

2 hours ago, Carlos A. said:

This is exactly like the Disney's Bob Chapek debacle...

How is it, that even with that huge example right in front of their face, they refuse to see they are going down the same road? SMH... As good as their product may or may not still be, it still mainly survives by the good will of the customers. And they just do not seem to value us anymore.

It used to seem like "How can we make our experience so good, that they will want to choose us over the competition? Even if it costs a little more." Lately it comes across as more like "We've got them on the hook. Now how can we milk them for the most dollars possible?"