James Van Fleet no longer with RC

It's a shame to see James go!  He was very charismatic and had a knack for making bad weather a little more fun and interesting.  I looked forward to his updates as I prepared for my upcoming cruises.  From the sounds of his goodbye message, since he doesn't have any immediate career plans, I'm assuming he fell victim to Jason Liberty's continued cost cutting and dismantling of the amazing company Richard Fain built.  Considering I was on the fateful February 2016 sailing of the Anthem that necessitated the hiring of Mr. Van Fleet, I will feel a little less safe next time I sail with Royal.  Especially as we haven't heard Royal's plans for filling the void they've now created.

1 minute ago, Jjohnb said:

I will feel a little less safe next time I sail with Royal.  Especially as we haven't heard Royals plans for filling the void they've now created.

To each his own. I personally wouldn't worry about RC suddenly being unaware of how to forecast and handle the weather b/c a former local weatherman who was charismatic and gave social media updates is no longer there.

Nothing against JVF, I remember him when he was here in Orlando doing the local weather and hope he finds a new job.

2 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

To each his own. I personally wouldn't worry about RC suddenly being unaware of how to forecast and handle the weather b/c a former local weatherman who was charismatic and gave social media updates is no longer there.

Nothing against JVF, I remember him when he was here in Orlando doing the local weather and hope he finds a new job.

I was being facetious.  The meaning behind it is that Royal seems to let money drive their decisions just a little too much.  I get it, they are a business with an obligation to their shareholders, of which I am one.  However, it wasn't a "former local weatherman" and it wasn't Captain Claus who Royal made the fall guy who put my family and myself in harms way sailing a ship straight into the heart of a bomb cyclone with 150MPH winds, it was the guys pinching pennies in Miami who have now claimed Mr. Van Fleet.    

1 minute ago, Jjohnb said:

I was being facetious.

My bad, internet misunderstanding.

Sorry to hear about what you went through. I wasn't as into cruising in 2016 and don't remember that situation off the top of my head. Sounds awful. (Obviously I can google it.)

1 minute ago, OCSC Mike said:

My bad, internet misunderstanding.

Sorry to hear about what you went through. I wasn't as into cruising in 2016 and don't remember that situation off the top of my head. Sounds awful. (Obviously I can google it.)

No worries, I love Royal as much as anyone and have been sailing with them since the early 80s and will continue to.  It's just disappointing to see all of the many changes and ultimately downgrades to the experience.  Covid had a huge impact on the cruise industry and is forcing many hard decisions and changes.  I get it and understand it, I just don't have to like it.

6 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

Hopefully they get another meteorologist to take over.  

They really don't need one. They can outsource all that via accuweather or many other weather services. What they need to replace is someone to walk through cruise-specific concerns when there's weather. JVF did a great job with his videos laying out concerns for specific ships on specific dates.

8 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

Hopefully they get another meteorologist to take over.  

Somehow every other cruise line managed without a full time meteorologist.  

We've seen other high level positions retire and move such as over at Celebrity.  While unsure what led to this or why it was announced 18 days after I'd be surprised if it was backfilled.

It does make one wonder why it wasn't announced in April or on May 1st.  With nothing else apparently lined up it sounds like it wasn't his move.  

2 hours ago, instaGator said:

It may not be a cost cutting move.  He has had sudden layoffs before.  Here is one example: https://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/Ex-WTSP-meteorologist-sued-over-almost-60-000-owed-to-lawyers_170784447/

Pretty solid six figure salary but can only afford $300 per month payment.   That blows.  (or he does)

9 hours ago, Jjohnb said:

It's a shame to see James go!  He was very charismatic and had a knack for making bad weather a little more fun and interesting.  I looked forward to his updates as I prepared for my upcoming cruises.  From the sounds of his goodbye message, since he doesn't have any immediate career plans, I'm assuming he fell victim to Jason Liberty's continued cost cutting and dismantling of the amazing company Richard Fain built.  Considering I was on the fateful February 2016 sailing of the Anthem that necessitated the hiring of Mr. Van Fleet, I will feel a little less safe next time I sail with Royal.  Especially as we haven't heard Royal's plans for filling the void they've now created.

It was the amazing Richard Fain and Company that were too busy watching the Super Bowl and not concerned at all about their brand new, billion dollar Anthem of the Seas that February in 2016. I don't fault the Polish weather prediction outfit, they sorta forecasted the potential severity of the storm.  If we had more information, we could make a better judgment of Captian Claus; but I'm fairly certain he was just following orders. And under the bus he went....

I came to like JVF a lot. I was surprised when he was hired at the surprising length of leash he got and the ability to express his personality. He paved the way for this Blog, the dozens of RC-centric YouTubers, and especially crew members like Chris Wong and Jordan Bauth. 

We all owe JVF some gratitude for opening Royal's social media door.

As already mentioned it's just more cost cutting to show profits to shareholders. I worked for a big box car dealership and the founding CEO of the company believed in his people and believed that if the company treated the people as if they had value they would be invested in the company and in return always do the right thing for the company and it's customers. I know this because at a company function I had the opportunity to sit with him and talk. Unfortunately some of the executives below him felt they should be more focused on theirs and shareholders profits not so much the people who do the heavy lifting. So the board eventually forced him to step down. With that everything changed and all the extras us workers were getting eventually dried up. I do not know Richard Fain but from what I was able to assess it appeared he had a similar approach to leadership, did he always do the right thing probably not but it did seem he cared about the employees.  In 2008 the company I worked for let over 600 of us go in an effort to show a third quarter profit amidst a crashing economy. In the early days of entrepreneurship people didn't go to school to learn how to do business but today you need a business degree so you go to a college to learn how to do business. I think this is were we lost our way so now people go to school and are taught that this is the only way to do business. I'm not saying that Jason Liberty is doing the wrong thing I think he's trying show his value as new CEO unfortunately the only value he has is what he provides for shareholders.

From a PR perspective, it seems like having someone that can serve as the face for your company taking weather-related things seriously seems like a worth-while investment. Even though the models may very well be doing all of the work and the outcomes will be the same regardless, I think many appreciate - if nothing else, the appearance of - someone being able to explain the decision making process when their itinerary may or may not be changing and the sense of security the position existing may bring.

But yea it could be a strictly cost-saving layoff type deal if RC is in a spot where they are scraping bottom of the barrel - or perhaps its something more nefarious that we just don't know the details about. 

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

RC will probably pay his salary if not more for private tailored forecasts from one of the weather providers.

That expense (probably) already exists. His salary was in addition to what is (probably) paid for tailored meteorological data.

1 hour ago, ZBrady said:

From a PR perspective, it seems like having someone that can serve as the face for your company taking weather-related things seriously seems like a worth-while investment. Even though the models may very well be doing all of the work and the outcomes will be the same regardless, I think many appreciate - if nothing else, the appearance of - someone being able to explain the decision making process when their itinerary may or may not be changing and the sense of security the position existing may bring.

I hope Royal's bean counters factored in the cost of all the free PR they would receive when they planned this last cost cutting exercise.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/743ae22f-5a98-306e-89c8-8bdc6afd434d/royal-caribbean-loses-a-key.html

There were some dubious social media posts by Van Fleet which may have been a factor.  I imagine corporate policy would be to be politically neutral and support an inclusive guest community.  Apart from that, I agree that a weather expert would be a plus for Royal.

22 hours ago, Jjohnb said:

I hope Royal's bean counters factored in the cost of all the free PR they would receive when they planned this last cost cutting exercise.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/743ae22f-5a98-306e-89c8-8bdc6afd434d/royal-caribbean-loses-a-key.html

Interesting that Royal was the only cruise line to hire someone for this purpose and the others did not.  So, did Royal decide it’s a cost cutting? did they look at the past 6.5 years and see no issues with the other cruise lines while von Fleet was in its employ and decide it was a waste of $?  That article mentions an awful Christmas sailing…were there others that could have potentially been avoided?

Or was it a falling out over something he’s said or done?  Normal people don’t leave a job without having one lined up.  Most people don’t leave “retroactively”. 

People come and people go in their employment situations. It has always been thus, only Mr. Van Fleet & Royal Caribbean know for sure. And for FWIW my opinion; was his job more a PR thing as a consequence of the incident at sea mentioned?  There are TV meteorologists and there are meteorologists. There is a difference. And there are hybrids like Dr. Greg Forbes  and Tom Niziol formerly of the Weather Channel. Dr. Forbes was a scientist & academic before he was in TV. Mr. Niziol was "in the trenches" for 30 years, a forecaster with the National Weather Service. These guys knew their stuff, especially Dr. Forbes, who made nerdy weather understandable and enjoyable. Mr. Niziol's specialty was winter weather.............in Buffalo, NY! The TV meteorologists in our market in Orlando probably are better versed in hair, makeup, & wardrobe selection. And, everyone's source that they spin into a forecast is the same, from NOAA or member nations of the World Meteorological Organization and their arsenal of satellites and computers. 

On 5/19/2023 at 9:09 AM, Bmac said:

As already mentioned it's just more cost cutting to show profits to shareholders. I worked for a big box car dealership and the founding CEO of the company believed in his people and believed that if the company treated the people as if they had value they would be invested in the company and in return always do the right thing for the company and it's customers. I know this because at a company function I had the opportunity to sit with him and talk. Unfortunately some of the executives below him felt they should be more focused on theirs and shareholders profits not so much the people who do the heavy lifting. So the board eventually forced him to step down. With that everything changed and all the extras us workers were getting eventually dried up. I do not know Richard Fain but from what I was able to assess it appeared he had a similar approach to leadership, did he always do the right thing probably not but it did seem he cared about the employees.  In 2008 the company I worked for let over 600 of us go in an effort to show a third quarter profit amidst a crashing economy. In the early days of entrepreneurship people didn't go to school to learn how to do business but today you need a business degree so you go to a college to learn how to do business. I think this is were we lost our way so now people go to school and are taught that this is the only way to do business. I'm not saying that Jason Liberty is doing the wrong thing I think he's trying show his value as new CEO unfortunately the only value he has is what he provides for shareholders.

Mr. Fain never had to deal with the aftermath and recovery of losing $45B.  

It was largely Jason Liberty who was behind the scenes, in the trenches, negotiating with creditors and navigating the financial stormy seas that kept the company alive during the shutdown. 

I can see why the board had confidence in Liberty.    

No disrespect meant for Richard Fain who accomplished great things over his tenure.  He impacted the entire cruise industry in a good way.  

I can also he see why he wouldn't want to stay in a position to make the cuts and adjustments required to continue keeping the company alive in the face of a mountain of debt.  Indeed a lot of the service cuts we all face come from Jason Liberty but that is the reality he is facing still trying to lead the company through the turbulent waters of massive, crushing debt.  While I point the finger at Jason Liberty I also recognize that his priority is keeping the company afloat.  All that debt didn't disappear once they started booking 100% capacity.  That debt is an albatross around the company's neck and will be through the next decade and beyond.  

From Royal Caribbean Cruises Long Term Debt 2010-2023 | RCL | MacroTrends

In the 2010s, the company carried between 5 and 9 billion in debt on the books. Now there is $20 billion. They've got to pay that off somehow. I don't think firing the weatherman will make much of a dent in it, but I guess every little bit helps.

19 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Just the same, some of the most famous companies are deeply in debt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_indebted_companies

Forget famous companies - the United States of America is the world's largest debtor (more than double the next highest, Japan).

43 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Daniels?

Whether or not Stormy applies, it is said someone like her would be cost effective for Royal as their presence on the ship doesn’t count against the lifeboat capacity since she has her own floatation devices. 
I don’t know if this is correct.

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not sure if you can see me cringing from over here...

Jayme King from Fox35 has some charisma but I think he's happy doing the morning weather 5 days/week and spending the rest of his time fishing around central Florida.

What I'm most curious about is now that Royal is now hiring for that position again, why was Mr. Van Fleet let go in the first place. We could only speculate. First thought would be if he was up for contract renewal either Royal offered a lower salary and he refused it, or he wanted a higher salary and Royal refused it. 

5 minutes ago, USFFrank said:

What I'm most curious about is now that Royal is now hiring for that position again, why was Mr. Van Fleet let go in the first place. We could only speculate. First thought would be if he was up for contract renewal either Royal offered a lower salary and he refused it, or he wanted a higher salary and Royal refused it. 

Doubt we will ever know but the link in post 9 provides some color.