Healthy Cruising

27th Lady

1 hour ago, 27th Lady said:

Wondering if anyone has good strategies for trying to stay healthy while cruising. I love cruising so much but often find it inevitable to come home 5 lbs heavier than when I arrived! 

I think it comes down to self control and exercise. Doing things like grabbing a small sandwich at Cafe Promenade rather than a full meal at MDR or Windjammer will help. Taking the stairs as much as possible also helps.

I’ve given up desserts at dinner as well as the rolls. I get the salad, without dressing and I’ll add in shrimp. My breakfast is similar to home-egg whites, fruit and a carb-typically oatmeal-yep, boring!  Lunch can vary, I’ll skip altogether if I have a late breakfast or I’ll have salad and a healthy protein if I can find one-very challenging!  Late night pizza is none or once per cruise.  My preferred drink is vodka and seltzer with a splash of cranberry.  I don’t go overboard as I travel monthly.  Enjoy your trip-the pounds will come off when you go back to your normal eating.

Moderation and what the others said!  Agreed, it can be very hard with all that good food we don't normally have.  I don't usually see any weight gain but some days may feel a little more bloated from eating more than normal.  Good thing is, there's always a lot of walking involved in cruising.  Enjoy your trip and try not to worry too much about it!!

Small thing I have found makes a big difference: take the stairs, always.  Someone told me years ago and I always had until our last cruise when the two kids were too big to be carried.  I never realized how much a difference it made until I did not do it...5lb later

Plus, the stairs usually end up being quicker during busy times.  

11 hours ago, 27th Lady said:

Wondering if anyone has good strategies for trying to stay healthy while cruising. I love cruising so much but often find it inevitable to come home 5 lbs heavier than when I arrived! 

Ok in my expert medical opinion the easiest and most convenient way to do this without feeling like missing out on things is to do the following.

If you are going to use the elevator only do it if you are going more than 2 decks, otherwise use the stairs. If you are going to the bow or aft, use the elevator on the opposite end. So if you are in the middle of the ship and you want to go to the bow, walk to the aft elevators and vise versa.

Walk the running track 2-3 times after dinner or if you have a show then after the show.

Drink at least 1 glass of water before each meal. This will keep you hydrated and help to make you feel full without overeating. Always make sure you have at least one serving of raw or steamed vegetables at each meal.

Real easy to do... I eat whatever I want, drink whatever I want and never miss desert and I lose 2-3 lbs on every cruise.

We have a rule when cruising, no limits on food! lol

That being said, we are pretty health conscious people on land. Small portion sizes, no added salt, lots of fresh fruits and water/tea. Anyway, when on the cruise, we try to take the stairs as much as possible. Hubby is more active and goes to the gym, flowrider, and sometimes basketball/pickleball. I try to walk the track. What I find really helps is when we return home, drink lots of fluids (not the alcoholic kind lol) flushes out the sodium that was built up over the week on the cruise. A lot of the weight gain on a cruise is just from water retention from the excess sodium. We usually bounce back in a few days after each sailing. 

5 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We have a rule when cruising, no limits on food!

Hey, I have the same rule (as you obviously know, lol).

6 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

A lot of the weight gain on a cruise is just from water retention from the excess sodium.

100% this.

After several cruises with no issues, my legs/feet suddenly swelled up like balloons. Until I googled and learned it was a common cruising thing from the excess sodium, I was a little freaked out.

It went away after a few days but I now take Diurex water pills while cruising and they prevent 80-90% of the swelling.

I still gain plenty of weight from actual calories, of course, but 2-3 lbs. are definitely still from water retention even with the pills and those come off very quickly. Going back to eating healthy takes care of the rest... mostly.

In addition to LOTS of walking and taking the stairs as others have mentioned, there are a couple of things I always do.

1 - I order a fruit plate and coffee delivered to the room for breakfast. There is no charge and that is all I need to get my day started. None of the temptations of the excess of breakfast options in the windjammer!

2 - On the first night in the MDR, we tell the waiters to skip the bread basket for our table. No wasted food and with plenty of other options, we don't miss the bread.

32 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

After several cruises with no issues, my legs/feet suddenly swelled up like balloons. Until I googled and learned it was a common cruising thing from the excess sodium, I was a little freaked out.

After about 9 or so cruises this happened to me on our most recent cruises. At first I was very alarmed, but then heard someone else saying much the same thing. I don’t think I’d seen my ankles that large since pregnancy, which was a loooonnnggg time ago!

3 minutes ago, Kathleen said:

After about 9 or so cruises this happened to me on our most recent cruises. At first I was very alarmed, but then heard someone else saying much the same thing. I don’t think I’d seen my ankles that large since pregnancy, which was a loooonnnggg time ago!

Needless to say, having no personal pregnancy experience, I had never seen anything like it, lol.

I actually forgot my pills on one cruise... which was fortunately a shorter one and after some more googling onboard (hooray for Voom) learned that lying in bed and raising your legs up on the wall (where a headboard would be) helps some.

1 minute ago, OCSC Mike said:

Needless to say, having no personal pregnancy experience, I had never seen anything like it, lol.

I actually forgot my pills on one cruise... which was fortunately a shorter one and after some more googling onboard (hooray for Voom) learned that lying in bed and raising your legs up on the wall (where a headboard would be) helps some.

Sailing in January again. I am going to try the water pills you have tried with success. It’s more of an annoyance than anything but my rings feeling so tight on swollen fingers is also bothersome. Thanks.

I concur with the take the stairs and walk the long way strategies. I also don't really change my normal eating habits all that much on a cruise (i.e. I am not eating more or worse than I normally do, or eating things I wouldn't really eat normally - but I do enjoy the daily cream puff at the coffee shop). I prefer sit down over the buffet to keep consistent portion sizes, and I only eat when I am hungry. Lots of water throughout the day (in addition to plenty of cocktails - my drinking habits DO change with that drink package). I get up in the morning and walk the track while listening to an audio book. I always end the day with around 20,000 steps because we move around a lot! I do recommend doing the line dancing rather than fitness classes, way more fun and you still get cardio. Do I gain a few pounds? probably - but I am certainly not obsessing over it - I just manage it when I get home by getting back to my regular exercising, eating and drinking habits and it all settles out. I choose not to let the threat of a few extra pounds control my whole vacation.

I am a plus size woman, and I have yet to gain weight on a cruise, in fact I often lose a few pounds. Since I am wfh, I think being active and taking the stairs, aids in this. I eat more on a cruise than I do at home, but I do occasionally go the gym and walk the track at least once a day. I never limit my diet on a cruise, but I am also someone of a picky eater. Most of the food is freshly prepared and the only real issue is the salt, which can affect everyone differently. 

Great advice! I'd add
- start each meal with some veggies that you like
- find activities that you enjoy onboard & in port that can keep you active (for me it is the dance classes)
- try not to overeat at any one sitting (I know, easier said than done - but you'll feel better and you can always go get something to eat in an hour or two if you still want it)
- add some lean protein to whatever carbs you're eating to help slow your blood sugar from rising too quickly
- especially eat some protein for breakfast when our bodies are most insulin resistant

17 hours ago, 27th Lady said:

Get up and get moving at 6:00am (yes, it’s painful on vacation). Getting a good run or walk in before the sun comes up has always helped with the days and nights of excess while on a cruise. I also skip desserts which seems to help. 

5 minutes ago, Mike n Ky said:

That is one thing I have noticed the most...I think they must use a ton of salt in their food prep.

Most restaurants use a lot more salt that what home cooks use, it's not an RC thing. Ironically - the only speciality restaurant I've ever been to had underseasoned pasta (GT on Indy).

Things that have been mentioned

1) A lot of walking and taking the stairs. Until I started wearing a step counter I didn't realize how much I actually walked on the cruise

2) I try to be disciplined at breakfast and lunch, allowing me to indulge at dinner. Not as hard as I originally thought, much easier than at home. It's pretty easy to grab a salad for lunch

I eat well and keep things in check on the regular so I can do whatever on the cruise, and then when I get home I just increase my daily deficit a little (I track my calories in an app) and get back to my normal weight range within a few weeks. I find that just having a healthy lifestyle normally makes it a lot less likely I’ll go crazy on the cruise, because I’m so used to eating a certain way. That said, if I want it on a cruise I get it, lol.

I’m not preaching. This is just me sharing.

I’m a walker. Have been for decades. At least 30 minutes a day at home or aboard. Usually right after dinner. You can even break it up into several times a day, as long as it adds up to 30 minutes. It’s a good habit to get into. I know it’s not for everyone, especially those with mobility issues, but it’s considered one of the best, and easiest exercises. No preparation or scheduling required. I also do the stairs.

I do power walking. About 120 steps a minute. Swing the arms. Just enough to not look too goofy 🤪. The centrifugal force makes the heart work harder to pump the blood out my arms. I prefer a lower outdoor promenade deck over the running track as the sundeck is usually crowded. During bad weather, I’ll walk the passenger hallways. Maybe some of you have seen me on the Anthem…I'm the guy speeding along like he’s late for an appointment.

I don’t eat sweets or snacks…but I also don’t eat fish. At all. None. Hate it. Always did.

My eating habits are poor. Just coffee for breakfast. I eat lunch, usually a sandwich…and dinner. Lots of chicken and pasta dishes. Lots. And that’s it. Virtually no fruit or vegetables. No vitamins or supplements, mixes, potions or snake oils.

I get my numbers checked regularly and recently went through the cardiac screening process. For some inexplicable reason everything is normal or better. It could be a combination of metabolism, heredity and the walking. It certainly isn’t my diet.😁

Good luck, good health, stay safe and enjoy your cruising!