Jump to content

Super Mario?????


Recommended Posts

Some years ago I met him in the cigar lounge.  At that time, there were rumors of eliminating the cigar bars on all of Royal's fleet.  He said if they eliminated the cigar bar(s), he would no longer sail with Royal.

 

Does this mean they did not eliminate the cigar bars?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 4:25 PM, WAYNO said:

Some years ago I met him in the cigar lounge.  At that time, there were rumors of eliminating the cigar bars on all of Royal's fleet.  He said if they eliminated the cigar bar(s), he would no longer sail with Royal.

 

Does this mean they did not eliminate the cigar bars?

It seems as though he caved to Royal because there are no cigar lounges that I know of and he’s still accumulating points. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

Happy Hi Five GIF by DisneyJunior

What?  NOOO!!!

I may be exhibiting bot-ish behavior, but that's only part of the mission.  I'm not Pinnacle yet!  I've just officially become Diamond Plus today... long way to go.  By my twangster-inspired math and projection, without the double points promo, I'll be Pinnacle if I sail on three 7-night cruises per year for the next 10 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, PG Cruiser said:

What?  NOOO!!!

I may be exhibiting bot-ish behavior, but that's only part of the mission.  I'm not Pinnacle yet!  I've just officially become Diamond Plus today... long way to go.  By my twangster-inspired math and projection, without the double points promo, I'll be Pinnacle if I sail on three 7-night cruises per year for the next 10 years.

Congratulations on D+!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay I gotta ask...

What exactly does Super Mario do...for working? Like...what is the point of his office? Is he a travel agent? help desk?

 

Also - been wondering (HA!) if he was going to shift anything over to Wonder. In his interview with Matt at the first Odyssey sailing, he said he wanted to get on Wonder but at the time she was supposed to be exclusively in Asia. Now that she'll be doing a stint in the US, does anyone know if he got himself on the ship?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

Okay I gotta ask...

What exactly does Super Mario do...for working? Like...what is the point of his office? Is he a travel agent? help desk?

 

Also - been wondering (HA!) if he was going to shift anything over to Wonder. In his interview with Matt at the first Odyssey sailing, he said he wanted to get on Wonder but at the time she was supposed to be exclusively in Asia. Now that she'll be doing a stint in the US, does anyone know if he got himself on the ship?

Investment firm IIRC.  From the ship he directs others and provides guidance - or something to that effect.  I may not have it 100% but it's close to that in concept.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

Investment firm IIRC.  From the ship he directs others and provides guidance - or something to that effect.  I may not have it 100% but it's close to that in concept.

This is what I've heard as well.  I always got the impression that he manages other people's money for a living. 

Living on a cruise ship can be very reasonable financially if you do it right.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, twangster said:

Investment firm IIRC.  From the ship he directs others and provides guidance - or something to that effect.  I may not have it 100% but it's close to that in concept.

6 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

This is what I've heard as well.  I always got the impression that he manages other people's money for a living. 

Living on a cruise ship can be very reasonable financially if you do it right.  

Ahhhhh! Thank you! This makes a lot of sense!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2021 at 9:52 AM, AshleyDillo said:

This is what I've heard as well.  I always got the impression that he manages other people's money for a living. 

Living on a cruise ship can be very reasonable financially if you do it right.  

We were on Rhapsody a few years ago and there was a lady that spent the entire winter season (Nov.-April) onboard. It was cheaper for her to live on the ship and spend the rest of the year with her adult children than it was to live in a retirement community, so that's what she did... 6 months(ish) on board and then 6 months splitting time between her children's homes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, kadmgs said:

It was cheaper for her to live on the ship and spend the rest of the year with her adult children than it was to live in a retirement community,

When you consider you aren't paying for housing, meals, electricity, vehicle expenses it can really be a savings! Once you get up into the higher loyalty tiers you also get discounts or free internet and free laundry. You hit a threshold where sailing solo no longer is a full 200% of the typical cruise fare and then once you hit the 700+ point threshold you actually start earning free cruises at each milestone. If sailing solo, she's getting at least 2 points per night so the thresholds come even faster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

When you consider you aren't paying for housing, meals, electricity, vehicle expenses it can really be a savings! Once you get up into the higher loyalty tiers you also get discounts or free internet and free laundry. You hit a threshold where sailing solo no longer is a full 200% of the typical cruise fare and then once you hit the 700+ point threshold you actually start earning free cruises at each milestone. If sailing solo, she's getting at least 2 points per night so the thresholds come even faster.

Exactly! However, I would have to be like Mario on a big ship rather than Rhapsody/a smaller ship because I would need more variety in food options. 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

I left the Explorer at the end of April and Mario had joined us for the start of 6 months there (if my mind was functioning correctly ;>)

 

Hagar the Horrible, and the #2 cruiser onboard since "SM" was there (my points were not even worth mentioning compared to Mario's!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was on Explorer in June, and had the privilege of visiting with Super Mario for a few minutes.  Very nice guy!  He should be very close to hitting his 10,000 cruise point threshold.  If I recall, I think he said he was going to be moving to Oasis after his time on Explorer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/25/2022 at 5:10 AM, MarvinS said:

I was on Explorer in June, and had the privilege of visiting with Super Mario for a few minutes.  Very nice guy!  He should be very close to hitting his 10,000 cruise point threshold.  If I recall, I think he said he was going to be moving to Oasis after his time on Explorer.

We met him a couple of weeks ago and he said he was on Oasis next, for another 6 month stint!! We asked which was his favourite ship, he answered with a smile, "which ever one I'm on" 🙂

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Mike.s said:

We met him a couple of weeks ago and he said he was on Oasis next, for another 6 month stint!! We asked which was his favourite ship, he answered with a smile, "which ever one I'm on" 🙂

 

Did he say when he starts on Oasis?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We've run across him on a couple cruises and my wife (who frequents the smoking section) has talked with him a few times...she says he's been nothing but nice.  He's been very approachable for her....she respects his space and if his laptop is open, he's working and she doesn't bother him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...