Royal Caribbean Blog

CDC No Sail Order extended to Sept 30?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would hate to be the bearer of bad news when No Sail Order is extended again till the end of the year. There will be alot of unhappy campers for the Holiday cruises including me!

Look on the bright side.    CDC has extended the ban for an additional 76 days and not another 100 days..  

Not that I'm one bit surprised, but there goes our B2B Symphony sailing 9/19. 😞

Posted Images

I still believe that Oct 1st is going to be make or break for the industry. I know they have cash available until next year, but they are not going to wait until they run out. If the CDC refuses to hear their plans and just extends to 2021, and they lose all the holiday income too, at least 1 of the 3 will reorg, or worse. I just can't see status quo continuing through the end of the year.

What I do not understand is the mixed messages coming from the gov. They want kids in school and parents back to work, but have shutdown an industry that employees hundreds of thousands and brings in billions into the tourist industry. 

Regardless if it is 68 or 77 days it is still possible for them to sail this year. I think about it this way....Canada isn't allowing ships to possible come in into port until Nov. So if the US doesn't start until October then maybe more ports will be open. More ports means that itineraries don't have to change too much. That means that Thanksgiving and Christmas cruises should be unchanged and roaring to go. 

17 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Regardless if it is 68 or 77 days it is still possible for them to sail this year. I think about it this way....Canada isn't allowing ships to possible come in into port until Nov. So if the US doesn't start until October then maybe more ports will be open. More ports means that itineraries don't have to change too much. That means that Thanksgiving and Christmas cruises should be unchanged and roaring to go. 

The Canada cruise season is over. We do not get any cruise traffic from the major lines after Oct. 31. So the season resumes in April of 2021 instead. Plus seeing as most cruisers are American, its also highly doubtful the Federal Government of Canada will permit this to happen. Our land border is closed till Aug 21 with more extensions to come. And while we have air traffic from the US entering Canada, they have to quarantine for 14 days.

Just today our BC authorities are advising they may want to control flights as well as five flights in the past week arriving from the US has been flagged with COVID 19 cases on board so many are now starting to question... sure the land border is closed aka the front door, why is the air border aka the back door open?

Here's an idea. Since cruising has resumed in Europe, and hopefully it continues to do so, how about cruising Europe for the Holidays?  Sounds tempting to me! Loved it when we did it a couple of years ago. Sailing from one European port to another and experiencing the different ways each country celebrates the Holidays. Was a blast and all that delicious Holiday cuisine.  Note to self: pack fat jeans!! 🙄🙄🙄🙄

5 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

Here's an idea. Since cruising has resumed in Europe, and hopefully it continues to do so, how about cruising Europe for the Holidays?  Sounds tempting to me! Loved it when we did it a couple of years ago. Sailing from one European port to another and experiencing the different ways each country celebrates the Holidays. Was a blast and all that delicious Holiday cuisine.  Note to self: pack fat jeans!! 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Sure, if you can also quarantine in Europe for 14 days before you leave

Damn, I guess that things are really bad, beginning to worry a bit for the cruise lines if they aren't back in service by the end of the year.

I'm on a train to go on vacation in London at the moment (I'm not leaving the UK but after London, the rest of my family are off to France), can't see how going there and being in a train for 4.5 hours is safe but a cruise isn't. We've managed in the UK to find ways to operate things with distancing so it sucks that the CDC are still banning any sailings. I'm sure they could do something if they thought out of the box more.

50 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Damn, I guess that things are really bad, beginning to worry a bit for the cruise lines if they aren't back in service by the end of the year.

I'm on a train to go on vacation in London at the moment (I'm not leaving the UK but after London, the rest of my family are off to France), can't see how going there and being in a train for 4.5 hours is safe but a cruise isn't. We've managed in the UK to find ways to operate things with distancing so it sucks that the CDC are still banning any sailings. I'm sure they could do something if they thought out of the box more.

Well on a cruise generally its accepted everyone is together for days while on a train or plane everyone is together for hours. I can see the arguments for or against though but a plane lands and a train stops.

On a ship out at sea it creates a bit of a different environment aka a ship cannot land or stop within a few hours I'd it's in the middle of an ocean. So in a sense o can see why CDC thinks this is of greater risk despite most of us seasoned family line cruisers know sanitation is top priority on a ship. I am Canadian and looking at the US right now... most Canadian wouldn't want to visit the worlds leading hot spot till those case counts at least get under control. And cruises mainly leave out of Florida which now has a combined total of more than what entire countries have reported case wise...

13 hours ago, Scrumps said:

I still believe that Oct 1st is going to be make or break for the industry. I know they have cash available until next year, but they are not going to wait until they run out. If the CDC refuses to hear their plans and just extends to 2021, and they lose all the holiday income too, at least 1 of the 3 will reorg, or worse. I just can't see status quo continuing through the end of the year.

What I do not understand is the mixed messages coming from the gov. They want kids in school and parents back to work, but have shutdown an industry that employees hundreds of thousands and brings in billions into the tourist industry. 

Yup....I agree whole-heartedly !! If they extend the No Sail Order to the end of the year or into 2021, I will be dumping the stock quicker than you can say John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt !!  🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃

Interesting article about the no sail order: 

“In its last extension of the No Sail order, dated April 15, the agency asked all major cruise lines to issue a response plan to the order, stipulating precisely what that needed to entail. As of July 10, the agency said only one cruise line — Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line — has come up with a plan that adequately meets all the requirements. It added that the “difficulty of cruise ship operators in submitting appropriate [No Sail Order] response plans was compounded by several instances of potential non-compliance with the requirements of the April 15, 2020 Extension.” These include alleged improper disembarkations of crew and crew not adhering to social distancing on board.“ 

Almost appears the CDC is “punishing” the industry because of what happened early on. The disembark debacle (didn’t follow CDC) and the alleged partying by crew after ships were cleared of passengers. 

Full article here: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cdc-extends-no-sail-order-210532606.html?soc_src=hl-viewer&soc_trk=ma

@Jill Looks like they are creeping closer to our Oct. SOS sailing. I wonder if the lines will take the initiative and cancel into October or just hang on as long as they can. They may wait until the end of next month so they can see if what they are doing with the panel will be in their favor. Do you know if you can get a refund after opting for FCC and that cruise you use FCC for is canceled?

@Rene Desmarais I'm glad someone is trying to find a silver lining. :14_relaxed:

11 minutes ago, Mrs. Thomas said:

Do you know if you can get a refund after opting for FCC and that cruise you use FCC for is canceled?

Cash can be turned into an FCC but an FCC can never be turned into cash....at least, that's the way I understand it.  Back in the good ol' days, you could apply an FCC to a Paid-In-Full cruise and receive a CC refund but not anymore.

So if a cruise is cancelled where an FCC was used, the only cash you can get back would be any additional "new money" that you added in addition to the FCC.  The FCC will be reissued as a new FCC.