Norwegian sues Florida over mandatory vaccine ban

10 minutes ago, gatorskin76 said:

I don't have the time or patience to know enough about this to make a truly informed opinion, but what a mess.  It's hard to get legislators to get things done, and when they do get something done it's undone by one person's decision....

Plenty of laws were passed in the United States that later proved to be unconstitutional. That's why we have checks and balances to ensure no branch exerts too much power incorrectly.

48 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

So now we have different rules for different cruise lines and for different ports.  Is public confusion ever good for an industry?

West Coast : Vaccine mandated from LA and Seattle.

Texas & Alabama : Vaccine not required, but NCL will try to sue to change that.

Florida : Vaccine will be mandated

I’m genuinely shocked by this outcome. The bits of the opinion I’m reading from articles (I haven’t read the whole opinion yet) seem very outcome based. The judge seemed to know that the policy behind the law was wrong and strained to find a justification to strike it down. 

Maybe the Florida legislature amends the law to exempt cruises now. 

15 minutes ago, Unsuspecting Cruiser said:

It's for the best. Banning unvaccinated cruisers reduces the likelihood of cruise interruptions from COVID cases, and possibly remove mask mandate onboard which will greatly improve experiences of passengers.

If the goal is to reduce the likelihood, then might as well keep the masks too, right?

8 minutes ago, Unsuspecting Cruiser said:

It's for the best. Banning unvaccinated cruisers reduces the likelihood of cruise interruptions from COVID cases, and possibly remove mask mandate onboard which will greatly improve experiences of passengers.

I don't think vaccination status affects cruise interruptions since it's been about 50/50 on who's testing positive on board, but if NCL requires vaccines and still requires masks, then what's the point?

10 minutes ago, gatorskin76 said:

Of course, but not sure this is that.  Did she say it was unconstitutional, or just that she didn't like it?

Florida's law violates NCLH's rights under the First Amendment. Explanation begins on page 16

9 minutes ago, gatorskin76 said:

If the goal is to reduce the likelihood, then might as well keep the masks too, right?

Vaccinated passengers are highly unlikely to develop severe form of COVID.

If everyone is vaccinated, then having COVID is like having a flu at worst. 

So mask mandate can be removed if everyone onboard is vaccinated.

8 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

NCL wants everyone vaccinated right, no matter if they're old enough to get it or not?

I don't know, they might give an exception to kids under 12.

But NCL would probably require everyone who can get vaccinated at the time of sailing to do so.

Suppose child vaccination 2~11 is approved in the fall, then NCL will probably mandate vaccination on children as well.

30 minutes ago, Matt said:

Now the law is the same in all U.S. states. Only Florida would not allow customers to be asked to provide proof of vaccination (Texas' law had a loophole if Federally mandated, which it is by CDC).

As I read the injunction, Florida is only prohibited from enforcing its law against NCL. Royal and Carnival may need to file their own lawsuits if they want to be similarly protected. 

9 minutes ago, danv3 said:

As I read the injunction, Florida is only prohibited from enforcing its law against NCL. Royal and Carnival may need to file their own lawsuits if they want to be similarly protected. 

Oh? I must have missed that. Where is that mentioned? 

17 minutes ago, Matt said:

Florida's law violates NCLH's rights under the First Amendment. Explanation begins on page 16

Unchecked legislature = bad

Legislating from the bench = bad

Perhaps she made a good decision based on the facts, I don't have the patience to read it (thank you for the summary so I didn't have to), so I guess I'll step back and read the comments. 

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

Oh? I must have missed that. Where is that mentioned? 

It’s the last paragraph:

For the foregoing reasons, Plaintiffs’ Motion for Preliminary Injunction (DE 3) is GRANTED. Defendant is ENJOINED from enforcing Section 381.00316 against Plaintiffs pending resolution of the merits of this case.

(Plaintiffs being NCLH and some related parties)

8 minutes ago, danv3 said:

It’s the last paragraph:

For the foregoing reasons, Plaintiffs’ Motion for Preliminary Injunction (DE 3) is GRANTED. Defendant is ENJOINED from enforcing Section 381.00316 against Plaintiffs pending resolution of the merits of this case.

Interesting, thank you. This exceeds my legal knowledge to how other companies could apply/utilize this ruling for their own purposes.

15 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

NCL wants everyone vaccinated right, no matter if they're old enough to get it or not?

Per NCL's site: https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents#covid-19-proof

Are children allowed to sail on your ships if they are not vaccinated?
The safety and security of our guests, crew and communities we visit is our number one priority. In order to provide the safest cruise experience possible, all guests and crew will need to be fully vaccinated for all sailings with embarkation dates prior to October 31, 2021. Therefore, minors who have not yet been eligible to be vaccinated will not be permitted to sail on these voyages. Minors who have been fully vaccinated are welcome to sail.

We look forward to the day when we can safely welcome these guests back onboard our ships, when the public health environment allows us to modify our protocols accordingly. We will continue to constantly evaluate our health and safety protocols with our expert Council and will follow the latest science to determine requirements for all future sailings embarking beginning in November 2021. We commit to keeping guests apprised of any policy changes as far in advance as possible of their scheduled vacation.

12 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'll be curious to see if families go back to NCL when they eventually let unvaccinated kids on or if they'll look to other cruise lines.

You may be right, who knows.

To play devil's advocate, do you think average consumer notices/cares in the long term? Meaning, if a family goes to book NCL but they cant because kids arent allowed due to be unvaccinated, do you think next year that same family holds a grudge against NCL? Or they just book whatever appeals to them at the time?

I really don't know the answer, and the proof will be in long run when we look at profits down the road.

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

You may be right, who knows.

To play devil's advocate, do you think average consumer notices/cares in the long term? Meaning, if a family goes to book NCL but they cant because kids arent allowed due to be unvaccinated, do you think next year that same family holds a grudge against NCL? Or they just book whatever appeals to them at the time?

I really don't know the answer, and the proof will be in long run when we look at profits down the road.

That's true. We're kind of blinded in a way with loyalty to one cruise line.  I'm sure lots of people couldn't care less what cruise line, just if the dates/price/destinations are right.

2 hours ago, danv3 said:

It’s the last paragraph:

Easy for other cruise lines to use this as a precedent to follow suit, even if only to  get their own temporary injunction.

I say Bravo to NCL for doing this.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I'll be curious to see if families go back to NCL when they eventually let unvaccinated kids on or if they'll look to other cruise lines.

to be honest, I can't understand why anyone would want to take their un-vacinated child on a cruise ship or to Disney, or any other crowded public unregulated place right now with the surge of the Delta variant.  It is enough of a concern getting them back to face to face school right now.

Before the end of the year the Vaccine will be approved for children and NCL will gladly welcome them back to a much safer environment.

I do not mean to offend anyone with my comments, and apologize to you if I do, they are solely my own opinion. Hopefully we can both still enjoy cruising as that's what we have in common.

58 minutes ago, CruiseGus said:

to be honest, I can't understand why anyone would want to take their un-vacinated child on a cruise ship or to Disney, or any other crowded public unregulated place right now with the surge of the Delta variant.  It is enough of a concern getting them back to face to face school right now.

Before the end of the year the Vaccine will be approved for children and NCL will gladly welcome them back to a much safer environment.

I do not mean to offend anyone with my comments, and apologize to you if I do, they are solely my own opinion. Hopefully we can both still enjoy cruising as that's what we have in common.

Cruise ships are pretty “regulated” with their protocols.