MDR vs Windjammer for breakfast?

mindvaca

1 hour ago, Mike n Ky said:

One additional option for breakfast might be Johnny Rockets. We have had breakfast there on Allure and Symphony and enjoyed it. Unlike lunch and dinner there wasn't a charge. It's more of a diner style breakfast.

Remember breakfast at Johnny Rockets is only available on the Oasis class ships

If you are on an Oasis or Quantum Class ship, consider the Solarium Bistro for breakfast. It's rarely very crowded, and even when crowded, the crowd doesn't compare to the Windjammer.  It's a smaller buffet but has a good selection of breakfast items, and usually an omelette station.

Another thing to keep in mind when deciding between the MDR and Windjammer is when they open. At least on Adventure and Oasis last summer, 2022, the MDR was opening late enough for breakfast that I couldn't personally see myself up for a MDR lunch after having breakfast at their available times. 

No No No @SpeedNoodles you've let everyone know now 🤫, we always do breakfast there. It mostly seems underutilized so much more relaxing. The selection isn't as large as the WJ but certainly has all the essentials. I'm an early riser so I usually get a small plate there, then when my wife gets up we do the real breakfast.

On 12/17/2022 at 2:05 AM, SpeedNoodles said:

If you are on an Oasis or Quantum Class ship, consider the Solarium Bistro for breakfast. It's rarely very crowded, and even when crowded, the crowd doesn't compare to the Windjammer.  It's a smaller buffet but has a good selection of breakfast items, and usually an omelette station.

I was going to say the same thing.  It’s truly a hidden gem!  We always found a table on allure and it was never packed!   Jane

21 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I was going to say the same thing.  It’s truly a hidden gem!  We always found a table on allure and it was never packed!   Jane

Does solarium bistro have the omelette station?  When I was on Symphony in Feb. Solarium bistro and Johnny Rockets were both closed for breakfast.

There is not a "Best" choice for breakfast in my opinion.  To me, it depends on my mood, whether I am in a rush, and if it is just me and my wife or the whole family.  If I want to be waited on, then the MDR is great.  If I am in a hurry (perhaps to go ashore), then Promenade Cafe is my choice.  If I am on a trip with the kids, then the Windjammer is usually the preference for my crew as it has something for everyone.  There is really not a bad breakfast choice, just some choices may suit you better than others on a day by day basis.

Having only cruised on two classes, Oasis and Quantum the answer varies. We don't go out to eat breakfast ever so the MDR is a real treat. Given that factor and not cruising with the lads, we prefer the MDR. If we have to get off the ship on a Quantum class we prefer Two70 Café for a very good microwaved breakfast. On Oasis we haven't grooved on Johnny R. it is very much a simple diner experience. Park Café should be a match to 270 but they don't seem to zap the food to a warm enough level.   The hard thing about your very good question is that pre and post Covid and ship class plus the new dinning menu makes it hard to give a definitive answer.  We do enjoy trying as many venues as possible and the adventure often educates us as to what we want. Work hard and do the real time research on the ship, extra free bacon cures all ills, bet you will smile!

On 12/19/2022 at 5:36 AM, need2cruz said:

Does solarium bistro have the omelette station?  When I was on Symphony in Feb. Solarium bistro and Johnny Rockets were both closed for breakfast.

Yikes...I don't remember since I'm not a big "egg on ships" eater.  I want to say that they don't make them right there, but do have omelettes.  I don't remember if they were cook to order in the back, or not available.  Sorry I can't remember.  I will be on Harmony in 11 days and will try and check! Jane

Another thing to look out for is a buffet breakfast in the MDR. On our Anthem cruise back in September the MDR was doing a la carte on one side and buffet on the other and that buffet quickly became our go to place. Obviously a smaller selection and no made to order, other than a toast station, but it had all the essentials and was altogether a more relaxing option than the WJ. One tip here, though, is to ask for a jug of hot milk with your coffee because it's served by roving waiters out of thermos jugs so it's not very hot to start with and if you add cold milk from the jug on the table...

Windjammer wins over all other choices for me just because of the variety and ease.  The MDR can be lengthy and unfortunately I've yet to have a properly cooked eggs benedict there.

If the ships have it these venues are my favs:

park cafe, solarium bistro, cafe promenade (great bagel bar), Two70 bistro, diamond lounge

On 12/17/2022 at 9:00 AM, KevinJ said:

No No No @SpeedNoodles you've let everyone know now 🤫, we always do breakfast there. It mostly seems underutilized so much more relaxing. The selection isn't as large as the WJ but certainly has all the essentials. I'm an early riser so I usually get a small plate there, then when my wife gets up we do the real breakfast.

Solarium Bistro was jammed full of people last week on the Allure.  I was lucky to get a table the last day of the cruise.  It was loud, and parents brought their kids.  (Yes, kids are allowed in the bistro, but not the Solarium itself.)  Food was mostly the same as the WJ.

The WJ usually works best for me, as I prefer a quick breakfast.  Last week my stateroom was on deck 14 near the stairs - easy to grab a plate full of food and take it back to my balcony to have a quiet and private breakfast!

The MDR is good if you're not in a hurry and prefer to be waited on.  The food quality is better than the WJ in my opinion.  It just takes time, and sometimes the food will not be hot.

• 2 weeks later...

Usually every 3 days or so we do MDR breakfast once. So 2 days in a 7 day sailing, or once in a 3 day sailing. It's just a change of scenery to make it feel like we're in a nice upscale brunch restaurants in Manhattan, NY (which we're not from, but we've seen them on TV). I wouldn't go there for the food, because the food is basically the same as WJ except the eggs benedict is better. I would go there for ambiance.

On days where we do have activities planned (be that ports, excursions, or if there's a morning class we're trying to catch) then we do WJ. 

We visited the MDR for breakfast on our latest OA cruise (12-22-22) and were immediately reminded of why we hadn't set foot in a MDR in over 5 years.  It reinforced our feelings about the MDR in general.

They did sit us at a private 2-top.  That was the one and only positive thing.

Service was slow, the food was cold and they got both of our orders wrong.  Never again.  I should add here that we also did not step food in the WJ the entire 11 days.  We ate our breakfasts [after we were no longer Suite guests] either at the Solarium Bistro (which is basically a small WJ...very good and surprised me !) or El Loco Fresh, which is Dan's favorite.  For me, not so much for breakfast.

Bottom line - the MDR is dead to me.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

We visited the MDR for breakfast on our latest OA cruise (12-22-22) and were immediately reminded of why we hadn't set foot in a MDR in over 5 years.  It reinforced our feelings about the MDR in general.

They did sit us at a private 2-top.  That was the one and only positive thing.

Service was slow, the food was cold and they got both of our orders wrong.  Never again.  I should add here that we also did not step food in the WJ the entire 11 days.  We ate our breakfasts [after we were no longer Suite guests] either at the Solarium Bistro (which is basically a small WJ...very good and surprised me !) or El Loco Fresh, which is Dan's favorite.  For me, not so much for breakfast.

Bottom line - the MDR is dead to me.

Did solarium bistro have an omelette station?

On 12/16/2022 at 5:27 PM, Mike n Ky said:

One additional option for breakfast might be Johnny Rockets. We have had breakfast there on Allure and Symphony and enjoyed it. Unlike lunch and dinner there wasn't a charge. It's more of a diner style breakfast.

I'm with you @Mike n Ky.  Not crowded, fast service, freshly made food delivered to you.  We loved JR for breakfast!

1 hour ago, need2cruz said:

Did solarium bistro have an omelette station?

Sort of.  You have to ask the attendants behind the counter to get an omelet for you.  They don't advertise the fact that they will do custom omelets but they will.  I'm pretty sure that the Solarium Bistro shares the kitchen with the WJ so they just go into the kitchen and your omelet comes out shortly.  I did this nearly every day and was never disappointed.

Last two cruises I 'discovered' breakfast in the MDR and it was fantastic. It is my favorite meal of the day.  

It does open later than I wished, but it was ok for sea days or days when we had later excursions. We were on Independence and Harmony and they were both really good.  Service and food quality.  

I am not a buffet person in general and particularly not an insanely packed buffet person so WJ is typically a last resort type thing for me.  WJ on Mariner/Independence was better than Harmony on our last few trips. For what thats worth.

We tried JR and it wasn't our thing.  I didnt try the Solariam bistro on Harmony and idk why.