Royal Caribbean Blog

POLL: Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?

Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?  

306 members have voted

1. 1. Will you sail on a cruise before there is a COVID-19 vaccine?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

This is a site for huge fans of cruising and specifically RC, of course there doesn’t need to be a vaccine for people to want to cruise.

And honestly the biggest deterrent for me is that it wouldn’t be the full vacation experience because there would likely be many restrictions for me to be paying full price. Racking up that vacation time for when I can cruise worry free. 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even if ship introduces restrictions such as observing a 2m rule at bar i have it covered   

Not concerned about a vaccine, my deciding factor will be what the "new" onboard experience is.  

My family and I absolutely will be cruising at first chance. As serious as all this has been, I don't want the fear of "what if" to overrule the possibility of adventure for me. Just as with any disea

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, J-Fitz said:

This is a site for huge fans of cruising and specifically RC, of course there doesn’t need to be a vaccine for people to want to cruise.

And honestly the biggest deterrent for me is that it wouldn’t be the full vacation experience because there would likely be many restrictions for me to be paying full price. Racking up that vacation time for when I can cruise worry free. 

I have tried to imagine a cruise that had real social distancing. The ship would have to be about 25% capacity.

In my limited geographical experience, social distancing is a joke.  25% capacity or 100% capacity doesn’t matter. 

People will stay the proper distance apart until they want something or feel they have the “right” to do something.  

We experience this everyday in supermarkets where capacity is limited based on square footage.   

We cruise for the adventure and opportunity to meet new people. For me, the benefits don't outweigh the risks. I don't know why, but I routinely get sick when I go on vacation lol... I couldn't imagine adding a pandemic into the mix 😆 They would probably have to medivac me on a helicopter! We cruise in less than a year from now, so I'm team vaccine.  

@RCIfan1912 I'm a firm believer that masks currently being worn do nothing for you, as they are not the proper masks required. The general population doesn't understand the transmittal process, much less what it requires for a true decontamination. Think of it this way...you wear a mask, but no gloves and go into a store, pick up an item then decide you don't want it, like many before you have. You place it back on the shelf continue with your shopping.   Later on after you get back home and unload the items that you purchased from your bags, placing thing where they needed to be.  Did you decontaminate the items before you put them away?  Who all touched those items before you did? Did they have the virus? Did you touch your face or any part of your body, without thinking about it?  Did the store decontaminate the items before they put them on the shelfs? What about the people loading and unloading?

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 7.40.23 AM.png

This comes out as selfish I realize, but I need a few cases of "you first". I need people to sail and see they're okay...admittedly I don't know exactly what that means but I need for some time to go by to cruise. I don't think I need a vaccine to cruise though.

I don't know how life will look on a cruise. I have issues when strangers stand too close to me to begin with. I ride mass transit (not for last two months) and already know when I get back the train will feel weird and unsafe. I already can see the fights breaking out because someone coughed or sat too close.

If I need to wear a mask, sure. I don't care. I just want things somewhat back to normal or the new normal.

8 minutes ago, mworkman said:

@RCIfan1912 I'm a firm believer that masks currently being worn do nothing for you, as they are not the proper masks required. The general population doesn't understand the transmittal process, much less what it requires for a true decontamination. Think of it this way...you wear a mask, but no gloves and go into a store, pick up an item then decide you don't want it, like many before you have. You place it back on the shelf continue with your shopping.   Later on after you get back home and unload the items that you purchased from your bags, placing thing where they needed to be.  Did you decontaminate the items before you put them away?  Who all touched those items before you did? Did they have the virus? Did you touch your face or any part of your body, without thinking about it?  Did the store decontaminate the items before they put them on the shelfs? What about the people loading and unloading?

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 7.40.23 AM.png

It is required by the Governor here in NJ and most states. It is also store policy. If you go into a store you should wear one or be thrown out. I wear a bandanna, its not the end of the world. Its just an added extra precaution. To say its "taking away your constitutional right" is certifiable. Its just protection. 

From the news items out there, it seems that there might not ever be a vaccine (search 'can you get COVID-19 a second time'). I read two articles last weekend that outlined some medical community fears that this might end up having the same treatable characteristics as the common cold...and/or we're just zig-zagging our way to eventual herd immunity.

Either way...cruise on.

And if I may politely add, that tweet from the Surgeon General is from Feb 20, a lifetime ago in regards to the pandemic, at a time when healthcare workers desperately needed masks.   I’m also guessing those who were hoarding masks ( and toilet paper) are the same who are now against using them.  My take is this (and it applies to WDW too!),  if masks are required to partake in my 2 favorite vacations then I must wear a mask.  For me the question is not whether it really helps or if it is enforceable once there but that these companies are feeling their way through this.  If they are erring on the side of caution, why are we making it more difficult?  What gives us the right to tell them which rules we will or won’t follow?  To me the choice is simple.  If masks are required you either go AND WEAR ONE or put off the trip.

Ok, off my soapbox and praying for my Feb cruise🤞🏻🤞🏻

6 hours ago, J-Fitz said:

You're right we're biased, but I am genuinely curious what percentage of "super fans" are willing to go. It's not going to be 100%, so what percentage will it be? It's almost like grading on a curve in that it will be interesting to see how skewed or not are the results.

44 minutes ago, Matt said:

You're right we're biased, but I am genuinely curious what percentage of "super fans" are willing to go. It's not going to be 100%, so what percentage will it be? It's almost like grading on a curve in that it will be interesting to see how skewed or not are the results.

I find your survey very interesting.. I have already said I am going as soon as they let us BUT I have no kids and no grandparents.. I have my dad but I don't live with him.. I am very curious to know what is your vote Matt? No judgment I just really want to know how you feel? I know you have more of a risk with having a family but as our "Leader" how do you feel about it? again not trying to judge you if your scared I just really am curious how you feel. 

I gave a bit of a glib, silly answer yesterday after I made my vote. In all seriousness, yes, I would go if RCCL is allowed to sail. Sailing means that they've submitted a plan to the CDC -- or at the very least, have a very strong one internally. None of the cruise lines are going to sail before they're certain they're doing all they can. They are under such a microscope now, I can't even imagine. They've become one of this pandemic's whipping boys. Nobody wants to get back to doing what they do -- and doing it right -- more than the cruise lines. Of this, I have no doubt. And I'd like to think that cruisers who decide to cruise (who, let's face it, are not as likely to be brand-new to cruising) will do what they need to do in order to get to enjoy their vacation. On 2 of my 3 upcoming cruises, I have a balcony. I'm hoping to upgrade the third (on which I at least have an ocean view) to that option, too, so if we're required to isolate at certain times, then it won't be so bad.

I need this vacation. Yes, I know there are alternatives to cruising, but honestly, nothing for me packs a value quite like cruising. I don't drive...I travel solo. And bam -- I get outstanding culinary choices, changes in scenery every day, and a chance to meet new folks and unwind. All while letting someone else do the driving...er...sailing. But truthfully, I need this. I know there may be a potential risk to my physical health, but real talk here...my mental health is already taking a beating. My life's been turned upside down and inside out in the last 8 months by medical things, and I've seen much-needed breaks and breathers evaporate, first because of pain and infection, and now because of this virus threat.

I am fully prepared to accept any requirement to self-isolate for 14 days after a cruise as mandated by my state. I live a thousand miles away from my family -- I've always kinda done my own thing and been in my own place in the world. So it's reassuring to know I wouldn't run the risk of infecting them if I were to get sick. I have friends I've talked to about this eventuality, and they are more than willing to pick up groceries or other things for me if it comes to this, and I'd be able to continue to work from home without any real interruption to my schedule. I can also safely isolate from my roommate without much trouble, made even easier when my roommate's schedule goes back to normal, too, and they're able to go to their office.

I just want to feel normal again -- even in a new normal. I wanna be able to put the world on hold for 7-8 days and just explore and recharge. I promised myself 2020 would be the year I'd be better to myself and start seeing the world. And if there's any way possible at all, I wanna keep that promise, even if I have to do it with a mask at times.

I voted yes, although I did lift and shift my September cruise to next year.  I did this for several reasons; not sure it will actually go or go to the scheduled ports (it's a NE/Canada cruise) and it's a first cruise for my son and dil.  The dil has a fear of flying and ships and we picked this one because it's very port intensive, and while we would be happy sailing in circles i know they wouldn't enjoy it.  Now I have three cruises scheduled for next year and the wife says "we have to wait till March to cruise, i won't make it that long". LOL  Told her if they start cruising this fall maybe we can sneak in a last minute sailing if the price is right.

We both are immune compromised and will take the vaccine as soon as it's available.  I'm a cancer survivor and when I was first diagnosed my oncologist said the question everyone has is "Will i die from this cancer, he said maybe but you could also get hit by a bus when you leave here".  My take on this is live your life don't worry what may happen tomorrow. 

I have had extensive training on the use of masks both for chemical warfare, painting and toxic chemicals. The CDC, Surgeon General and others have lied to us about the use of masks, there are many types of mask and they all work to a certain degree or no one would be wearing them.  Some masks are better than others, the SN95 masks filters 95% of particles larger than 0.3 microns other masks including the homemade ones are not as effective with surgical masks better than cloth ones.  The other lie is they don't protect you from getting covid-19 but prevent you from transmitting it to others, to believe that you have to believe that the filter only filters one way.  Any mask is better than no mask if you are in contact with someone that has it, the problem is they haven't told us how easy it is to catch it.  There have been some saying that you won't catch it just walking by someone unless they cough or sneeze.  I wear my mask when I have to go out to the store or dr and will continue until the positive test results drop to zero or close to zero.  Avoid touching your face and wash your hands frequently.

3 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

It is required by the Governor here in NJ and most states. It is also store policy.

There will never be 100% compliance.  It's like seat belts.  To this day people still get ticketed for not wearing one even though there is proven data it may save your life in a MVA.  People are still driving under the influence.  There are a lot of things that are out of our control.  Only thing we can focus on it how we feel will keep ourselves and families safe. 

With that being said, it's been a while since my Leafs are still in the season in the month of May.  

If you are looking for an overwhelming Yes response than this is the place you will find it.

But in reality people are going to transition back to normal at all kinds of different rates and as they see comfortable. There is no switch that gets flicked back normal. It will takes years to get back to 2019.

That being said, people are not looking for a vacation. They have been on a vacation for a month and a half and as much as they would like to get out of their house, getting away from it all is not on their radar.

I voted No. Cruises for me involve airplanes, airports, hotels, and ground transportation. I need to feel comfortable and safe with all of those things before I make the decision whether being safe on a cruise ship is even possible.

I personally hate wearing mask, I find myself touching my face to adjust said mask 23x more than I would not wearing one. However, as a decent human being, I would wear one if required to do simple activities. People like @Matt who live in Florida or who can drive to ports, will have an easier time saying yes. Far harder for me in Chicago to be comfortable as it not just a cruise I am worried about. I have a bunch of other variables to consider such as a full flight and people who are anti-whatever. 

I hate to say this but I fear we have become too impatient, just look at the refund thread😜, people want things to go back to normal fast. It has literally been 2 months and look at how the world has devolved and evolved. If anything we used to do opened up, there would be lines.....correction there are line...look at Universal and Disney. Some people are like "nobody wants to cruise or go on vacation, we been on vacation." But that is just not true. A lot of people still worked through this, their minds have told them they need a break. I am sure contrarians will book their first cruise just to prove a point.

21 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I personally hate wearing mask, I find myself touching my face to adjust said mask 23x more than I would not wearing one. 

I did this with my first mask, which didn't fit very well.  My new one fits so well that I forget it's on and never have to adjust it (granted I only wear it when at Costco - I rarely ever go anywhere else.)  We don't wear them at work, even though I wish we did. While the dispatchers can social distance from each other, I have to get right up next to them when they have a problem on their computer, usually within 2 feet. It makes me uncomfortable.  My dispatchers are young and will likely be the first ones driving across the border to drink at bars in Wisconsin since they're open now.  I wear my mask to hopefully protect others from me, should I be positive and asymptomatic.  

• Matt unpinned this topic