Royal Caribbean Blog

How would a vaccine AND mask mandate affect your decision to cruise?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One unvaccinated person infected on a ship will blow up in the media and end up costing cruise lines hundreds of millions should the CDC step back in and declare them closed again.  Just the bad press

This latest CDC guidance that it's safe to walk around outside and take a bike ride without wearing a mask gives me a lot of confidence that I made the right decisions to do both actions many months a

I have to admit, the thought of watching an unvaccinated getting busted in a cruise terminal with a fake card is oddly appealing to me.  Too late to use Cruise With Confidence.  You literally lose the

Posted Images

4 hours ago, DublinFC said:

I was just talking with my wife about our Dec cruise.  We are of the same mind.  Masking for ages now, I had covid in Dec thankfully she and our daughter didn't.  The vaccine seems to be helping with keeping numbers down.  I am hoping by Dec the mask requirements will be loosened, but I am not holding my breath on it.  I really hope the pool deck is a mask free zone when you are stationary in your deck chair or at a table.  The pictures of the Singapore cruises with masks on while lounging at the pool does not look like a good time.  

I am also not counting on the cruise to sail.   Until the testing phase has passed and cruise vacations start officially sailing again I am not going to get too excited for what ifs.

I just got my 2nd vaccination this past Friday,  my wife get's hers this Friday.   

We're book on Allure of the seas this December.   Hopefully thing's will be normal 🙏 by then. 

2 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I am (honestly, I spend almost no time on the pool deck anyway except maybe getting a drink from the bar while walking around).

I spend little time on pool deck, so I do not really care about masks there.  I would go on a cruise with mask restrictions without a problem, and also just doing excursions with RC.   I am just ready to go!   8 cruises booked still........

If vaccines are required, it will limit the pool of eligible guests at least for 2021.   A majority of US guests won't even have the opportunity to be vaccinated until mid-late summer.    I believe Israel leads the world in percentage of population inoculated (but a small market).   I read that based upon their stats, the vaccine they use is 92% effective.    Less developed countries with limited medical logistics systems will take even longer to get their populations inoculated. 

But if we're only going to see 1 or 2 ships sale (per cruise line) from a US port this year, a vaccine requirement would probably fit that limited back to sail strategy.

There are a lot of variables at play. I recall seeing something about drinking at bars only, that's a deal breaker.

Masks: if it is 24/7 outside cabin maybe, but if that's including a pool lounger, sorry, I'm out. If I cannot enjoy a drink on my lounger, I'm out. What's the point of taking in vitamin D with the mask on. For us, the pool deck, including hanging on the loungers, is a big way we spend a day at sea.

Vaccine: take it or leave it. I'm not anti-vax and will probably get it when it's my turn (last). Mainly to put my in-laws minds at ease and of course the suspicion places will ask for a "vax pass." As others my wife gave it to me after treating a C+ patient volunteering as an EMT. We had symptoms but nothing major, just felt like crap, fever, aches, etc.

Edit: I don't see my September Oasis out of NJ sailing anyway.

Edited by sk8erguy1978
Add
14 hours ago, Allen2 said:

Masks: YES.  Vaccine:  YES.  Cruising at that point:  YESSSS!!

What about ship capacity ?  

Does anyone know if RCCL ships will sail 1/2, 3/4 of full capacity ?

5 minutes ago, DD474 said:

What about ship capacity ?  

Does anyone know if RCCL ships will sail 1/2, 3/4 of full capacity ?

Exactly figures haven't been released. It's largely believed at the start it will be closer to half, and then ramp up from there.

They also said the exact percentage will vary from ship to ship.

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

Exactly figures haven't been released. It's largely believed at the start it will be closer to half, and then ramp up from there.

Of Course. When might it start ?

My cruise is in December on Allure.  (Hopefully Allure will not be to capacity) 

21 minutes ago, DD474 said:

Of Course. When might it start ?

My cruise is in December on Allure.  (Hopefully Allure will not be to capacity) 

That's going to be very interesting as well. If we have 100% vaccinations onboard the ships than why not sail at full capacity?  Which metric would they be looking at to gradually raise the capacity? I hope that they actually follow the science on this one as a whole because as of right now the vaccine is looking like its a miracle for how much protection that it actually gives you from becoming infected/spreading the virus. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I wonder what procedure RCCL will use to reduce capacity: longest booked, highest cabin category, or by C&A level?

I spend almost no time on the pool deck, so mask mandate there wouldn't bother me.  Now if they tried to say I had to wear a mask on my private balcony...that would be a game changer.

No problem with vaccination once it is my turn (last in line)! Already had coronavirus, it sucked but no terrible problems/after effects.  My husband gave it to me and my son!

• Matt locked this topic