Anastasia

Worried about coronavirus

Hi all,

My family of 5 (consisting of all adults ranging from 30-77) have been booked on this upcoming vision of the seas cruises from Puerto Rico. With this whole corona virus fiasco and how fast it’s accelerating, I called RC and they didn’t seem to be concerned. I’m just concerned just because we have an elderly person in our group. What are you all planning to do?

I’m very concerned esp after reading this: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/jamaica-refuses-accept-cruise-ship-21575235?fbclid=IwAR3dACaQti14ydRYNYwhdmkXBw7o4VKI2J-8hWXgcZSFx4cDmu0J5bqpFuE

Im going to hope that my Royal Up bid gets accepted because people are irrational enough to cancel, and/or not go on their cruises. I will also worry more (which is to say hardly at all) about tripping over my kids toys and breaking my ankle, or getting in a car accident on the way to the port, or any other thing that is WAY more likely to happen. I will also wash my hands, and use hand sanitizer, as I ALWAYS do because people are disgusting, by nature.  

Something to keep in mind is The Mirror is a British tabloid newspaper, so sensationalizing news is their forté

Given your elderly person, this is a better question for their doctor.

Based on what we know right now, the risk of a cruise from Puerto Rico and going to the Caribbean is low in terms of the coronavirus.

What i am mostly worried about is the new policy in effect that they will deny boarding to people that are demonstring flu like symptoms??

How ridiculous is that? i mean if i catch a cold that means no cruise for me ? i understand that they want to take precaution but this is becoming ridiculous. how about if i get a cold on the ship or the flu they will throw me out?     also read about these islands that are refusing ships docking because some had a flu. The big problem about this is the paranoia and at this point if they will start acting like that then just cancel cruises completly. You cannot accept travelers having an experience like that. 

we are going on cruise april 19th out of puerto rico with our kids and it will be our first cruise. This story has brought negativity to it and i am very upset about it. 

Thanks so much for your replies. This recent corona virus that’s being blown out of proportion is not helping. I wasn’t nervous or scared in the beginning but recent news have made me a little nervous.

11 minutes ago, Anastasia said:

Exactly! This will be our second cruise ever and instead of looking forward to it, it’s filled with paranoia. 

It's never too late to book travel insurance! While fear wouldn't be a covered reason, if someone does get ill, or a doctor says the elderly family member cannot travel, hopefully you can get some costs back.

Speaking from my experience, once that one outspoken family member gets filled with paranoia (usually from too much news TV) it becomes stressful for all. You don't want to dismiss their concerns, but you also want to tell them to shut the *bleep* up. 🙂

Enjoy the cruise & welcome to the forums!

I have said this in other threads and I'll say it again here.  I am NOT worried about the coronavirus, per se.  I am more worried about the protocols and procedures the cruise lines and government agencies have been putting in place since this situation has started.

I agree that this matter has been exaggerated and sensationalized but we cannot deny that it has impacted the cruise industry.  For those of you who say not to worry, what would you have said to the passengers of the Costa Smeralda, the Diamond Princess, the Westerdam, the Meraviglia, and the other cruise ships being added to the list almost every week?

I know some of us are of the "abundance of caution" group while others are the "YOLOers".  I am of the former.  I'd suggest that, given the current conditions, if you can cancel your cruise, cancel it.  If the "ship has sailed" on your cancellation options, then just hope and pray that your luck is better than those of the aforementioned ships' passengers.

Another thought, especially if one of the ports you're visiting is on the watchlist:  Is your idea of a cruise vacation and excursion being screened heavily at those ports?  Would you be okay being surrounded by people in masks while exploring those great exotic destinations?  One thing I enjoy in visiting places is seeing the local culture and its people.  Ghost ports and ghost towns are not that interesting.

1 hour ago, gi333 said:

What i am mostly worried about is the new policy in effect that they will deny boarding to people that are demonstring flu like symptoms??

How ridiculous is that? i mean if i catch a cold that means no cruise for me ? i understand that they want to take precaution but this is becoming ridiculous. how about if i get a cold on the ship or the flu they will throw me out?     also read about these islands that are refusing ships docking because some had a flu. The big problem about this is the paranoia and at this point if they will start acting like that then just cancel cruises completly. You cannot accept travelers having an experience like that. 

we are going on cruise april 19th out of puerto rico with our kids and it will be our first cruise. This story has brought negativity to it and i am very upset about it. 

If you are referring to the MSC ship denied docking at Ocho Rios; it wasn’t due to the flu; it was due to the fact that the ilL crew member had been to a quarantined country within the incubation period. 

1 hour ago, gi333 said:

This is not a new policy, I have been cruising for over 20 years, if you show up with flu symptoms you would always be denied boarding (Corona Virus scare or not)

6 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

If you are referring to the MSC ship denied docking at Ocho Rios; it wasn’t due to the flu; it was due to the fact that the ilL crew member had been to a quarantined country within the incubation period. 

Whether it was due to the flu or not, they were still denied docking.  That is what I hate happening to me if I were sailing on that ship.

Just now, PG Cruiser said:

Whether it was due to the flu or not, they were still denied docking.  That is what I hate happening to me if I were sailing on that ship.

Agree completely, but the post I was quoting inferred ships were denied docking for the flu, and that is not correct 

I think it is important to have a healthy amount of fear. However, when that fear takes over your life and affects day-to-day activities I think a person should take a step back and assess. We don't know everything about the beer virus which is why the hyperactive news reporting has been able to spread unwarranted fear. I do think we should stop comparing it to the flu, but remain diligent in our hand washing. Also ANYTHING could happen at any moment for any reason.....dictator uprising, cannibalism, war etc that may stop a port from allowing a ship to dock.

Kitty GIF

11 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

cannibalism

Brain:  "you must resist the urge to joke about the dining package.....these people dont know your dark humor......"

me: "aww, itll be fine! these people get it......"

Brain: "remember last time...."

me: "I didnt like that job anyway...."